Nitrogen loss to air

I have read about the limit of plants to absorb nitrogen at one time. Why most recommend adding smaller amounts two to three times a year rather than all at one time.

Somewhat unrelated, but I'm curious. When perennial clover/alfalfa go dormant in winter time, do they release the nitrogen they've fixed at that time or do they need to be terminated to release the nitrogen?

Somewhat unrelated, but I'm curious. When perennial clover/alfalfa go dormant in winter time, do they release the nitrogen they've fixed at that time or do they need to be terminated to release the nitrogen?
Legumes produce N only for their on use. When plant or any part of it dies, the process of decomposition releases the N into the soil. Note: All plant parts are in a continuous state of regeneration replacing dead cells with new. So, in that sense, the legume might always be releasing some N into the soil. Termination is the big bang.

Legumes produce N only for their on use. When plant or any part of it dies, the process of decomposition releases the N into the soil. Note: All plant parts are in a continuous state of regeneration replacing dead cells with new. So, in that sense, the legume might always be releasing some N into the soil. Termination is the big bang.
Farmer,

What are your thoughts on light discing of clover fields in the fall? All the older literature encourage it, but seems to be less so in the no till age. If done at time of planting new clover and yearly cereal grains it seems it would release some of that nitrogen. I also guess it encourages hard clover seed from the year before to germinate.

Last edited: