Neighbor's dog constantly your property.

I think I’ve run this story before but, years ago there were 2 dogs chasing deer and everything else on my property. i don’t know what they did for sustenance for 3 days but they finally ended up at my garage. I trapped them in the garage with some food and water. They were tagged so I took them back to the owner 3 miles away. He told me he didn’t believe in keeping dogs from running LOL. A month later they’re back so I trapped them again and this time told him to come and get them. Third time I called the dog warden who took them back with a talking to. I thought it was done by that time but low and behold 3 months later they’re back so this time the warden took to the pound and they had to be bailed out. This happened 2 more times Taking to the pound. Then the next fall I’m in my tree stand and they run a buck right by me so I couldn’t get to catch them. After another month I finally caught them again with food and water in the garage. It was at that point I figured they were my dogs. If they were hanging out here all the time then the owner doesn’t want them. They liked to chare everything so I threw them in the back of the truck and took them hunting figuring I could train them. Somewhere between home and the game lands about 60 miles away they must have jumped out of the truck. I looked all over but never did find them.

The sense of arrogance and entitlement is really frustrating.

I know it's not the dog's fault, but you're gonna get the needle for shooting owners. I'd exhaust every option I have. But if an owner is not taking care of his animals, he should be at fault when the dog pays the consequences.

I'm not ever shooting anyone over a dog trespassing or the dog.

People trespassing on my property I will sure take an assault charge for though and sort it all out in court if it gets that far.

About five years ago the laws changed in Ohio and killing anyone’s pet is an automatic felony...lose all kind of rights catching a felony. Just read in our local paper about a guy in Columbus that shot a dog and is getting TWO years for it.

My good friend has 30 acres and he has a neighbors dog issue. Right or wrong, he showed the neighbor pics of the dog (several incidents) and then said, this is your warning! If they are there again, I will exercise the MN state law options. Seems to have solved the problem.

First dogs know nothing about property lines, it's not the dogs fault...it's a bad owner.

In Ohio shooting a dog is a felony with jail time.

I would bang on the neighbors door and not be nice about it, next I would call the dog warden, next I would call the sheriff.

Problem I have here is guys running coyotes or pretending to so they can run deer off others properties right before gun seasons start, or thinking it's coyotes who cares. My properties are heavily posted.
A month ago at my little woods I had a bunch of trucks parked all along the road on me, I pulled up and recognized a distant neighbor that had asked a few years ago about running coyotes on me and I told him no. He is a fifth generation mega farmer that pretty much does what he wants. That day I told him very politely that we were still deer hunting and I didn’t want anyone on our property, he told me their dogs don’t bother deer the deer just circle back. I said not on my small property they leave and are gone stay out of my woods and drove off.

There was plenty of snow on the ground, an hour later I came back by and could see where they pulled right in my drive to drop dogs and people tracks all over my place.

I called him up and he pretty much told me to pound sand and that I knew nothing about hunting…I couldn’t believe his arrogance. I video taped the area sent it to our warden then called the warden…it is being investigated right now.

Next time I will be the exact opposite of nice and go full on crazy landowner.

I am by no means defending this trespassers excuse to why he hunted your land, but I have hunted birds my entire life, I have also hunted coon. I can verify in my case deer dont run away to far from hunting dogs, at least if they dont chase the deer. I have gone bird hunting, then shot a deer bow hunting an hour later. I have coon hunted all night, then had the land owner send me pictures of all the deer in the same field we were in an hour earlier. But, that isnt all deer, and I am sure these deer are slightly spooked, and on alert, and can make them harder to hunt. Not to mention the fact, if the land owner tells, or asks you not to be there, you shouldnt be there. It is a lack of respect.

But again, none of this is the dogs fault.

I have had coon dogs cross property lines that I havent had permission to hunt, and it isnt very uncommon for this to happen, and for that reason, I wouldnt coon hunt a week before season, until after season ended. If my dogs treed a coon where we didnt have permission, we would never shoot the coon from the tree, and we would leash the dogs up and leave that area and drive to a further away place. I know some laws state you are not suppose to take your weapon on to the land, but after accidentally leaving my unloaded gun more then once in the woods from following this, I just make sure that the gun is unloaded. It hasnt been a problem for me. Most of the lands I coon hunt on, I have made attempts to ask permission from neighbors, or at minimum, I would stop and let them know that we would be hunting coon in the area, and if our dogs ended up on their land, we wouldnt hunt, and we would just retrieve the dogs, and leave the property quick as we can. The vast majority of people tell us either to feel free and hunt their land, or they will tell us that they dont want us to hunt their land, but if the dogs is treeing, to go ahead and take the coon, but dont purposely release the dogs on their land. Only a few times in 30 years have I had land owners have any major issues. We have at times stopped hunting areas because we didnt have permission from neighbors, and we were concerned they may shoot the dogs. The thing about coon hunting is, we usually hunted late night, and the dogs are not quiet, so you dont sneak on properties, and you never know where a coon will run, and the dog is trained to follow the coon. We have had a coon swim across a biggish river, and run another mile, and it ran to someones house, and climber on top of their house, and obviously the dogs followed. We were very grateful, and very apologetic for 4 dogs barking at the side of his house for more then an hour, until we were able to get back to our vehicles, and drive around and find where they were at, and it was 2 am. It was to us at the time, an older (50-60) gentleman, and he was kind enough to walk out, tie up the dogs, and turn on his house lights, when we finally found where the dogs were, the guy was so understanding, the next day we bought him a large fruit and meat basket and droppped it off to him. He offered for us to hunt his land, but we never did go back to hunt that area.

