Off Topic - Career Advice

I only skimmed the replies, but it sounds like a couple years ago you got another offer and used it to get a raise? I would only do that once per employer. If you want to talk to your current employer, I'd approach it differently and gently. Something like "hey, this inflation is getting pretty fierce, are you able to help us out on that?"
If they're in a position to give raises to retain people, they should be looking for clues like that. If that gets their attention and starts a conversation, then maybe open up and tell them what's going on. But otherwise, I wouldn't tell them you've got another offer. I know a guy who never stops looking for a job. Don't make management think you're that guy.

I'm a software engineer. I stayed 10 years at my last employer and in the end I was bored out of my mind and feeling trapped. I had some very open conversations with 2nd level management because it looked they may cancel the project I was on. I was telling them after being on that project 5 years anything else would be like a new job, so I'm up for anything. I'm ready to shake things up and do something new, etc. I was not looking for an external job, but they probably thought I was. I was just genuinely interested in finding something new within the company. I hadn't updated my resume in a decade. But when there was a layoff early in covid they cancelled the project I was on and laid me off. It was awesome, though it took my wife a few weeks to warm up to the idea. I now work for a "remote first" tech startup. Its great money, and extreme flexibility on working hours.

I stayed too long because there isn't comperable work in the place I live. Any new job I thought would start with moving. But covid changed that. If you want remote work you can probably find it. I highly recommend a "remote first" company. I wouldn't want to be a remote employee at a primarily onsite company. I'd be concerned about getting left out of important conversations. But when the whole company is remote, no one is left out.

I'm not sure if somebody has addressed this. You say the main income boost is coming from a better healthcare plan. As an employer, I will tell you that can change year to year. I would only consider the move from a monetary standpoint if it was a salary increase. And by all means, approach your employer. Even if they don't match, you haven't burned a bridge. Never know who you're gonna see again along the road of jobs :-)

You guys were great help on this last year. Thank you.

Last year I decided to stay put and not rock the boat from my current employer as they gave me a good raise as part of their typical company year end salary adjustments. So I never brought it up.

Now fast forward to 2023… i have accepted a job at the County Highway Dept. as an assistant highway commissioner. I have wanted to try the public side of engineering and am ready for a change of pace. The pay is equal to my current job.

Now I don’t know how this happened exactly, if people heard through the grapevine or what, but I now have offers from two other engineering firms (same one from last year again and my employer from 5 years ago). They both approached me. I accepted the offer from the county already, and am suppose to start mid February. The one offer is $8-9K more per year than the county so it’s quite tempting.

I’m sitting here having an early mid life crisis 😆 do I go with the money, which would keep me in a similar career path-consulting engineering. Or do I make the transition to a little bit differ career at the county with less pay.

I have always thought about being on the public side of engineering with a more laid back work environment. I do not enjoy some aspects of consulting engineering but the money is better long term for sure. Now with this other offer, the money is also better immediately so I’m rethinking my decision on the County Job. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Idk that’s a tough life choice county job likely has a pension program of some sort but the difference in pay can make some healthy investments to offset the difference. Maybe try the county job a while 6 months see how you like it I suspect other opportunities will still be there in 6 months. This economy is bat shit crazy job opportunities everywhere high inflation and the Fed is desperate to put us in recession there is also a housing shortage to top it all off.

I think I would have a hard time turning my back on that kinda salary increase......provided you would like the work. Job satisfaction goes a long way in this world. As said....maybe try the public side.....it would add to your resume......and I'd bet those other offers would still be there if you were to jump ship. Nice to have options.

Here's what comes to mind in the time it takes me to type it...

- backing out now you may burn a bridge with the county - would that ba a problem for you?
- the fed is still raising rates and almost always overshoots, leading to recession. A government job may be more secure heading into this economic environment. Don't ignore the value of that.
- in my corner of the engineering world, changing jobs after 1 year in a job is not a bad thing unless you do it every year
- if you're getting these offers without even trying, what else is out there for you if you actually tried to look around? You might take the higher offer now then in a few months realize you could have done better yet. What then?

I'd lean towards telling the other offers you're very flattered but you've made a commitment to a new position and you're a man of your word, so you need to follow through on that.
Check it out for 6 months and decide if you want to stay long term or not. If not, start a thorough search for a new opportuntiy aiming to turn in your notice shortly after the 1 year mark. Include everyone who reached out to you this time, but also look for as many other opportunities as you can.

Work for the county for 3 years. If you hate it - leave. Be a man of your word. Take 1/2 of November off.

I had a nice job as a tech. I just did my work and went home.

Now I’m the boss and I hate it! Not taking your work home is worth a lot.

The extra money is hard to sneeze at but I don't know a single Gov worker that puts in overtime or has to crunch to meet a deadline or gives a crap.

I just came from motor vehicle today so maybe I'm sinister. Those Mama's make it a point to tick off the customer just for making them do something.

"Government work" is an oxymoron.

If it is an engineering firm, they scale up for project work and scale down quickly. Not always a stable job.

If you only chase the money, you will never be happy. If your resume shows you are a job hopper, eventually the right job can come along and the employer could pass on you as they can't afford to invest in short timers. I know when I review resumes I get concerned when I see a history of short term stints.

Last edited:
If I was in your shoes, I would thank the two companies that made offers and let them know you will be taking the county job because you've already accepted their offer. No bridges burned and if the county job isn't quite what you hoped then you could always look back at the private sector in a year or two.

