No, It's not snowing......

You guys hit on a good point... I am not too upset about this cool/colder weather in April because it does hold back spring blossom season. For the most part, the next 10 days here are expected to be 30ish to 50ish which should keep the buds fairly tight for a while yet. I usually get trees blossoming around mid-May. Anything before that is at risk for a hard killing frost.

I’ve had some rough nights while the blooms are starting. There’s a few more 20 degree nights forecasted.

db93a0810abdc73a5050b3e4ae0ad9af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck and I hope they survive.

Nice! Can’t wait for the progress pics!
You are a good hop skip an a jump ahead of us! Only thing I have starting flowering is wickson an prairie fire crabs

A nursery sent me two Prarie Fire Crabs by mistake last year. Since I have read they make tiny crabs that aren’t great for deer I was going to topwork them later. What are your thoughts?

Speaking of snow.....

Attachments

• E9FFC7A1-C0B1-4D5B-8CE3-DCA9350A6C20.jpeg
    E9FFC7A1-C0B1-4D5B-8CE3-DCA9350A6C20.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 19
I think the only 7" snow we got this year was back on Halloween. Very easy winter here.

I've still got maple sapping weather and 12"plus of snow expected Monday at our cottage in upper Michigan. I ride snowmobile almost every Easter weekend.

A nursery sent me two Prarie Fire Crabs by mistake last year. Since I have read they make tiny crabs that aren’t great for deer I was going to topwork them later. What are your thoughts?
My thoughts may be biased. I have a long gravel driveway with plans to line with prairie fire and golden hornet crabs the entire length :)
Fruits not good for much (except for birds, turkeys & and my chickens) but my lance they are beautiful trees

Live view from my camera at my cabin. Supposed to get dumped on. D6A233A0-5B70-48B0-B91C-CE7CBE7921DD.png

The 88 degree day last week pushed most of my pears to bloom and now with mid twenties for 6 of 8 days starting last friday morning, I don't see much pear productions on those trees. Hope I am way wrong.

Can you spray em down with a sugar water mix or cover them? Or do you have too many? I think spring has commitment issues.

Can you spray em down with a sugar water mix or cover them? Or do you have too many? I think spring has commitment issues.
Roy, thanks for the suggestions. I will google that treatment and see if I can feasibly do it. There are 40 some blooming, In a few years I'll have another 30 or so to worry about. I love pears, for human and wildlife consumption.

To start out this fine temperature run we had hail yesterday morning for 10 min about pea and gravel size.. I'm sure this didn't help much either.

I guess it will be up to the apples to carry on the soft mast this fall.

Ya, we're not supposed to hit 50 degrees here in NE Ohio the rest of the week. Just when I thought we were out of it...

Roy, I was looking for the sugar water treatment on blooming trees but can't find anything except for what it says for trees that have already set fruit. Can you describe or have a link to explain? Thanks.

Roy, I was looking for the sugar water treatment on blooming trees but can't find anything except for what it says for trees that have already set fruit. Can you describe or have a link to explain? Thanks.

I don't have a link, but I know some of the locals here will make a sugar water/syrup mix where they boil water and suspend the sugar in it lowering the freeze point. Then spray their budded plants. But it may be something more designed for fruit. It's just something i've heard of. I'll try to find something.

It could be a BS thing that I've heard about or mis-understood the application on

I'd leave them be myself,
Beautiful tree, holds late. More or less a bird crab, but the bees love mine.

20190602_094300.jpg
20190602_094537.jpg

Sugar water huh... im kinda sick of boiling maple syrup. Maybe I can market raw sap (sugar water) as a fruit tree treatment. Starring at 800 gallons left to boil down

I'd leave them be myself,
Beautiful tree, holds late. More or less a bird crab, but the bees love mine.

View attachment 29068
View attachment 29069

They are beautiful for sure, and that looks exactly like what they sent me, except mine are still small. I might just transplant them to a different spot and keep them.

Last edited: