Northwoods Habitat

Packer
In my area those shrubs would not last a month and they would be browsed to the ground.

Packer
In my area those shrubs would not last a month and they would be browsed to the ground.

Yeah - I dont have that problem unless they suddenly become preferred browse for black bear.

Edibles shrubs.

Red Osier dogwood
Grey dogwood
Darn near any dogwood
Buttonbush
Ninebark
Elderberry
American plum
Winterberry.
Mulberry.
Choke cherry
Arrowwood
High bush cranberry
Dappled willow. (Not sure if this is a preferd shrub but all young willow gets hammered at my place) the dappled just stays a bush.

Lots I've missed but there's some diversity.

Steve got me my revised habitat plan last week. The plan calls for shrubs for browse and cover. Steve recommended dogwoods and ninebark. Anything else that I should be looking into?

Been awhile since I updated this for one specific reason but I heard Bill resolved that...

Got one of the watering holes in the plan put in on the front 40.

Water%20Hole.jpg

Based on access, there is be a stand directly back from where this picture was taken from and another high impact stand that will be put in towards this tall tree in the middle of this picture.
Water%20East.jpg

Last weekend I was able to cut in the food plot that goes with the watering hole.

Before.jpg

Weeds were pretty high but the old Murray didn't have any issues.
Tractor.jpg

This is the area after mowing. I'm standing next to the watering hole looking back to the north.
View%20from%20Waterhole.jpg

PB - What are all the caged trees ?? The spruce trees look good in the pix, too. Are the white-trunked trees in the back right of the last pic birches, aspens, or poplars ?? Looks like good diversity at your place.

PB - What are all the caged trees ?? The spruce trees look good in the pix, too. Are the white-trunked trees in the back right of the last pic birches, aspens, or poplars ?? Looks like good diversity at your place.

The cages trees you see in the pictures above are the crabapples that I picked up from the NWTF last spring. Yes to the birches, aspen/poplars. The 2 farthest to the right of the picture are birch trees. The stand of white-trucked trees are aspen. If I am remembering correctly, aspens are a type of poplar but not all poplars are aspen. If that is correct, aspen is the only type of poplar tree that I have on my property.

I would have to look it up in my MFL plan but I thought my forester had noted that I had something like 29 different species of trees but that would include 3 types of maples, four types of oaks and so on.

Packer Backer,

I have read this thread. It gives me better understanding now when we communicate. I applaud your approach and am impressed with your approach. You have an excellent plan and it is a marathon - not a sprint. I believe you understand that.

We will get you some BH chestnuts shipped soon to you. It is my belief that the regular Chinese Chestnut is tougher than the Dunstan. My beliefs don't matter - you are in the experiment on going. I will cross my fingers and hope you get 20 to 30 % survivability on chestnuts you plant in your borderline environment. :)

Cool thread PackerBacker,

It's always interesting to see what others are doing to improve their ground. I can relate to some of your projects and timing since our parcels are pretty close to each other. One of these years we might have to coordinate a land tour swap.

Packer Backer,

I have read this thread. It gives me better understanding now when we communicate. I applaud your approach and am impressed with your approach. You have an excellent plan and it is a marathon - not a sprint. I believe you understand that.

We will get you some BH chestnuts shipped soon to you. It is my belief that the regular Chinese Chestnut is tougher than the Dunstan. My beliefs don't matter - you are in the experiment on going. I will cross my fingers and hope you get 20 to 30 % survivability on chestnuts you plant in your borderline environment. :)

Look forward to giving them a try.

The dunstans that I planted 3 years ago are doing great and have had little die back each spring. Your Chinese looked great this spring and I hope they continue to improve (I will try to get you a few pictures next time I am up.)

I also planted these plugs earlier this year. American Chestnuts from the University of Idaho.

Idaho Am Chestnuts.jpg

Cool thread PackerBacker,

It's always interesting to see what others are doing to improve their ground. I can relate to some of your projects and timing since our parcels are pretty close to each other. One of these years we might have to coordinate a land tour swap.

Anytime Honker. Would be great to meet you and others on the forum.

Went up to spray on Saturday to get my 3rd plot in this weekend. Had a chance to take a quick look around.

Got the 1st apples on the trees that we put in 3 springs ago!

1st Apple.jpg

Dunstans that went in about the same time are coming along nicely.
Chestnut.jpg