I know a few guys who work at county and in their words they do not work hard at all. Sounds like a lot of card games.

As a fellow engineer, here's my 2 cents on that. I interned with PennDOT when I was in college. Never worked for a state/county agency but I work with them a lot in my current position.

For state/county/township jobs you get in early and stay for the long haul for the pension (which a lot don't even offer anymore) and the benefits. PennDOT has started paying entry level engineers more but their upper levels, the pay gap between private and public is very wide. The other good thing is it is a much more relaxed atmosphere, no rat race. I've looked into these jobs for that reason but I just can't justify taking that big of a pay cut. Even coming in at a higher level, you're still stuck in their set vacation and pay bumps. I'm certainly not going back to 2 weeks of vacation for the year.

Private work as you already I'm sure, is much faster paced. We're currently understaffed with a ton of work coming up and they still won't let me hire anyone because we don't have firm start dates for any of it. When it does start they'll just tell me well it's too late to hire someone now and get them trained up.

I had a chance to work for PennDOT full time out of college but turned the job down because the starting salary was so low. Now I think about it and I'd almost have 25 years in and could probably retire and go work for a private firm and double dip.

If I was in your shoes, I would thank the two companies that made offers and let them know you will be taking the county job because you've already accepted their offer. No bridges burned and if the county job isn't quite what you hoped then you could always look back at the private sector in a year or two.
This is what I am leaning towards right now. A few of you guys mentioned this and it makes since. This position at the county may not be open again for some time. I can try it out and see if the environment is for me or not. If I like it, I will stay and there may be opportunities to move up a position or two in the future. The pay and benefits are good and with lower stress/time commitment I could do some side jobs I enjoy for extra cash to make up the difference...

There is so much infrastructure money that work in civil/municipal consulting engineering is not going to slow down for the next 5-10 years. The projects are still ramping up. PFAS has started a boat load of water treatment work that is just in the works and they will keep finding it in more communities. The WDNR seems to only be pushing more upgrades/replacements for water and wastewater facilities. Many communities built these systems 50-60 years ago and have done little since, so the DNR is pushing some communities to make necessary upgrades. I think the jobs will be available for some time. I can move back and take my time to shop the market if I do

Depends on your age. If you’re in 30s or even early 40s, I would take the higher paying, higher tempo job while you still have the drive and energy. If you have the discipline to invest 1/2 of the extra that you take home, you could cut years off of your working life. Take the county job when your retirement is on cruise control and you’d rather meme more than work, at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I am leaning towards right now. A few of you guys mentioned this and it makes since. This position at the county may not be open again for some time. I can try it out and see if the environment is for me or not. If I like it, I will stay and there may be opportunities to move up a position or two in the future. The pay and benefits are good and with lower stress/time commitment I could do some side jobs I enjoy for extra cash to make up the difference...

There is so much infrastructure money that work in civil/municipal consulting engineering is not going to slow down for the next 5-10 years. The projects are still ramping up. PFAS has started a boat load of water treatment work that is just in the works and they will keep finding it in more communities. The WDNR seems to only be pushing more upgrades/replacements for water and wastewater facilities. Many communities built these systems 50-60 years ago and have done little since, so the DNR is pushing some communities to make necessary upgrades. I think the jobs will be available for some time. I can move back and take my time to shop the market if I do

Here is another thought to consider. I'm not real familiar with local governments, and there is a lot of variation from place to place. In the federal government, the 80-20 rule applies, 20% of the folks do 80% of the work. There are some federal agencies that are full of very sharp hard working folks, and other agencies that are almost pure bureaucracy. I knw many high end companies that deal with the federal government recruit directly from the government. I presume this would be true at the county level as well. Navigating government bureaucracy is a real challenge. Folks who understand how that process works and can make sure a companies proposal doesn't get hung up based on some stupid technicality are quite valuable.

So, my point is, taking the count job may have long term benefits for you even if you decided to leave in a few years. You may be worth more to a commercial employer because of your government experience.

Thanks,

Jack

Depends on your age. If you’re in 30s or even early 40s, I would take the higher paying, higher tempo job while you still have the drive and energy. If you have the discipline to invest 1/2 of the extra that you take home, you could cut years off of your working life. Take the county job when your retirement is on cruise control and you’d rather meme more than work, at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good thoughts for sure. This county position may not be open when I want it to be. So that being the case I am going to take it and then do some work on the side if I want to. The opportunities outside the county to go back to the private/consulting side are numerous right now and I could make that change anytime in the next few years with how the work outlook is right now.

A couple years ago I switched employers. Lasted at the new place 6 months before deciding to go back to my original employer. Go above and beyond to not burn a bridge if you make the move. Sure glad I did. I was welcomed back with open arms. The grass aint always greener is a true statement. Loyalty means something. Good luck in your decision! You are in high demand! Capitalizing on that is wise:) Take that money an invest it wisely so you can retire early! An buy green tractors like Foggy;)

A couple years ago I switched employers. Lasted at the new place 6 months before deciding to go back to my original employer. Go above and beyond to not burn a bridge if you make the move. Sure glad I did. I was welcomed back with open arms. The grass aint always greener is a true statement. Loyalty means something. Good luck in your decision! You are in high demand! Capitalizing on that is wise:) Take that money an invest it wisely so you can retire early! An buy green tractors like Foggy;)
That's all I've been doing the last 3 weeks is finishing my stuff or outlining the next steps on my projects...just trying to be good leaving as they have been good to me while I was here.. And your right, I may miss this type of work and people here and be back, who knows!