No Till drill/planter cleaning and prep for winter storage.

WKyGasDoc

5 year old buck +
Well after today, I hope to be done with planter till Spring. What does everyone do to protect their investment? Do you wash it off? Storage tips? So far this is my routine

1. Gonna spray the outside off and eliminate most dirt/mud (I did not do that last year, but it was first time use) PLUS Wild Things pics of his looks spotless and I want the same. Just going to use regular hose and water

2. Store inside on rubber mat
3. Vacuum all seed boxes and run seed tubes dry from seed
4. Rubber plugs in small seed tubes (spider prevention)
5. Mouse poison around floor (per usual)
4. Check chain lubrication, bolt tightness
5. going to add spacers for lift bars (3P hitch model) to eliminate side to side movement of planter on lift bars for next year
6. Put planting notes in my binder for next year. ( cause I will forget everything by spring)

I cleaned it up well with an air hose, then vacuumed out my seed cups and placed a dryer sheet in each seed cup for mice protection. Mine stores on a rolling cart and my pole shed is mouse resistant.

I used my shop vac to clean out seed cups, which did not do last year. I also used a leaf blower to clean up dust on the machine. I did not wash/spray the coulters/disc openers, mainly because I was running late (always the case) little bit of mud on some parts. Hope to do better next year.

I also plan on changing battery for the acremeter, I may just leave without so will not corrode.

You can spray with Tempo. It’s an insecticide that will keep keep the spiders away. You can also spray you barn with it. Helps with all bugs including wasp.

I use something like it, it does help a bunch

I use my shop vac to remove seed. Then I use an air compressor to "dust" everything as best as possible. After that I'll power wash the exterior of the unit. Once dry, I'll lubricate the chains & grease the bearings. I sore mine in my unfinished machine shed. It's under a roof but the sides are open.

5. going to add spacers for lift bars (3P hitch model) to eliminate side to side movement of planter on lift bars for next year

That's a good idea, I need to do that also.

I must be very slow to catch on, but I can't see an easy way to replace the bolts for the chain covers once they are removed. I was going to oil the chains but can't see any way to re-tighten the bolts on the cover?
Couldn't find any pics or videos online, at least so far.
Thanks.

I must be very slow to catch on, but I can't see an easy way to replace the bolts for the chain covers once they are removed. I was going to oil the chains but can't see any way to re-tighten the bolts on the cover?
Couldn't find any pics or videos online, at least so far.
Thanks.
Yep, I agree its not an easy task. It would be nice to find a way to remove/replace the chain covers without so much hassle. Anybody?

I have never done that.. spray the chains where I have access only

I have never done that.. spray the chains where I have access only
Agree on the lube......but unfortunately those sprockets have been known to become loose due to lock screws working loose. I've been ignoring them for too long.