Northeast MN Wolf Hunt Closed

West Branch

5 year old buck +
The NE MN wolf hunt closed yesterday at the end of shooting hours. The early season wolf hunt also ended early for the NE zone. There must still be a lot of wolves around. One of the guys hunting with us talked to the CO this year and the CO asked if my dad had told the guy to shoot any wolves he saw! LOL. First time we have seen a CO on our land during hunting season in the 15 years I have been hunting.

WTF is going on in the east central zone? No wolves yet. I guess they are filling the land owner tags before the main tags? ;)

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/wolf/index.html

Deer groups need to 'sponsor' a few cattle in NE MN so big ag can get the Govt to come in and start killing some wolves.

Read this in the MN regs. Can you poison coyotes?

Safari 131.png

They need to bring back, "Getters". Black market business opportunity for sure. A friend of mine used them in the late 70's out west while working on a ranch. Hunt 24/7 and almost 100% effective.

What are Getters?

So the NE late season only took a week to get closed. The NW late season is closing today in only 1.5 weeks. So much for a 2 month hunting season!

What are Getters?

They are more typically referred to now as M44s. They are a small, spring loaded device, that delivers a single dose of sodium cyanide. The top is baited and when a canine bites on the top and pulls upward the device is triggered firing the cyanide into the animals mouth. Heavily restricted use for obvious reasons, generally allowed to be used by USDA Wildlife Services personnel (I am a previous employee). The original devices fired a .38 caliber pistol cartridge instead of the cyanide.

While they are an extremely lethal tool, IMO snares and foot hold traps are more efficient when used by a skilled trapper.

You guys need to get a permanent wolf tag like I have. Season is always open. My brother was telling me how he tied a big treble hook to a piece of meat and then dangled it for a coyote a couple years ago. No takers. Would be kinda like tip up fishing. I heard wolves really like some trimmings soaked in flybait & coke. Yummy.

You guys need to get a permanent wolf tag like I have. Season is always open. My brother was telling me how he tied a big treble hook to a piece of meat and then dangled it for a coyote a couple years ago. No takers. Would be kinda like tip up fishing. I heard wolves really like some trimmings soaked in flybait & coke. Yummy.

Yup we issue land owner tags to anyone that wants one. No cost, and no physical license, if someone really wants something I can write something down on the napkin I used when eating chicken wings.

Yup we issue land owner tags to anyone that wants one. No cost, and no physical license, if someone really wants something I can write something down on the napkin I used when eating chicken wings.
When My uncle was alive up in zone 172, he was looking for a doe permit all fall and kept checking the mail box. Finally the mail carrier wrote one out for him.

I'll bet the same mail carrier could write out wolf permits, also!