Norway Spruce Screen Decisions

Bunch of my Norway spruce will have their first "leap" year if we get good rain this season. I finally have them all matted and mulched up. They are finally above the surrounding canopy and get good sun. I'm going to fertilize them this spring. If the rains come I expect them to do very well this year. Norways have been difficult to establish mainly cause of browsing on my land.

IMG_8221.JPGIMG_8228.JPG

They look healthy! Lets just hope for normal moisture this summer. Not a flood year, or a drought year.

Back at it last night...augered out 16 more holes (for most of them drilled 2 holes side by side then connected them with the pick/shovel) then built 14 small cages and 2 big ones...definitely feeling it this morning...that 3 point/tractor auger is a good idea..

hard to say, but same brand for sure.

The vendor i ordered from was Spreetail. My communication thus far with them:

Me: This order is said to have been picked up a month ago by the shipping company. Please advise if I should expect it soon or if I need to request a refund.

Spreetail: I'm sorry your tracking information has not updated yet! Since this item is being shipped via freight, it is currently in staging and being prepared for shipment. We'll send you an automated email with the shipping information as soon as your item(s) are picked up from the carrier.Spreetail is happy to help you with any other questions that you may have. Feel free to give us a call or email us any time.

Me: I don’t understand. The tracking says it was picked up by the carrier a month ago. What is it waiting for?

Spreetail: I was looking into your order and noticed that the tracking has not updated properly. It appears the label may not have printed properly in our facility, or there could have been an error in handling. I will go ahead and send a replacement item to you right away to ensure the item arrives as soon as possible! There is a chance the original label will update, as it may have left our warehouse without being scanned. If this happens, we will try to get this returned to our warehouse. If the original item does arrive to you, let me know and I will handle that for you! Spreetail is happy to help you with any other questions that you may have. Feel free to give us a call or email us any time.

Spreetail: Firstly, I want to apologize. It appears your package isn’t updating properly. I’ve went ahead and reprocessed the order for you and it will be shipping via CEVA VMxxxxx. I’m truly sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you! If you have any questions at all don’t hesitate to reach out. If you have any other questions, please email or call us. Thanks!

Bunch of my Norway spruce will have their first "leap" year if we get good rain this season. I finally have them all matted and mulched up. They are finally above the surrounding canopy and get good sun. I'm going to fertilize them this spring. If the rains come I expect them to do very well this year. Norways have been difficult to establish mainly cause of browsing on my land.

View attachment 41965View attachment 41966
Looking great! Do you have pictures of any older BHS that you've planted? Just wondering how long it will take to have a nice screen/bedding area.

I'm going to fertilize them this spring. If the rains come I expect them to do very well this year.
Your pics are about the same stage as our spruce when they took a nice jump in size. I tossed a couple handfuls of 10-10-10 around ours and it made a difference. Good luck with yours there. They look GOOD!

Looking great! Do you have pictures of any older BHS that you've planted? Just wondering how long it will take to have a nice screen/bedding area.

I would expect that if you plant 1 gallon pots this year that they would range in height from 8-14' tall ten years from now. A lot depends on how you care for them and it can be site dependent (some soils are just more fertile). If you take care of them and kill the competition around them when they are young you should be looking at 10 foot tall trees within 10 years. If they get great sun, adequate rainfall and maybe some fertilizer on top of that I would say you can get most over 12 foot tall in 10 years with the best trees pushing 14 feet. By years 10-20 they look great and will be providing good cover. If your lucky enough to still be around and own them 25+ years from now you will smile every single time you look at them and be glad you did it.

I would expect that if you plant 1 gallon pots this year that they would range in height from 8-14' tall ten years from now. A lot depends on how you care for them and it can be site dependent (some soils are just more fertile). If you take care of them and kill the competition around them when they are young you should be looking at 10 foot tall trees within 10 years. If they get great sun, adequate rainfall and maybe some fertilizer on top of that I would say you can get most over 12 foot tall in 10 years with the best trees pushing 14 feet. By years 10-20 they look great and will be providing good cover. If your lucky enough to still be around and own them 25+ years from now you will smile every single time you look at them and be glad you did it.
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards 15 foot spacing between the trees and 12 foot between the rows. Would you advise differently? I'd rather have larger trees in 20 years without having to thin them out in 10 years. I'm only 40, so hopefully I'm around at 65 to enjoy them at maturity.

I got to see my trees for this first time since Labor Day of last year on Sunday morning. My 2 gallon BHS from last year look good. I never caged them. No signs of browse, but we have low DPSM. Deer havent been on my land much this winter since snow has been very deep. They survived one hell of a drought last summer. I watered them 4-5 times. I think they all would have died without the weed mat.

View attachment 41963

Me: This order is said to have been picked up a month ago by the shipping company. Please advise if I should expect it soon or if I need to request a refund.

Spreetail: I'm sorry your tracking information has not updated yet! Since this item is being shipped via freight, it is currently in staging and being prepared for shipment. We'll send you an automated email with the shipping information as soon as your item(s) are picked up from the carrier.Spreetail is happy to help you with any other questions that you may have. Feel free to give us a call or email us any time.

