Not impressed.

Some have been slow growing from SLN, but my Trailman is going like mad. It is great for cider, applesauce, and for getting deer started to a location in late August. With time, SLN trees are doing well except for one I put in a poor location.

All of my Trailman were mixed with Centennial for apple sauce.

I have pretty much switched to dolgo rootstock as it does well and I ain’t gettin any younger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered from SLN one time in 2016 I think and these trees are still my smallest and most stunted looking and the most expensive ones I ever bought.
I’ll stick with ACN which is 25 minutes away or TC.
If I really wanted the SLN varieties, I’d attempt to get scion off some guys

I ordered from SLN one time in 2016 I think and these trees are still my smallest and most stunted looking and the most expensive ones I ever bought.
I’ll stick with ACN which is 25 minutes away or TC.
If I really wanted the SLN varieties, I’d attempt to get scion off some guys

My experience there got me into grafting for just that reason. So I am blaming him for that addiction too!

I think it is good for us all to share our experiences with each other here on HT but Unfortunately the thing we say here are seen by a lot of lurkers who wish to gain knowledge and the things we say could affect his business. We've all had some good and some not so perfect experiences with SLN but overall nothing terrible. Still a good nursery.

I think the take away from this therad should be, if you want large trees that are going to start producing a few apples in a few years then you should buy trees from another nursery.

With that being said the trees that you order from SLN are going to be good trees and are probably going to still be around long after you, me and any colonal rootstock

Ok so to offer up my experience about SLN this year. Packaged well, delivery was quick enough without being in UPS land over the weekend, they have a nice selection of harder to find varieties, I was sent with what I ordered, price nothing special but limited available options to find elsewhere and size was a bit on the small side.

I went with SLN because that darn Sandbur got me interesting in checking up on a few hard to finds and of course Winter Wildlife crab is always spoken of well. Maybe next year I have to hit up someone for some Buckman scions for all the extra work I did this spring to make sure my investment pays off. I normally just get some seedlings from local conservation group and tube em and half don't make it no big deal.

g squared 23, post #57 - You mentioned Winter Wildlife crabs from SLN. We have 4 of them at camp and they DO grow like crazy. They're our fastest growers & quickest producers.
I love the WW crabs. No hassle at all for us.

We have a bunch of SLN trees, most purchased when the MacKentley's owned it yet. If we still had more open room to plant additional trees, I'd buy from SLN again, but as someone else said - not for common trees like Liberty, Goldrush, Enterprise, etc. SLN's crabs have all been very good for us, and so have Prairie Spy, Wolf River, N.Y. 35"Bonkers", and Minnesota 1734.

I'd like to know why SLN's trees are so much smaller these days.

g squared 23, post #57 - You mentioned Winter Wildlife crabs from SLN. We have 4 of them at camp and they DO grow like crazy. They're our fastest growers & quickest producers.
I love the WW crabs. No hassle at all for us.

We have a bunch of SLN trees, most purchased when the MacKentley's owned it yet. If we still had more open room to plant additional trees, I'd buy from SLN again, but as someone else said - not for common trees like Liberty, Goldrush, Enterprise, etc. SLN's crabs have all been very good for us, and so have Prairie Spy, Wolf River, N.Y. 35"Bonkers", and Minnesota 1734.

I'd like to know why SLN's trees are so much smaller these days.

Do you have any fruit on 1734?
I have one coming on third leaf but the gophers set it back.

Ok so to offer up my experience about SLN this year. Packaged well, delivery was quick enough without being in UPS land over the weekend, they have a nice selection of harder to find varieties, I was sent with what I ordered, price nothing special but limited available options to find elsewhere and size was a bit on the small side.

I went with SLN because that darn Sandbur got me interesting in checking up on a few hard to finds and of course Winter Wildlife crab is always spoken of well. Maybe next year I have to hit up someone for some Buckman scions for all the extra work I did this spring to make sure my investment pays off. I normally just get some seedlings from local conservation group and tube em and half don't make it no big deal.

Sandbur is a real problem here, Asked him a simple question about crab apples 4 years ago and now I have 35 apple & pears planted with another 26 to plant this spring.

He is quite the enabler ... :emoji_relaxed:

Last edited:

Sandbur is a real problem here, Asked him a simple question about crab apples 4 years ago and now I have 35 apple & pears planted with another 26 to plant this spring.

You gotta quit dabbling around on the edges and get in deep. What are you doing with the rest of your spare time? Bench graft, top work, transplant crab seedlings?

Want more advice?

Just joking of course.

Do you have any fruit on 1734?
I have one coming on third leaf but the gophers set it back.

Bur - No. No fruit yet - possibly this year IF we don't get any late frosts freezes up at camp. Online descriptions say the flavor is rich & tangy, and good for cider or fresh eating. To heck with the deer at first - I want to try one!!

You gotta quit dabbling around on the edges and get in deep. What are you doing with the rest of your spare time? Bench graft, top work, transplant crab seedlings?

Want more advice?

Just joking of course.

I have this thing called a job that gets in the way too often. Soon as i get rid of that it will be full addiction :emoji_wink:

Last edited:

Want more advice?

Just joking of course.

I have this thing called a job that gets in the way too often. Son as i get rid of that it will be full addiction :emoji_wink:

I haven’t had a job for eleven months. Retired, but now it just takes longer to do anything.

738def7112b86bafbbfdbc2a2d78275b.jpg

Here was my typical SLN tree this year.