Odd sight

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
I had a first tonight while bow hunting. I saw a young raccoon climb a large Hackberry tree. I couldnt figure out what it was doing at first. The darn thing started climbing as far out as it could and eating the berrys. Hackberrys?! Those things look like they are dried up rabbit turds. I cant believe that would be a preferred raccoon food. This was right next to a freshly picked cornfield. Anybody else ever seen raccoons feed on Hackberrys? I couldnt believe that coon didnt fall out of the tree. It was 50' up on branches no bigger than my thumb.

It's common. I know that coon hunters struggle with their dogs false treeing on hackberries due to the large amount of scent/urine.

A couple of years ago I had two coons climb a tree right beside me right at dark. I think they were eating from the grape vines but it was too dark to be sure. They were at the very top of the tree on branches that would make a squirrel nervous. The tree they climbed was a walnut so I am sure they weren't eating those.

It's common. I know that coon hunters struggle with their dogs false treeing on hackberries due to the large amount of scent/urine.

Interesting. I learned something new today!

Not trying to one-up anyone - did anyone ever see a porky in the uppermost limbs of an oak chewing limbs off? Some years ago I came into an area that was loaded with fresh cut oak tips. They were all over the ground. I was thinking bears maybe. It was a beautiful evening, so I thought I'd sit in my tree stand for a while to watch the moon come up. I heard limbs dropping every minute or so. When the moon finally came up, I could see the culprit. A porky was clear out at the ends of limbs cutting them down. Don't know what he was gonna eat - the wood or the acorns. I never saw one do that before that night.