No more Golden Hornets for me

I have several apple trees and pear trees that produce and I am sure deer eat some but what I get the most pics of is coyotes,as far eating,the asian pear is my best.I have half a dozen varieties and none stay past november

I have several apple trees and pear trees that produce and I am sure deer eat some but what I get the most pics of is coyotes,as far eating,the asian pear is my best.I have half a dozen varieties and none stay past november
Hello, I'm interested to learn what varieties of Asian pears you have out and what rootstock you have under them. Thanks

I agree with you...the coyotes swarm my fruit trees when the fruit is dropping. Next year I plan to take advantage and shoot a few of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget to update your list Native. I for one, use it as a reference and I'm sure others do to. :emoji_grin:

Thanks for the sharing your experiences guys. I'll cross the Golden Hornet my wish list, make room for something that works better .
I wouldn’t cross it off your list. Mine (4th leaf) had a couple hundred apples this year and were still yellow as of Thanksgiving week. More importantly for a northern guy they have a really late, long bloom time. There will be years this may be the only apple on my place. I plan on grafting a few more. Probably will be top works, I don’t think you would want a large % of your trees to be GH but a couple and a few branches on other trees would be a great addition. It is also hardy for zone 3 which is not listed anywhere but mine has been through 3 winters and seen temps in the -30’s

Don't forget to update your list Native. I for one, use it as a reference and I'm sure others do to. :emoji_grin:

Thanks, and I will do that in the near future.

I wouldn’t cross it off your list. Mine (4th leaf) had a couple hundred apples this year and were still yellow as of Thanksgiving week. More importantly for a northern guy they have a really late, long bloom time. There will be years this may be the only apple on my place. I plan on grafting a few more. Probably will be top works, I don’t think you would want a large % of your trees to be GH but a couple and a few branches on other trees would be a great addition. It is also hardy for zone 3 which is not listed anywhere but mine has been through 3 winters and seen temps in the -30’s

Chummer are you getting much growth on your Golden Hornets? Natives pictured tree is much bigger than any of mine. Mine are the slowest growing trees I have tried so far, none of them are any bigger than when they went in the ground 3 years ago and aren't much more than a whip. Mine are on MM111 rootstock. I had a couple that I let fruit this year to see what they would do. The apples hang are dropping now.

Chummer are you getting much growth on your Golden Hornets? Natives pictured tree is much bigger than any of mine. Mine are the slowest growing trees I have tried so far, none of them are any bigger than when they went in the ground 3 years ago and aren't much more than a whip. Mine are on MM111 rootstock. I had a couple that I let fruit this year to see what they would do. The apples hang are dropping now.
Mine is still the same size as when I planted it. Each yr it produces more fruit, but never gets taller. I might pull fruit next yr and fertilize it in the spring. Or I might forget this thread and not do anything...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the sharing your experiences guys. I'll cross the Golden Hornet my wish list, make room for something that works better .

My tree fruited this summer after -41 last winter. It tried to bloom the first year I grafted and every year since.

Good growth and it is on dolgo.

I think you guys are missing something if you haven’t used dolgo rootstock.

It’s funny you mention that. Mine is probably 7’ tall but has one of the thickest trunks of any of my trees. It is on a weird rootstock. When I ordered it there were no other options. I will have to check what it is on. The first winter had a lot of -30’s and the tree had some damage. It rebounded strong, throwing branches all over so I let it do its thing. It is more like a bush at this point but with the small fruit I kinda of like that way so I am going to leave it alone.

My tree fruited this summer after -41 last winter. It tried to bloom the first year I grafted and every year since.

I have a few dolgo seedlings growing. Now that I have entered the grafting world should I just graft these now. What are the chances one turns into something better than I can graft.

My Golden Hornets on MM111 were the only ones I could find at the time and I hadn't yet learned how to graft. MM111 has been a good rootstock here for everything else. I will probably try to graft a couple this winter on Dolgo rootstock. They certainly produce and seem to actually drop here but that doesn't do me any good if they never grow above their tree cage.

Sandbur sent me some Dolgo seeds and I'm going to pot some and grow some in the ground and see what seedlings I get. If some grow like crazy, I'll plant them at camp, and others I'll graft to. I'm hoping to get some of those gems that Bur has that are bigger than a golf ball !!