New Frost Seeded Switchgrass Field

When it comes to long lived native grasses it isn't just plant and walk away. There will be mowing, spraying, and burning that needs to be done.

yeah I know, I guess my big concern right now is getting it established and it not getting out competed prior to it getting going. I’m all ears on what I should do.... Wait until everything gets a foot + tall then mow it to 8”?

When we converted our pasture into native species it was an up hill battle (it still is) I think for us it was just to much to bite off at one time. We were instructed to mow it 3-4 times the first year, 2 times the second year, and to burn it off the third year. That is exactly what we did. It turned out ok. We now burn it off in 3 sections so the entire place gets burned off once every 3 years. Looking back we should have done this project in smaller sections so we could have established a clean prairie 10 acres at a time instead of doing 40 all at once. Our problem is the wildflower and other broad leaf component of the mix making herbicide treatments difficult especially with the trout stream that flows through the property.

I actually have a fair amount of yellow nutsedge in my switchgrass plot. I'm not too worried about it. Mainly because the only class of herbicides that are effective on it are sulfonylureas, which may or may not be injurious to the switchgrass, but are very costly. My plan is just let the nutsedge go for now. It won't get very tall in a native setting, has poor shade tolerance, and is still preferred by turkeys (chufa). The point is, it's not going to take over your switch plot by itself, so I'd just let it go.

I actually have a fair amount of yellow nutsedge in my switchgrass plot. I'm not too worried about it. Mainly because the only class of herbicides that are effective on it are sulfonylureas, which may or may not be injurious to the switchgrass, but are very costly. My plan is just let the nutsedge go for now. It won't get very tall in a native setting, has poor shade tolerance, and is still preferred by turkeys (chufa). The point is, it's not going to take over your switch plot by itself, so I'd just let it go.
That gives me more hope! Was thinking all may have been lost. I’ll update with progress on this post as growth continues..

Had my local biologist out and he couldn’t find any germinated switchgrass. The recommendation was to mow to knock down the broad leafs and hopefully things turn around here within the month. Unfortunately yellow nutsedge is prominent all throughout.

Sorry to hear that Titan. I would imagine most if not all of the switch would have germinated by now if it hasn't already. You could certainly try and start over (even this year), but it will be an uphill battle with weeds. Like I said in an earlier post, I drilled in Switch on July 2nd last year in Northern Missouri and had a great stand by the end of August. If you can't get access to a drill, I would consider just waiting until fall and making sure the area is weed free prior to the winter.

Sorry to hear that Titan. I would imagine most if not all of the switch would have germinated by now if it hasn't already. You could certainly try and start over (even this year), but it will be an uphill battle with weeds. Like I said in an earlier post, I drilled in Switch on July 2nd last year in Northern Missouri and had a great stand by the end of August. If you can't get access to a drill, I would consider just waiting until fall and making sure the area is weed free prior to the winter.

Yeah I’m torn on what to do. I’m thinking mow through this summer. Then hit it with Oust/Gly before the switchgrass wakes up next spring. I’ve also gotten recommendations for Basagran for the nutsedge to spray that right now. But both chemicals are pretty expensive, so I don’t want to waste more $ if this is a complete loss...

3701A451-D0B1-46EF-90CD-F5184FDA1A7B.jpeg
Ya or Na?

The leaf hairs around the collar and base of the stem make me think it is switchgrass. A seedhead photo will be the better way of identifying this grass.

To cut down on weed competition here in the first year, how long can I continue to mow at about 4-5" height here for the first season? I know the 8" rule, etc, but since I don't have brush hog easily available, I can raise my mower deck and get that 4-5" as frequent and for ever how long I should do that for. With my documented weed issues, should I just do that for the remainder of the summer?

The trouble with mowing is if you clip young switch you can injure or kill it. But I would agree it’s better than nothing. Even my young switch seedlings are pushing 2’ tall already. July and August are prime time growing season for warm season grasses. There comes a point when you are better off doing nothing and treat the area for weeds in the fall or early spring. A plethora of options for weed control in switchgrass.

08B5139F-CE9F-48C1-AE59-4CB3543B6C5C.jpeg8C2F8971-EBD0-4C1D-9D5B-CF42B0CF683D.jpeg
Keep the faith and be as patient as one can. One day all the stars will align, you will time a spray or a burn just right and you will have a great stand of switch to show for all your labor.