New driveway - getting the weeds under control

John-W-WI

Administrator
A couple of summers ago I had a 1250 foot long driveway put in to a future building site.

Since then, burdock has come on strong and it needs to go.

The ground is EXTREMELY rocky, so mowing is pretty much out of the question. Some of the ditches are pretty steep as well, so mowing would be difficult at best.

I was thinking about hitting it with 2,4D this summer a couple of times, killing everything except the grasses.

Then at some time after, I could hit it with grass selective herbicide and plant clover. I would probably have to frost seed the clover into killed grass I guessing.

Thoughts? This seems like the best way to get the weeds under control without too much effort???

Thanks,

-John

Use it as a full season residual, not a contact herbicide. Should be on right away in the spring before any growth is visible. I sell it for guys around grain elevators and grain bin sites.

If I guy wants you can try ThunderMaster Herbicide for $20/gal. Use 1.5-2 qts per acre. It is Roundup mixed with pursuit. I sell that to guys spraying there fence lines under the hotwires. Burndown plus some residual activity.

Looks like Pramitol kills/prevents everything? I'd like to leave the grasses alone if possible to prevent erosion.

To be clear, the driveway is nice and clean, it's the ditches that have exploded with nasty stuff.

Any suggestions for a burdock killer?

-John

Pasture Guard Herbicide