Anyhow, I could give so many stories, but the point is, deer dont care much about dogs, as long as they arent chased by them.

Nothing good will come from you shooting someone else’s dog to prove a point. You’ll feel like crap for doing it and who knows how the neighbor will respond. Let the authorities deal with it and be persistent to make sure they handle it.

I'm not ever shooting anyone over a dog trespassing or the dog.

People trespassing on my property I will sure take an assault charge for though and sort it all out in court if it gets that far.

About five years ago the laws changed in Ohio and killing anyone’s pet is an automatic felony...lose all kind of rights catching a felony. Just read in our local paper about a guy in Columbus that shot a dog and is getting TWO years for it.
that's wild! 2 years???

i'm not shooting someone else's dog either. But I'm saying, if i didn't keep my dog where it needs to be, and the neighbor did shoot it, I wouldn't blame the other guy...

I have been a dog owner and dog lover all my life. I bought the E-fence for my last dog and although they do work well, the batteries have to be changed monthly to avoid them dying and the dog running amuck. I have never had the problem you have though, well I do have a neighbor cat that roams my land but it certainly doesn't chase deer. I let my dog out and it runs around my house, it always stays in sight of the house and comes running to the front door anytime I call him. If he didn't come to calling him or if he strayed further than that I would start using the E-fence again. I know all this because I use an Apple Air Tag that is attached to his collar and monitor him every time he goes out. It is basically a GPS satellite tracking device roughly the size of a quarter and maybe twice as thick that can be used to track anything you attach it to.

I think it is generous of you to offer to pay for the E-fence and is more than doing your part, but it still relies on the owner to replace the batteries which doesn't sound like it will work in the end given the owners show of irresponsibility with his dog. I think telling the owner that you will be sporadically trapping coyotes might help but that will only work if the owner actually cares about his dog and it doesn't sound like that is the case unfortunately. That only leaves the burden of proof on you to keep gathering evidence of this happening and you being enough of a PITA to dog wardens or the local police to get them to do something about it.

Sadly it isn't the dog's fault, it is just doing what dogs do when untrained and allowed to roam freely without a responsible owner. My dog is a family member and I love him just like any other, I wouldn't allow any of that to go on for the safety of my dog, let alone if it was creating problems for my neighbor.

Tough situation to be in there but I hope you get some resolution for the dog's sake and your sanity bud.

My neighbors across the street are Amish. They never had a dog then one day a dog is there. It looks like a younger dog from what I can tell but full grown. I don’t know how they do it because I know they don’t have an E fence but that dog never leaves the yard. Ever. Whether they’re there or not that dog wanders around but never leaves their yard. When they leave either in buggy or a car he will run to the end of the driveway and then turn around and just stay in the yard all day.

I never thought about that , I suppose an Amish dog can’t have a shock collar !

Some years ago I had a coon hound chasing deer on my property. Really screwed up hunting repeatedly and regularly. Super friendly dog had a collar with phone number on it. Called owner they said well let her go. She was several miles from his house. It was clear he wasn’t going to do crap. I let her go. No way I could bring myself to disappear that dog, she was sweet. Would not be the case with any dog who showed aggression. Anyway somehow that dog ended up at a no kill shelter an hour and a half away and was adopted immediately (according to the shelters website) and became a little girls best friend.

I would actually look into learning how to set a foot hold trap for coyotes. Let the owner know that you have multiple traps and you'll probably end up catching coyotes and maybe eventually his dog. If you have the option to put a cell camera close to your trap you could get by with not driving out to check it everyday. If you catch his dog, throw a leash on him and take him to the nearest pound. Someone less trashy will adopt it and actually care what happens to him.
Great idea with the cell enabled camera not just for this issue. I wouldn’t want to do it for multiple sets but a single set for nuisance animal control that’s the bomb diggity. old man had me talked into helping him trap woodchucks digging under his barn several years ago that would of saved me several trips to check the set.