Me: I don’t understand. The tracking says it was picked up by the carrier a month ago. What is it waiting for?

Spreetail: I was looking into your order and noticed that the tracking has not updated properly. It appears the label may not have printed properly in our facility, or there could have been an error in handling. I will go ahead and send a replacement item to you right away to ensure the item arrives as soon as possible! There is a chance the original label will update, as it may have left our warehouse without being scanned. If this happens, we will try to get this returned to our warehouse. If the original item does arrive to you, let me know and I will handle that for you! Spreetail is happy to help you with any other questions that you may have. Feel free to give us a call or email us any time.

Spreetail: Firstly, I want to apologize. It appears your package isn’t updating properly. I’ve went ahead and reprocessed the order for you and it will be shipping via CEVA VMxxxxx. I’m truly sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you! If you have any questions at all don’t hesitate to reach out. If you have any other questions, please email or call us. Thanks!
Yes, same company. Amazon stepped in yesterday to assist. They(Spreetail) is suppose to be shipping me a replacement tomorrow. I'll drop the hammer with American Express next week if I don't see positive movement. My conversation with spreetail is almost spot on to yours.

Do you use that Shovel in similar fashion as a Dibble bar is used? What height Shovel of that style would you recommend for someone who is 6' tall.

My biggest complaint about planting trees is the inevitable lower back pain that comes on a few hours in.

Do you use that Shovel in similar fashion as a Dibble bar is used? What height Shovel of that style would you recommend for someone who is 6' tall.

My biggest complaint about planting trees is the inevitable lower back pain that comes on a few hours in.

This is the exact shovel I have....

Capture.PNG

I use it for planting small plugs, two gallon pots, bareroots, road ditch transplants, chopping tree roots, prying rocks, prying tree roots, etc..... The blade is sharper then most shovels and slices/chops through tree roots nicely for me. The handle and the shovel is all welded and indestructible through human use. Wish I would have had it a few years sooner. Its heavy, but the extra weight is worth the abuse that I put it through. I am 6 feet tall as well and think this shovel is the perfect tool for all the different trees I have planted. I would suggest a nice pair of leather knee pads when planting. I spend lots of time kneeling when I'm planting and my knee pads have also been a game changer. Here is the exact ones I wear.... Never get wet knees or stabbed by something sharp on the ground anymore....

Captured.PNG

This is the exact shovel I have....

View attachment 41996

I use it for planting small plugs, two gallon pots, bareroots, road ditch transplants, chopping tree roots, prying rocks, prying tree roots, etc..... The blade is sharper then most shovels and slices/chops through tree roots nicely for me. The handle and the shovel is all welded and indestructible through human use. Wish I would have had it a few years sooner. Its heavy, but the extra weight is worth the abuse that I put it through. I am 6 feet tall as well and think this shovel is the perfect tool for all the different trees I have planted. I would suggest a nice pair of leather knee pads when planting. I spend lots of time kneeling when I'm planting and my knee pads have also been a game changer. Here is the exact ones I wear.... Never get wet knees or stabbed by something sharp on the ground anymore....

View attachment 41997
I need a set of those knee pads for spring planting. "Double thick felt is the ticket?" Nothing like kneeling on a stone that catches you just right. I'm sitting here swearing just thinking about it.

My landsscape fabric was re-sent from Spreetail and arrived within 2 days of filing the formal complaint on Amazon. Anyone have and good suggestions on cutting this fabric for my BHS and Norwegions that will be here in the next 3 weeks?

I use a rotary cutter.

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards 15 foot spacing between the trees and 12 foot between the rows. Would you advise differently? I'd rather have larger trees in 20 years without having to thin them out in 10 years. I'm only 40, so hopefully I'm around at 65 to enjoy them at maturity.

I am at 67 plus and am glad I planted spruce 30 years ago. They are now a bit over mature for good cover but are great for winter cover. I have planted a few every other year or so since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am at 67 plus and am glad I planted spruce 30 years ago. They are now a bit over mature for good cover but are great for winter cover. I have planted a few every other year or so since then.

Do you have any black hills spruce planted 30+ years ago, and do they look over mature??? The white spruce seems to get pretty ratty looking after 30-40 years of growth with lots of the lower limbs dying off.

That seems like tight spacing to me if your trying to make a road or driveway screen, but I'm not an expert. I would think 18-20 feet between trees and 15 feet between rows. Maybe eventually put in a third row..... I dont like the thought of lower branches choking each other off 15 years from now if things are planted too tightly.....

Do you have any black hills spruce planted 30+ years ago, and do they look over mature??? The white spruce seems to get pretty ratty looking after 30-40 years of growth with lots of the lower limbs dying off.

My BHS are about 20 years in the ground. They still look good and are exposed to the south. I think I planted them at 5 paces spacing and staggered the two rows.

When I bought my norways, the guy at the nursery told be 16-20 feet apart and 16' between rows.