Northern Whitetail Crabs

Checked in on my small orchard along south side of little woods this weekend. My apple and pear tree's in this spot get no special attention besides spring pruning and being screened and caged, it is out in the middle of a section four hundred yards from the road through crop fields. They are planted in a crazy thick CRP strip of clover/chicory/switchgrass and weeds.
One of the Drop Tine crabs from NWC has a little over thirty apples on it this year, they are around the size of a quarter. The tree is a little over seven feet tall and I have had it in the ground since fall of 2015. I am very pleased so far with the growth of all the trees I bought from them so far.

GpC6TQ2.jpg

6ORJSxo.jpg

Checked in on my small orchard along south side of little woods this weekend. My apple and pear tree's in this spot get no special attention besides spring pruning and being screened and caged, it is out in the middle of a section four hundred yards from the road through crop fields. They are planted in a crazy thick CRP strip of clover/chicory/switchgrass and weeds.
One of the Drop Tine crabs from NWC has a little over thirty apples on it this year, they are around the size of a quarter. The tree is a little over seven feet tall and I have had it in the ground since fall of 2015. I am very pleased so far with the growth of all the trees I bought from them so far.

GpC6TQ2.jpg

6ORJSxo.jpg

Thanks for the report. My trees have grown really well since set this spring. I see minor CAR on the Sheepnose, and the others are spotless.

I have a couple of the Sheepnose from them too along with the Gray Ghost in regular apple and all the crabs they sell...haven't noticed any CAR on any yet! I cut down all the red cedar in the area I could find last year to try and help against that some.

Were you satisfied with the trees from Northern Whitetail Crabs ? and did you have any issues with the shipping times . I'm in zone 7 and I think they ship in the spring...just wondering if that's too late to be shipping to the south ?

Very satisfied. I've had amazing vegetative growth and just beginning to see a little fruit from them. I would recommend leaving them a message at the appropriate place on their web-site and asking about shipping and availability.

30-06 crab around the size of a quarter
FaaezjQ.png

DropTine crab same, about size of a quarter maybe a little bigger...the racoons went after them hard in late august as soon as they turned sweet it was loaded this year.
kyhZz4G.png

And just because I like these trees...Golden Hornet crab two years in ground, they are a little bigger than a nickel.
f14Vozc.png

Cool , how long have your trees been in the ground ?.... I Contacted Northern Crabs a few weeks ago and got on the list for a couple 30 06's and Droptines . In the future I'd like a couple Golden Hornets also. Where did you get your Golden Hornets ? I don't recall seeing them at Northern Crabs, but I could be wrong

They have been in the ground around four or five years, those are close to fifteen feet tall now. The DropTines were the first to produce and all of them have been great growers with zero maintenance besides a little spring pruning. I also have some Ten Point and Crossbow crabs along with Sheepnose and Grayghost from NWC that haven’t fruited yet.
The GoldnenHornets that I have came from Cummins and are close to seven feet tall. Very good growers and want to fruit very young...I just like the way they look with their little orange crab apples.

Cool , how long have your trees been in the ground ?.... I Contacted Northern Crabs a few weeks ago and got on the list for a couple 30 06's and Droptines . In the future I'd like a couple Golden Hornets also. Where did you get your Golden Hornets ? I don't recall seeing them at Northern Crabs, but I could be wrong

They have been in the ground around four or five years, those are close to fifteen feet tall now. The DropTines were the first to produce and all of them have been great growers with zero maintenance besides a little spring pruning. I also have some Ten Point and Crossbow crabs along with Sheepnose and Grayghost from NWC that haven’t fruited yet.
The GoldnenHornets that I have came from Cummins and are close to seven feet tall. Very good growers and want to fruit very young...I just like the way they look with their little orange crab apples.
c5bd4f67fc2e6004d19ff4386bfa7b9f.jpg

they are dropping now and well into winter/ spring. Should be great for wildlife and mine survived -40 last winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://bluehillwildlifenursery.com/product-category/grafted-crabapple-trees-for-sale/

They have Golden Hornets at Bluehill. I really like mine, but they are a small tree and a tree like Sandburs is going to be demolished by our Bears. I have a few small trees that are giving me anxiety, the bears are giving me fits. I have been cutting the apples off mine, but mine have only been in the ground 3 years. Sorry, kind of off track, I really like Golden Hornet and I think you should try some. :emoji_grin:

My uncle said the Golden Hornet that I grafted like 3 years ago and we planted this spring had 4-6 apples on it already. Thing was only 4 ft. when we planted it!

My uncle said the Golden Hornet that I grafted like 3 years ago and we planted this spring had 4-6 apples on it already. Thing was only 4 ft. when we planted it!

My Golden Hornet bloomed the year I bench grafted it and every year since.

Does scion from certain locations on the tree cause early blooming?

Is golden hornet useful for anything other than wildlife? Does it make decent cider?

Is golden hornet useful for anything other than wildlife? Does it make decent cider?

I like the taste of mine, not that tart/sweet crisp as some of my other crabs. I haven't ever made cider (yet) but don't know why it couldn't be used.

Somewhere I was reading that Golden Hornet is a zone 5 maybe 4B. Is it more handy than that ?

Somewhere I was reading that Golden Hornet is a zone 5 maybe 4B. Is it more handy than that ?

I had -41 last winter and it has lots of fruit this year. It is on dolgo rootstock.

I had -30's on a tree I had grafted two years prior on B.118 and it pumped out 6-8 crabs this fall already. Seems hardy and like an early producer to me!

Question regarding these trees. First am just getting into adding fruit trees to my property. Just ordered 2 crossbow and 2 wickson from Whitetail for delivery in April 2020. As i dont have any fruit trees on the property will these 2 types of trees cross pollinate? Was planning on planting 1 of each in two locations over some small food plots.

thanks in advance. .

I don't know about those 2 crabs specifically, but crabs are very good pollinators. We have a spot at camp where there are 2 un-named, small-fruited crabs planted next to each other. They both bear fruit every year, so I'd say your chances are good.

Question regarding these trees. First am just getting into adding fruit trees to my property. Just ordered 2 crossbow and 2 wickson from Whitetail for delivery in April 2020. As i dont have any fruit trees on the property will these 2 types of trees cross pollinate? Was planning on planting 1 of each in two locations over some small food plots.

thanks in advance. .

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. In three years you will have at least ten trees in each location.

Lots of apple pushers here!

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. In three years you will have at least ten trees in each location.

:emoji_laughing: Too true!

Lots of apple pushers here!

Tell me about it ... I now have 40 planted in last 3 years with another 14 coming next spring :emoji_astonished::emoji_grin: