Norway Spruce Screen Decisions

I think I am going to go with that 100 ft 2x4" roll and make as many cages as I can for the hawthorns and crabapples in my screen....will probably only screen those and maybe the white pines and not the 2 kinds spruces till later in the summer...there's plenty of food around me and i really am only worrying about rubbing for now...got my "markers" in last night for 3 out of the 4 rows...if anyone shines a spotlight in that field they will sure get a surprise!IMG_5787[1].JPG

I think I am going to go with that 100 ft 2x4" roll and make as many cages as I can for the hawthorns and crabapples in my screen....will probably only screen those and maybe the white pines and not the 2 kinds spruces till later in the summer...there's plenty of food around me and i really am only worrying about rubbing for now...got my "markers" in last night for 3 out of the 4 rows...if anyone shines a spotlight in that field they will sure get a surprise!View attachment 41465

If I know exactly where I'm planting I like to have the cages all made before I ever get there with the trees. Id rather do it on a cool spring day (making cages) then when its hot and the mosquitoes are out. Deer love to chew on new trees. They dont even need a reason to chew on them.....

If I know exactly where I'm planting I like to have the cages all made before I ever get there with the trees. Id rather do it on a cool spring day (making cages) then when its hot and the mosquitoes are out. Deer love to chew on new trees. They dont even need a reason to chew on them.....
was hoping they would ignore the spruces anyway...they have an already green food plot 100 yards away but those new trees would probably be too tempting..might have to buy 2 rolls...

If I know exactly where I'm planting I like to have the cages all made before I ever get there with the trees.
Makes life easier on planting day!! I do the same thing. We'll be making cages in March for April / May planting.

I have 2 weeks to get my cages and weed mats ready. Plus frost seeding and some apple and crab pruning and liming. Then hoping to plant the trees the weekend of 3/12.

I've got 70 ea of 1 gallon potted BHS and NS ordered for this spring. I was initially thinking I'd plant them mixed with every other in a row but got to thinking if the NS grow a lot faster and start to shade out the BHS between them is it going to cause issues down the road?

Makes life easier on planting day!! I do the same thing. We'll be making cages in March for April / May planting.

If I could get to my woods I would be out there today. I think we have over 30" of snow on the ground so its impossible. I can make it about 50 feet walking through deep snow and then I'm done. I need about 3 days to prep (cages and chainsaw work) and then I should be ready for planting. Also Have a few big brush piles to burn while everything is still snow covered.

I've got 70 ea of 1 gallon potted BHS and NS ordered for this spring. I was initially thinking I'd plant them mixed with every other in a row but got to thinking if the NS grow a lot faster and start to shade out the BHS between them is it going to cause issues down the road?

Which way does the road run?? North/south or east/west? If it ran east/west I would put the BHS on the south side of the screen next to the road for sure. That's the only thing I would be certain of. If it ran north south and you intersperse them I doubt you would see any issue in the first 10-12 years. Eventually I would think the norways start shading them. Perhaps you wouldnt see any issues for 20+ years.... Could always plant all the norways on one end and the BHS on the other.

Which way does the road run?? North/south or east/west? If it ran east/west I would put the BHS on the south side of the screen next to the road for sure. That's the only thing I would be certain of. If it ran north south and you intersperse them I doubt you would see any issue in the first 10-12 years. Eventually I would think the norways start shading them. Perhaps you wouldnt see any issues for 20+ years.... Could always plant all the norways on one end and the BHS on the other.

I'm thinking I'll pivot to this route. Screen will be running in both directions - road on property boundary is E-W but there is a N-S road is just another 1/4 west across a flat hay field so i'm screening both directions.

Would this be too flimsy to use as fencing? I used concrete remesh last year and only needed 1 stake for it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...n-field-fence-330-ft-l-x-47-in-h?cm_vc=-10005
I think it would work, you would probably just need 2 stakes? I like how it gets smaller towards the bottom...might not have to use window screen then?

I have 2 weeks to get my cages and weed mats ready. Plus frost seeding and some apple and crab pruning and liming. Then hoping to plant the trees the weekend of 3/12.
frost seeding (at my place anyway), liming (ditto) and all the pruning on my new trees is done...attacked an overgrown apple tree the other night and figured out it is gonna take alot more work and a tall ladder....

frost seeding (at my place anyway), liming (ditto) and all the pruning on my new trees is done...attacked an overgrown apple tree the other night and figured out it is gonna take alot more work and a tall ladder....
I just did some frost seeding too. I really need to get cages ready. Only have 6 apple trees but I have 75 Norways coming.

I just did some frost seeding too. I really need to get cages ready. Only have 6 apple trees but I have 75 Norways coming.
I have 5 crabs/apples, then the screen which has 42 trees in it...i think for the smaller 1-2' hawthorns and midwest crabs (a kind of shrub?) I will only make 3' diameter cages out of the 2x4" fencing....just to try and save on material...can't imagine 75 norways...are you caging all of them? and do you have help?

I started hawthorns in 2 x 4 x 4 ft. tall welded wire in the past. It at least gives the seedlings protection so they get a good start and can establish their roots. In a couple years when they get taller, you can either switch to concrete mesh or add some additional 2 x 4 fence on the top of the first cage. Stake it well so deer don't push it over.

I have 5 crabs/apples, then the screen which has 42 trees in it...i think for the smaller 1-2' hawthorns and midwest crabs (a kind of shrub?) I will only make 3' diameter cages out of the 2x4" fencing....just to try and save on material...can't imagine 75 norways...are you caging all of them? and do you have help?
Nope no help other than almost 70 Dad with bad knees or my 7 year old son. It's probably bit ambitious. I'm going to try to screen as many as I can. I think if I get the screens and mats cut ahead of time that will be big. I typically don't have a lot of deer their in the summer so if I don't get everything screened right away it should be fine. The worst part is planting. Most places the soil is nothing but rocks that I have to pickaxe out and then carry a bucket of potting soil with me to fill the hole back in.

Nope no help other than almost 70 Dad with bad knees or my 7 year old son. It's probably bit ambitious. I'm going to try to screen as many as I can. I think if I get the screens and mats cut ahead of time that will be big. I typically don't have a lot of deer their in the summer so if I don't get everything screened right away it should be fine. The worst part is planting. Most places the soil is nothing but rocks that I have to pickaxe out and then carry a bucket of potting soil with me to fill the hole back in.
bummer on the help...i will have at least 1 younger guy and maybe a neighbor whose my age my dad (61, bad knee) and maybe a 70+ "Supervisor"...but my ace in the hole is i have the ability to borrow a 1 man auger and maybe a 3 point auger to at least get the holes started....my soil is the same rocky crap so I feel your pain there...when i planted the 10 apple/crabs in this past fall one of the harder parts was finding somewhere to stake down both the weed fabric and the cages that i could pound in more than 4 inches...