nut and seed trade 2014

N

non-pro-archer

It's that time of year and this is such a great resource for us
I have enough of 2 varieties of trailing wild bean for a few members to get some and I will have a lot of persimmon and a couple wild apple trees I can get some seeds from if anyone is interested

I'm looking for DCO, sawtooth, and gobbler sawtooth

This is a great idea, but would add that everyone participating should make sure to have their growing zones publicly posted/available.

So far I have collected around 450 English Oak (member of the white oak family) acorns from a tree in Zone 5; if anyone wants some, you should contact me via pm. They are float tested and in the fridge; however, if anyone want to direct seed this fall, you ought to get to planting. Will be gathering large swamp white oak acorns and big Bur Oak acorns in zone 5 during the next couple of weeks.

I looking for some chestnuts if anyone wants to sell or barter.

I looking for some chestnuts if anyone wants to sell or barter.
I'm thinking about getting some from chestnut ridge maybe we could split an order?

I only need a couple dozen. I want to start them over winter inside.

I had a fair amount of chestnut crab seeds, but scattered them over a sprayed area this week. I doubt any will grow and should have offered to share some.

I had a fair amount of chestnut crab seeds, but scattered them over a sprayed area this week. I doubt any will grow and should have offered to share some.
Will chestnut crabs grow true to seed?

I'm looking for sawtooth (any variety), dwarf chinkapin, chinkapin and any other white oaks that may be available. I will have some Dunstan chestnuts for trading purposes, if desired.

I'd like to get about a dozen Dunstan's and maybe the same of sawtooth. I will have some persimmon seeds soon. Most everything I got and started last year got wiped out by heat while I was away for a family emergency. Only thing that survived were 4 Dolgo crabs.

I'm looking for sawtooth (any variety), dwarf chinkapin, chinkapin and any other white oaks that may be available. I will have some Dunstan chestnuts for trading purposes, if desired.
I'll have outstanding SWOs off a parent tree that cranks out LOTS of BIG acorns on a very REGULAR BASIS; I'd love to swap for Chestnuts. I'll even let you choose the trade terms; except, I can't get 4000 acorns off this tree. :-) Also will have a limited number of large Bur Oak acorns from a consistent producer. Give me a shout if you want to work something out regarding a trade.

looking for anything that will survive zone 3. only thing I have to offer in return are bur oak acorns. I'm seeing lots of little acorns too, so not much for size around here.

I'm going to have hundreds of foot tall white oaks next spring for barter. I might use my backhoe to dig out the tap root, if that is needed.

2014 Chestnuts 3 - 5 mo in jug_opt.jpg You might; here's the growth ( 4 foot + root) on a chestnut in less than 5 months.2014 Chestnuts 2- 5 mo in jug_opt.jpg 2014 Chestnuts 2- 5 mo in jug_opt.jpg

I am hoping to collect some crabapple seeds this weekend. Hopefully quite a few of them. All from zone 3.

#1 seems like a dolgo - pic is pretty poor quality, they are from an old tree in the farm yard that produces a ton every year. Lost a large branch in a storm 2 years ago.

#2 seems like a chestnut crab maybe? Picture is from Aug 23. Apple is probably 2 inches.

I may also collect some bur oak acorns depending on how many I find.

I am hoping to collect some crabapple seeds this weekend. Hopefully quite a few of them. All from zone 3.

#1 seems like a dolgo - pic is pretty poor quality, they are from an old tree in the farm yard that produces a ton every year. Lost a large branch in a storm 2 years ago.

#2 seems like a chestnut crab maybe? Picture is from Aug 23. Apple is probably 2 inches.

I may also collect some bur oak acorns depending on how many I find.

what do you have to doffer to get dolgo and chestnut crabs to go from seed? just throw em in the fridge like acorns and plant them like oaks?

what do you have to doffer to get dolgo and chestnut crabs to go from seed? just throw em in the fridge like acorns and plant them like oaks?

I have never done it before so I do not know. I was thinking about starting a thread and hopefully get some input from the people that have.

They need to be put in the refrigerator for a couple month before they will sprout. I would start a thread in the fruit tree forum and you should get a lot of information on the subject

If you have that many of them just layer them out and throw an inch of dirt on them.

I've heard of float testing acorns before, but I'm not sure how it's done or what result you want to get. Any info out there?

Thanks, Stu.