Not impressed.

My 2019 trees from SLN looked about the same but they all are doing well. The trees I received from NWC in 2018 and 2019 were many times bigger than my SLN trees. But...they offer different varieties, I’ll continue to buy from both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are going to buy from SLN, you need to be buying from them for the right reasons. Either you want trees that are on Antonovka seedling rootstock or you want the unusual varieties that only SLN offers. If those two things matter to you, then you take what you get. If you don't care about that, you should be buying elsewhere.

I imagine it would be hard for SLN to give up revenue by growing trees for an extra year or putting money into building inventory to allow that. Northern NY is a miserable climate to run a fruit tree nursery.

That all makes sense but when you compare them to trees under the previous owner they are not even close. His problem is he is being compared to the trees they sold before he took over. I imagine he is doing the grafting himself. It shouldn’t cost him much to build the inventory. This his is his third shipping season and still sending pencils.

Interesting. I posted in my land tour thread about the difference in two shipments from the wildlife group. The first group of ten that I ordered two years ago were pretty pathetic looking compared to the seven I ordered this year. I just didn’t know the difference until this year’s trees arrived. On the bright side, three of those first trees are now about 12 feet tall. A couple others are out of their five foot tall tubes and a couple are still pretty small. The others didn’t survive. These new ones are all over five feet tall except for one and it’s only about six inches shorter. Hopefully in three or four years I won’t know the difference. Maybe different growing years just have a big impact. I don’t have enough knowledge or experience to really Have enough of on option right now. Only time will tell.

The last time I bought from Stark two years ago they did that to me. I paid for top end and they sent me small stuff, half have died and the other half that lived is still small slow growing. I had bought from them in the past and trees were nice and grew well...I'm done with them.

Like Chummer I knew what this was going to be about when I saw the title. I got 4 Kerr last week that wouldn't clear 18 inches and actually made me laugh when I saw them. I had a problem last year with them and they never sent my order. I ended up getting a refund and I decided to give them a second chance. No business charging $30 a tree for what they are shipping out. I am hoping the trees eventually do ok.

I picked up my Blue Hill order the day after the SLN trees came, I should have taken a picture of the two orders next to each other. If I was looking for the Antonovka rootstock I think I would just go with Ryan at Blue Hill and Dolgo rootstock. I was impressed with his trees, I told Ryan he should be charging more for his trees after seeing what SLN sent me.

0413181534.jpg
I had the same thing happen to me 2 years ago. I ordered an AWH and a Kerr. The AWH was a decent sized tree while the Kerr was pretty small. They sent me a Haralson and explained that it was a replacement for the small Kerr. The Kerr seems to be catching up. If I remember right I think it's about 4 ft now.

View attachment 28897
I had the same thing happen to me 2 years ago. I ordered an AWH and a Kerr. The AWH was a decent sized tree while the Kerr was pretty small. They sent me a Haralson and explained that it was a replacement for the small Kerr. The Kerr seems to be catching up. If I remember right I think it's about 4 ft now.

My Kerr on B 118 have been extremely slow growing with very little scion. One had a no fruit Year in 2019 and I had just a small amount of scion. They did bear well. Maybe I should have pulled blossoms off for more than about 4 years. Or maybe I should put them on dolgo.

I am not real impressed with B 118 other than it bears early. I have Hazen, Centennial, Kerr , on it.

Blue Hill has some great dolgo rootstock and I think his longer growing season generates good growth.

My Kerr on B 118 have been extremely slow growing with very little scion. One had a no fruit Year in 2019 and I had just a small amount of scion. They did bear well. Maybe I should have pulled blossoms off for more than about 4 years. Or maybe I should put them on dolgo.

I am not real impressed with B 118 other than it bears early. I have Hazen, Centennial, Kerr , on it.

Blue Hill has some great dolgo rootstock and I think his longer growing season generates good growth.

To be fair that Kerr was also planted on the edge of my woods orchard and has a lot of root competition. I am still impressed how it has done despite its size upon arrival and it's growing conditions. Not that it has made great strides but it has done better than I thought it would.

In my experience with SLN trees and Antonovka rootstock, it takes a couple years for the roots to get established. Not a lot of growth at first. But when they kick in, they really take off. Antonovka roots look more like carrots than the hairy, massed roots of other rootstocks. But they turn out fine.

When Bill MacKentley owned SLN, all the trees I got were over 3 ft. tall and averaged 1/2" caliper when shipped. Most were whips - only a couple had a branch or 2.

I think maybe the new owner, Connor, ought to consider keeping some of his "high demand trees" to grow another year. If folks are going to abandon SLN because of tree size, he might be further ahead in the long run. Graft more of the popular crabs than the usual number, and keep part of those for an extra year. Keep grafting larger numbers and letting them get size to them until he gets ahead of the curve. He could also charge less for smaller trees in the meantime. But he should send out a letter or e-mail explaining what his plan is for getting some "banked" trees, so they're larger.

