New (to me) Lime spreader

B

BJE80

A little bit of show and tell here. :)

I gave up a Sunday and drove 600 miles round trip to get it but it is mine. I actually went there thinking I was getting a different one but came home with this one as he gave me the choice. Cost me $500 plus expenses to get it. The guy is retired and works at a coop as a food plot guru and helps out. He buys implements at auctions and fixes them up for fun. This one was a 12' and he cut in half and made into two units. He put a screen on the top of this one to keep rocks out and has a little bit more capacity than the other one. If I find it too hard to load with the screen I may take it off. It is ~5.5' box and just over 7' edge of wheel to edge of wheel.

It doesn't have a fresh coat of paint like the other one but the box is actually much sounder and is solid even in the corners. I thought he did a nice job re-building it. He put greese fittings at all axel turning points and on both sides of the auger.

It was a long trip yesterday but at least I have my hands on one and didn't break the bank doing so. I'm sure if I take care of it it will last a long time.

IMG_0543_zpsp7di4dbv.jpg

IMG_0540_zpsmzoe0arr.jpg

IMG_0535_zpshdaz1wrd.jpg

Guessing the screen will be nice as my bulk gets dumped at end of driveway and lots of rocks mixed with bottom of the pile.

Guessing the screen will be nice as my bulk gets dumped at end of driveway and lots of rocks mixed with bottom of the pile.

That is what I was thinking too. My bulk will also just get dumped like that. I suppose grinding up gravel in the auger isn't excatly good for it. I'm sure it will also be harder to load though.

A little elbow grease with a hand sander and a fresh coat of paint and it will look as good as the other one anyway, great find!

A little elbow grease with a hand sander and a fresh coat of paint and it will look as good as the other one anyway, great find!

I have to give credit to Batman for finding the orginal ad.

I've had stones in my beaters a few times. They do raise havoc with things.....and can be hard to remove when wedged in the hopper. Not sure how well that screen will work....but it is a good thing if it does the job. I'd feather your bucket to load the hopper slowly and give the lime a chance to fall thru that screen. Should work.

These days.....I'm pretty fussy where the truck dumps the lime.....as I do NOT want rocks mixed into the lime.

A coat of paint will prevent rust and keep it looking good for a long time to come.

Nice buy. Should work well for you when you get those new plots after your logging.

Nice find. You'll like it and it will out last you.

Glad I'm not the only one who's made a 600 mile trip for a spreader. :p

Also a victim of the Batman concierge service. :D

You guys should be buying Batman a cold one. Drop spreaders are getting harder and harder to find.

Glad I'm not the only one who's made a 600 mile trip for a spreader. :p

Also a victim of the Batman concierge service. :D

It actually worked out in the end. I bet that 8' one you got would of been getting a bit large for my trails. This one should work slick.

You guys should be buying Batman a cold one. Drop spreaders are getting harder and harder to find.

What are you talking about. You can get them right here. http://www.groundbusters.com/content/1000-lb-deluxe-lime-spreader

;)

This guy I got mine from still has the green one I went for if anyone is interested.

Yep but have you seen the price.

The price is why I added wink guy.

Batmans got a cold one on me the next time I see him. ;)

$500 will seem like a bargain.....if you ever spread a few tons of lime by hand. I've spread about 35 tons or so with my EZ Flow.....and two tons by hand. If I had to spread 35 tons by hand.....I'd sell my land or be dead. Likely the latter. Those drop spreaders are priceless!

Just to show what a good coat of paint looks like on one of those spreaders....here's my cut-down EZ Flow when I finished the work. Always fun to show-off my spreader. What a work-saver!
DSCN3726 (Small).JPG

You guys are making me jealous. If all goes as planned this weekend I'll be getting about 1000 lbs of ag lime loaded onto my trailer at the coop and then I'll be spreading it on my plot with the ole shovel and toss method.

The price is why I added wink guy.
I figured that. They are a sharp looking unit but boy the money they want for them.