We had same problem… in NY the DEC will get involved if you can show the dogs are chasing deer…. Many property owners in our area could show proof of that. The DEC issued citations and after repeated violations a judge ordered the dogs removed. None of us wanted that but… we had an entire week of video and pics morning noon and night in November and that was the final straw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our neighbors across the road let their dogs loose all the time. I have chased them back home multiple times, with no change in the owners desire to keep them on their property. So last summer when they showed up I loaded them in the truck and dropped them off at a no-kill shelter 2 hours away. They now have new homes.

The neighbor came by a couple days later asking if I'd seen them. Told them I had, but wasn't running them home anymore since that was getting me nowhere. Now their new dog has been by once......

I had to explain to my wife that most of these mutts are not someone’s pride and joy family member. They are porch dogs that probably don’t even have names. They are no better than a feral cat. The law needs more discretion in handling these situations.

My neighbors across the street are Amish. They never had a dog then one day a dog is there. It looks like a younger dog from what I can tell but full grown. I don’t know how they do it because I know they don’t have an E fence but that dog never leaves the yard. Ever. Whether they’re there or not that dog wanders around but never leaves their yard. When they leave either in buggy or a car he will run to the end of the driveway and then turn around and just stay in the yard all day.
Someone training their dog to behave? Wow! I have always had 1 or 2 hunting dogs at a time. Probably always will. Can't imagine letting them run wild like some do. They are let out and can go to the neighbors (both like dogs and have dogs), but don't stray too far from there. Why they have been trained. Simple concepts, just takes a little time. If dogs are running miles from home that is not a pet.

Ive had trouble with dogs running deer... but after reading this thread, I can honestly say I LIKE the laws in Minnesota. When It comes to dog at large, its a $150 fine, its a Misdemeanor and MANDATORY Court!! I had a talking to with a neighbor and told him that was his one chance. After the second time I called the sheriff! I havent seen those dogs since! ( This neighbor was almost 2 miles away!)

In another instance with a close neighbor, I politely told him, I have just set 50 snares on my property for coyotes. Im not trying to catch your dog, but if it happens, youve been told. That was the end of that too. He knew if that dog ran it wasnt coming back!

Ive had a couple other run-ins with more wild dogs that werent local. I never caught up with them but if I did, it wouldve been BANG BANG and done. If they are dirty, burr filled dogs that are miles from home, they are no better than a coyote and will be treated as one.

I love good dogs. Sometimes its the owner that needs to be trained.

Figured I'd vent a little and get other's experience and input.

I don't live on my land, it's just a square 40 that is surrounded by other parcels that are lived on. My neighbor to the south's house is about dead center on the south property line 80 or so yards across the street. He has a young shorthair pointer that is constantly running around the first 80 or so yards inside my south border. Today i got pictures and videos of the dog seemingly chasing deer all the way on the north side of my property.

I've had multiple conversations with him about it. I've tried to be reasonable and understanding. I get the impression that he thinks it's no big deal. I'm going to chat with him and reiterate how much it bothers me and even offer to pay for an invisible fence even though it's ridiculous that I'd have to. Beyond that i dont know what to do..

Curious if anyone has any other tips on how they have solved similar problems?

We have had problems with dogs running deer on our property. I simply do what your are supposed to do with a stray dog running loose; take them to the shelter. The dog is well cared for. If it has information on the collar, the shelter will contact the owner. If not, the owner has to call the local shelters and describe the dog. Then, the owner has to drive to the shelter, probably taking off work. The shelter usually charges them some kind of small care fee. Bottom line is that the dog is well cared for (it's not the dogs fault) and it is a pain in the butt for the owner. The next time I find the dog on my place, I repeat the process. Of course this time, I take them to a shelter that is further away making it more inconvenient.

Posters talking about animal shelters and animal control centers are clearly in or near urban areas. Rural America has no such entities. There may be a local small animal veterinarian who will take found, clearly non-feral canines and/or felines, but that is purely thanks to their love for animals. Get into rural areas where you need to travel a full day or more to access a vet and you learn that animal shelters/control centers are a non-issue.

I don’t know about a days drive, but most around me are full, and won’t accept new drop offs.

One could bring the “stray” animal in, get it it’s shots and sell it to someone wanting a pet. Preferably not a neighbor.

I had a similar situation. This dog has a wonderful disposition, but he is just doing what a dog does by chasing anything he sees, deer included.

His owner’s disposition was the exact opposite - ignorant, selfish, and un-concerned about his dog’s impact on his neighbors. For me, punishing the dog made no senses, but I did make a pain of myself by calling him every time the dog strayed and asked him to come get him. He really only made a half-hearted attempt to get him, but I knew I was making his life miserable when he stopped answering my calls. Had I read this tread earlier, I would have called the game and/or animal control people as well and made my problem, his problem. He moved, which solved a problem I never really could. Good luck…spare the dog, punish the owner.