Blue Hill has a good selection of trees on good roots (Dolgo) and others. His trees are great looking. I have to wonder if his trees are all selling out each year, if he'll find himself in the same boat as SLN - not being able to keep up or get ahead. Trees HAVE to have time to grow if people want bigger, feathered trees when they buy them.

^ Agree with everything bows.
Still order there cause I'm looking for specific features like someone else above stated.

Maybe I'm different, but I prefer to receive nonfeathered trees. Let's me shape them how I want. Have received some goofy misshapen trees in the past.

Last edited:
In my experience with SLN trees and Antonovka rootstock, it takes a couple years for the roots to get established. Not a lot of growth at first. But when they kick in, they really take off. Antonovka roots look more like carrots than the hairy, massed roots of other rootstocks. But they turn out fine.

When Bill MacKentley owned SLN, all the trees I got were over 3 ft. tall and averaged 1/2" caliper when shipped. Most were whips - only a couple had a branch or 2.

I think maybe the new owner, Connor, ought to consider keeping some of his "high demand trees" to grow another year. If folks are going to abandon SLN because of tree size, he might be further ahead in the long run. Graft more of the popular crabs than the usual number, and keep part of those for an extra year. Keep grafting larger numbers and letting them get size to them until he gets ahead of the curve. He could also charge less for smaller trees in the meantime. But he should send out a letter or e-mail explaining what his plan is for getting some "banked" trees, so they're larger.

Blue Hill has a good selection of trees on good roots (Dolgo) and others. His trees are great looking. I have to wonder if his trees are all selling out each year, if he'll find himself in the same boat as SLN - not being able to keep up or get ahead. Trees HAVE to have time to grow if people want bigger, feathered trees when they buy them.

I have personally talked to Ryan at Blue Hill and he has told me that he will not sell a tree that he wouldn't want to receive himself. Knowing this I am inclined to believe that he would rather sell out than sell an inferior tree.
Now with that being said I'm not trying to imply that SLN is selling inferior trees. I would absolutely order from SLN again. Like you said Bows, Standard roots need time to catch up and mine are catching up. I do have to admit I was a little sceptical and disappointed when I opened up the box and saw that Kerr tree but I appreciated him sending another tree as a replacement. The All Winter Hangover was a nice looking tree and is also doing good. At the time, as well as presently, I believe SLN was maybe overwhelmed with orders for certain varieties and was & is just trying to keep everyone happy. I also wonder if his growing season may effect the growth in his Nursery. I'm inclined to believe the same variety on the same rootstock grown at SLN vs one grown at Blue Hill would have less growth. I could very well be wrong .Just my opinion.

What's the difference if he waits a year to let it grow or you plant it and let it grow in your care, and grow it the way you want to grow it?! These are SUPER hard to find varieties that your talking about, so they're in high demand. You got the tree you wanted. One year isn't going to make that much difference in the grand scheme of things :)

I think the difference is buying a year or 2. Some of us don't like getting green bananas lol. The Kerr I got 2 yrs ago was probably 14" tall. After 2 whole growing seasons it's now 24" tall. I'd say that spot in the orchard is falling years behind.

View attachment 28902
Here is a picture Ryan sent me of Chestnut & Roadkill Crabs he just grafted on Dolgo & Antonovka rootstock.

344c41afe0bf398f21f2f72b79211773.jpg

Good source of chestnut scion! It is probably on some of those trees.

I just got my Kerr & Chesnut crabs late last week from SLN. Main stem max at around 30-36" and small caliper diameter. Root development minimal with one main root and a secondary root, the balance root hairs. At best these might be a 2-1 Transplant that I am used to paying $4-5 for. These are no where near at $25 tree, will be my last order with them.

SNL doesn’t use fertilizer either. At least they used to claim that. Not sure where that factors in.

SNL doesn’t use fertilizer either. At least they used to claim that. Not sure where that factors in.

I am all for supporting the these nurseries as they change ownership and the and continue the tradition. They just have to realize that supplying a sub standard product, especially to an experienced group like folks here, is not a start. I understand a start-up transition in ownership, but paying prices at quality stock rates and not getting that not good.

Maybe some of the NY folks here should share a link to this thread and say here is some feedback ... fyi type of stuff. Every business needs feedback and we all need good sources for fruit trees.

I am all for supporting the these nurseries as they change ownership and the and continue the tradition. They just have to realize that supplying a sub standard product, especially to an experienced group like folks here, is not a start. I understand a start-up transition in ownership, but paying prices at quality stock rates and not getting that not good.

Maybe some of the NY folks here should share a link to this thread and say here is some feedback ... fyi type of stuff. Every business needs feedback and we all need good sources for fruit trees.
I talked to him about it when I got mine a couple years ago. I was very supportive of him and tried to tell him what was expected. I said he should explain the difference in quality between his tree sand previous owners. He basically told me it is what it is.