Nitrogen volatilization

momark

5 year old buck +
Does anyone use urease inhibitors(NBTP) on their urea fertilizer to reduce volatilization. Just wondering if it is available in small quantities anywhere. I think it's kind of pricey otherwise. I'm gonna try corn this year so will be using nitrogen. Would like to side dress with urea. Thanks for any input.

Better off split applying before a rain.

And honestly the evapo/volatility rates r overstated lab tests with reults that dont match up in the real world.

Leaching is the larger issue.
And splitting or delayed app can help solve this.

Edit: guess I should add, most co-ops/farmers that I worked with would add it due to the volume of acres they had to get through. Timly application was not always a reality when shear volume was the name of the game. Would spread when condtions allowed. Those products helped extend our app window.

Last edited:
Better off split applying before a rain.

And honestly the evapo/volatility rates r overstated lab tests with reults that dont match up in the real world.

Leaching is the larger issue.
And splitting or delayed app can help solve this.

Edit: guess I should add, most co-ops/farmers that I worked with would add it due to the volume of acres they had to get through. Timly application was not always a reality when shear volume was the name of the game. Would spread when condtions allowed. Those products helped extend our app window.
^^^^^^
Bingo!
Bingo!
Ding, ding, ding...

thank you!

Thanks for the input. So, what's the latest stage you would apply urea to corn? V8? And as long as leaves are dry, is over the top application ok?

I may misunderstand the purpose of your question. Why do you want to know "latest?" Nitrogen needs to go one at the beginning of the vegetative phase. This is about food plots, yes? I'd do it sooner rather than later. About 30-days after germination in round numbers.

I know I need some starter N but my question was in reference to side dressing. From what I've read if you apply at too late of a stage it can be counterproductive. The optimum timing being based on what V(leaf) stage the plant is in at the time of application. So, my question is, what is the optimum leaf stage to side dress with urea?

v4-6

Anything post is hard to apply without snapping them off without specialized equip... that is not taking into account if ur walking down rows with a bag spreader.

What kind of soils are you working on? Makes a difference in your methods. If you're on sand or other low cec soils side dressing even on the late end of things will pay dividends. How much ground are you talking? Generic agrotain can be had in small quantities. It's a good insurance policy if you can't be flexible in your timing a rain. Best is to time it in front of a gentle .75"

CEC is 8.9, fairly low I think. It's only about an acre max. Where can you buy the agrotain in small quantities? How small?

If you are doing tillage before you plant get half of your N as urea and the other half as ESN and put it all on up front and incorporate with tillage. Go to the coop on a rainy day and take the stuff in totes or 5 gallon pails if we are only talking about an acre. ESN is encapsulated slow release N that breaks down with heat, not water.

If you are doing tillage before you plant get half of your N as urea and the other half as ESN and put it all on up front and incorporate with tillage. Go to the coop on a rainy day and take the stuff in totes or 5 gallon pails if we are only talking about an acre. ESN is encapsulated slow release N that breaks down with heat, not water.
What if you are doing no-till, what mix do you use and how would you apply?

Thanks!

Split applying is usually always gonna be the best, but in small plots it might not be feasible, especially if you dont live where you hunt.

I hear of guys spreading 2/3 ESN and 1/3 urea with some AMS in the little no-till that is around here or doing stuff with 28% which is not gonna be an option for most plotters. If it was me I would spread 1/3 urea, 1/3 ESN and 1/3 AMS all up front in no till for a small one acre plot. If you start getting N deficient you could always come back and spread more urea before a rain with a solo spreader. Again that might be hard to time if you dont live there.

Last year I spread 95% of my N when my corn was 3-4" tall and my corn made about 209 bpa with a pretty good shot of hail that beat it up. There is many ways to do it. Whatever is best one year might not be the best next year. Price can vary greatly based on what option you chose. If urea is $350/ton then ESN is probably $550-600+. There is not 1 correct answer. Wish there was.

Is urea stable if kept in 5 gal. buckets WITH a lid?

Is urea stable if kept in 5 gal. buckets WITH a lid?
When you go to a co-op its just in a pile on the floor.

Well, that brings up more questions.