Norways vs red cedars any advantages

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
I see many of you guys planting the heck out of these Norway's.
?????
is their an advantage with these over the red cedars that grow in the Midwest so effortlessly?

I see many of you guys planting the heck out of these Norway's.
?????
is their an advantage with these over the red cedars that grow in the Midwest so effortlessly?
Are red cedars the super invasive one??

Cedar Apple Rust is a factor if you're doing apples for wildlife (or yourself).

Some cedars get browsed too. Not sure which ones though. It's gotta be a bad year before Norways get browsed.

Are red cedars the super invasive one??
I would say yes. If you don't cut a field for 10 years in will typically become a cedar thicket in that timeframe!

The last couple years I've planted both Norways and Red Cedars for screening and bedding pockets. The red cedar around here gets browsed on bad years and Norways on really bad years.

Norways will grow where red cedars won't, and vice versa. I wouldn't plant Norways much further south than northern/central IA

Agree
I don't think Norways would grow on my farm in IA...without major protection. Cedars are doing great on sand in Mn

Missouri??

I think the biggest issue is that red cedar causes cedar apple rust and Norway's don't. After that everything else is incidental.

When I got started with habitating last year, I ordered some red cedar but cancelled them from my order once I had read up on cedar apple rust. I like trying new things but no need to introduce new problems.

Does this cedar Apple rust kill or limit tree growth or fruit production?

Does this cedar Apple rust kill or limit tree growth or fruit production?
Crazy Ed has a gold rush tree ate up with CAR this year but says it is still loaded with fruit. So I don't know :confused:

It affects the leaves and fruit. Depends on the variety how severe it may be and the weather conditions. Some apple varieties are resistant or might just have a few spots on the leaves. More serious cases can lead to defoliation of the tree and damage the fruit. I've seen recommendations to cut down red cedars within a few hundred yards of the apple trees to minimize the amount. There are a variety of rusts as well. Cedar apple rust, cedar hawthorne rust, cedar quince rust, and a few others. Can affect apples, crabs, pears, hawthornes, serviceberry, cottoneaster, mountain ash. All from the rosaceae family.

Doesn't mean you can't grow apples but if you have lots of red cedar but reading up on CAR resistance before deciding what to plant would be a good idea.