New (to me) Lime spreader

Was the other one worth the 500?

You guys are making me jealous. If all goes as planned this weekend I'll be getting about 1000 lbs of ag lime loaded onto my trailer at the coop and then I'll be spreading it on my plot with the ole shovel and toss method.

I'll come spread it for $500 + gas money (or beer). ;)

Was the other one worth the 500?

Yes. No question. It is ready to spread. I had to stand there and think about it for 5 minutes because it was a close call.

I have the guys phone number if anyone is interested. But it is about an hour NW of Eau Clair.

So give me an idea how long it takes to lime a 1 acre plot with one of these? How fast do you drive?

Foggy, Did you leave the bottom metal slider that moves back and forth to control the amount material droped in, or take it out?

So give me an idea how long it takes to lime a 1 acre plot with one of these? How fast do you drive?

It would depend on how much lime you have to spread per acre.

It would depend on how much lime you have to spread per acre.

Just say like 2000-3000lbs/acre.

Foggy, Did you leave the bottom metal slider that moves back and forth to control the amount material droped in, or take it out?

Yes it has the slide-gate at the bottom. When I shortened the hoppers I also removed a section of slide-gate to fit the remaining holes. If you look at the bottom of an EZ Flow Spreader for a few minutes.....it becomes obvious where to section the speeder to make it narrower in width.

I spread 23 tons of ag lime in less than one day.....using my tractor to load the hopper and pulling the lime spreader with my 4 wheeler. I leave my gates wide open and travel at about 6 MPH or so. When I get to the right area I open the slide gate all the way.....and it may take 5 - 10 minutes for the spreader to run dry (?)......and then I head back for a refill.

I put down about 2.5 tons to the acre.....and got my PH up to about 7 on all my plots and trails. Stuff grows with the proper PH. ;)

Yes it has the slide-gate at the bottom. When I shortened the hoppers I also removed a section of slide-gate to fit the remaining holes. If you look at the bottom of an EZ Flow Spreader for a few minutes.....it becomes obvious where to section the speeder to make it narrower in width.

I spread 23 tons of ag lime in less than one day.....using my tractor to load the hopper and pulling the lime spreader with my 4 wheeler. I leave my gates wide open and travel at about 6 MPH or so. When I get to the right area I open the slide gate all the way.....and it may take 5 - 10 minutes for the spreader to run dry (?)......and then I head back for a refill.

I put down about 2.5 tons to the acre.....and got my PH up to about 7 on all my plots and trails. Stuff grows with the proper PH. ;)

Sweet. That is great.

So would it be a fair guess to say a 1 acre plot would be 3-4 loads at 10 min. So under an hour you would have a 1 acre plot limed I would think.

Yep.....I put down 23 tons in about 6 hours......and I figure my hopper holds about a thousand lbs. So thats 46 loads spread and loaded in that 6 hour time frame. I think I limed about 7 acres total. Hope that is helpful. (all math is kinda a guess here....as that was two years ago.) My spreader is six feet wide.....and I think the hopper holds about 150 lbs per foot of width.

Select a good area to dump that pile of lime off the truck. My ag-lime was hauled in an end-dump trailer. Takes some room to turn it around, and load from the pile, etc. I found two areas which were sandy and free of rocks. I had the driver dump about 2/3rds in one area and the remainder in the other area.....in order to save some travel time from the stock-pile.

Worked well for me. But it is kinda a hit and miss on unloading as the load tends to stick and then can flow all at once. I had a good driver that knew what he was doing.

Edit: My hopper holds about 1000 lbs. So that is like 46 loads in one day. (my bad)

Last edited:
Yep.....I put down 23 tons in about 6 hours......and I figure my hopper holds about a ton. So thats 23 loads spread and loaded in that 6 hour time frame. I think I limed about 7 acres total. Hope that is helpful. (all math is kinda a guess here....as that was two years ago.) My spreader is six feet wide.....and I think the hopper holds about 150-200 lbs per foot of width.

Not sure on the exact acreage yet but I'm guessing I'll have 3-4 acres of plots after my logging. If I put down lime at 3000lbs/acre the most I will be applying is 6 tons. Should be a real time saver and work slick.