No-til beans or milo into frost seeded clover?

Bassattackr

5 year old buck +
A thread on another site got me thinking.. In order to beat the weeds from taking over soybeans, has anyone:

1) Tilled/disced in winter and frost seeded clover
2) mowed clover short (ish) before planting
3) No tilled beans into the clover plot?

Wondering if this would be a good option for weed control in soybeans?? Perhaps have a "built-in" green and grain plot come fall.

Also thinking how WGF Milo / sunflowers / cowpeas would do in this same scenario.. Maybe this option is better than soybeans as they'll shade out the clover quicker/eventually. Bonus you get the N use..

Potential issues:

- Not being able to disc in fertilizer for milo/sunflower area. Broadcast before rain should fix..
- Not being able to mow the clover after the beans are planted.

If an epic failure, I guess I could always disc it in the fall and establish the traditional clover/cereal/brassica plot.

On a no herbicide farm otherwise I would just disc/plant in June and torch with gly as weeds come up.

Legume on legume may not be the best choice. I have seen perennial clover used for weed control in corn. The clover was well established (more than a year old). They mowed he clover in the spring to about 6". They then rigged up a sprayer with nozzles right over the corn rows on he planter. So, the gly just suppressed a 4"-6" row where the corn was planted. The corn germinated and got above the clover strips before it rebounded from the root system. The previous years of clover provided N for the corn. The blanket of clover kept weeds from infiltrating the corn. It was a significant reduction in the amount of gly needed at planting time and there was no follow-up spraying. In fact the corn was not RR.

I never disk in fertilizer, in fact have not used commercial fertilizer for over 4 years now by minimizing tillage and reestablishing soil health and better nutrient cycling. I presume you are talking about annual cover if you are frost seeding. I'm not sure how well this would work with annual clover.

Thanks,

Jack

Most likely unless it stayed very cold after planting soybeans that early they would rot if the ground got very wet

I have often thought about making my own spray rig that would sit on the drill. Spray nozzles very close to the ground off the press wheel so it only sprays a few inches wide. Drill beans and spray the clover in one pass.

it’s just a thought rattling around. But some day if I get time......

I have often thought about making my own spray rig that would sit on the drill. Spray nozzles very close to the ground off the press wheel so it only sprays a few inches wide. Drill beans and spray the clover in one pass.

That's what I described. I saw a video of it years ago somewhere. I think i is a great approach, but I like the idea of using a non-legume in the clover.

I like that idea!