Northern MM Trees

trapperm

A good 3 year old buck
What kind of trees do you folks plant for habitat and for browse/food in northern climates?

Around Bemidji- USDA zone 3 according to most maps.

Oaks grow and apples too but I’m curious as to other trees you have had good success with.

Trap

Red Osier Dogwood is not a tree but is worth considering. If you have land up there, you probably have some of those in wetter areas. You could promote their growth or plant a few. Maybe even try some cuttings.

If you don’t have much conifer cover, spruce can be planted. White cedar would also provide winter feed. Young white cedar nearly always need to be fenced and protected for a number of years as do white pine in most areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plant in the adirondacks around 1700ft. I am 3b / 3a.

I plant red dogwood in the wetter areas as well as willow. Done sprice and pine for cover from my foodplots near the road. More concerned about the deer being vary than road hunters.

Asian plums are new to me up there, but they have survived a winter or two.

I have planted blue beech, witchhazel, silky dogwood too for snowshoe hare and ruffed grouse.

Things I do that are different than most folks who work on their land..... Propogate, prune, clearance,and ammend striped maple. I make brush piles so it's easier to hunt snowshoe hare.

Seeds not normally used by most I use. Dandelion, common plantain, and hairy vetch. Not only plenty of snow and cold, I have sandy soil.

Clernracing the trees you want, hinge cutting, and just making navigable trails through thick stuff has worked well up there too.

Beaver control can change a habitat sigficicantly. A spot where they been nibbling too much, take the beaver out and plant lots of that red dogwood. I didnt take the beavers out, but the logging company did because it was damaging their road passage for the logging 18 wheelers. Awesome little hunting spot. Just got too many up there.....

Fedco and saint lawrence nurseries are good resources for zone 3 folks. I just recieved a few crabapples from whitetail crabapples. He sold out of droptine, but asked to give me what you have and told him one of my spots is in zone 3. He's trying out his crabapples on antonovka bareroots. We wxzsxill see if he formally puts them on his site in a year or two.

Last edited: