Neighbor's dog constantly your property.

Wind Gypsy

5 year old buck +
Figured I'd vent a little and get other's experience and input.

I don't live on my land, it's just a square 40 that is surrounded by other parcels that are lived on. My neighbor to the south's house is about dead center on the south property line 80 or so yards across the street. He has a young shorthair pointer that is constantly running around the first 80 or so yards inside my south border. Today i got pictures and videos of the dog seemingly chasing deer all the way on the north side of my property.

I've had multiple conversations with him about it. I've tried to be reasonable and understanding. I get the impression that he thinks it's no big deal. I'm going to chat with him and reiterate how much it bothers me and even offer to pay for an invisible fence even though it's ridiculous that I'd have to. Beyond that i dont know what to do..

Curious if anyone has any other tips on how they have solved similar problems?

S.S.S.

We have neighbors that are about 3/4 mile away that don't chain their dogs up and they aren't spayed or neutered, so they are on like 3 rd generation of puppies right now. Every single one of our neighbors has photos of these dogs running deer on their property, some of which are 1.5 miles away. Every neighbor wants to do something but our hands are legally tied. In Missouri, even if a dog isn't tagged and collared, you can't do anything about them chasing deer.

As a counter point, I have photos and videos of deer re-entering a food plot after these dogs or coyotes have chased them for a bit. I think eventually the deer get used to them as adults. I can't say for sure and probably it's safe to assume the worst when it comes to fawns, though.

I’d add that you’re going to start setting traps and snares for vermin and really don’t want his dog getting hurt.

That had crossed my mind. You legally have to check traps frequently though. He's a retired guy and knows when i'm there and not so that would be a pretty good giveaway.

I just remembered how the guy i bought the property from this summer said he had a dog issue but he took care of it. Being as this pup is a little under a year old, wouldn't surprise me if he shot this guy's previous dog.

I value mine and my families limited time hunting my property more than I value some dog the owner doesn’t care enough about to keep on its property. I’m not gonna be at the mercy of someone else’s bad decisions.

When I win the lottery, after I buy a farm the size of a county I’m putting a low fence around the whole thing for this very reason…among others.

#1. Don't put anything resembling probably cause on the interwebz forums
#2. Probably follow Hoyt's advice
#3. If the owner doesn't care enough about the dogs to keep them at their place, why would you?

Admittedly, I'm a dog tolerater, not a dog lover. And it's not fair for the dog to have to pay for the owner's stupidity. But guess what, dogs aren't humans, and humans have to pay for the stupidity of other humans all the time.

I wouldn't make much of it and either get authorities involved, which will make for bad neighbors, or take care of it yourself, which will make for suspect neighbors.

The result of dogs chasing deer.

Attachments

• image000000(2).jpg
    image000000(2).jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image000001(1).jpg
    image000001(1).jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 78
He must of been completely played out from rutting to have fallen victim sad photos.

He must of been completely played out from rutting to have fallen victim sad photos.
That and we had pretty schitty conditions here over the last month. Too much stress.

I wish people took care of their business more, that's the bottom line. And ya, that buck probably was stressed. But being chased by dogs probably didn't lower it.

Figured I'd vent a little and get other's experience and input.

I don't live on my land, it's just a square 40 that is surrounded by other parcels that are lived on. My neighbor to the south's house is about dead center on the south property line 80 or so yards across the street. He has a young shorthair pointer that is constantly running around the first 80 or so yards inside my south border. Today i got pictures and videos of the dog seemingly chasing deer all the way on the north side of my property.

I've had multiple conversations with him about it. I've tried to be reasonable and understanding. I get the impression that he thinks it's no big deal. I'm going to chat with him and reiterate how much it bothers me and even offer to pay for an invisible fence even though it's ridiculous that I'd have to. Beyond that i dont know what to do..

Curious if anyone has any other tips on how they have solved similar problems?

Call your DNR, they frown on people allowing their dogs running deer. They will first talk to the owner, then if that does not work they will shoot the dog if they observe it chasing deer. At least thats how it works in Wisconsin.

I had a problem with a neighbor who allowed his dog to run my property. The game warden got tired of me calling her and her having to talk to the neighbor. After showing her 3 deer the dog had run down and killed, she said ..."you know, landowners have to manage the predators on their land and controlling coyotes is an important land mgmt tool. Sometimes unfortunately wild dogs get mistaken for for them. Good luck shooting coyotes."

Problem solved.

In Minnesota you can legally shoot a dog if it’s chasing big game, but only between January 1 and July 14, and only if the discharge of firearms is allowed.

I'm a dog guy. I have bird dogs and keep them contained unless we are pursuing birds/training/exercising. The first talk I have with any new neighbor is, "if you have a problem with my dogs please come to me first I will take care of it."
I would talk to this guy one more time and if the issue persists I would call the DNR or county sheriff.
There are no bad dogs just bad owners.

I too am a dog guy. I think shooting the dog should be last resort. My dogs are family, and I know if someone shot my dog, well it wouldnt go well. But with that, my dogs are my family, and I care for them as family. I dont let my dogs run free. They are not outside unless I am outside with them. I have owned this land since 2002, and I have had both my dogs since then, and they have came here with me every time I have been here. I cant even think of a single time my dogs have gone onto the neighbors land. But my dogs are labs, they are bird dogs, and they like their people. They are well trained, listen to me, and for the most part arent more then 50 yards away from me, and if give a command, they come right back to me. I also live in wolf country, so stray running dogs tend to to not be stray running dogs for long, they end up as snacks. If for some reason they ever did wander onto the neighbors property, I would for sure like them to tell me, and I would try my best to correct the situation.

Myself being a land owner, and hunter also understand you dont want stray dogs wandering your land. The first thing I would do is tell the dog owner that if he has a free running dog, he should keep it chained up, because you are hiring a trapper to get rid of your coyote problem, and he will be there trapping on and off for the next couple years. Next I would notify the warden, and let them know that there is a stray dog running your land, and you think it may be your neighbor, because he has had the problem in the past. If the land owner doesnt care enough about his pet to correct the situation, then he isnt very attached to his dog, and dont care what happens to it.

First dogs know nothing about property lines, it's not the dogs fault...it's a bad owner.

In Ohio shooting a dog is a felony with jail time.

I would bang on the neighbors door and not be nice about it, next I would call the dog warden, next I would call the sheriff.

Problem I have here is guys running coyotes or pretending to so they can run deer off others properties right before gun seasons start, or thinking it's coyotes who cares. My properties are heavily posted.
A month ago at my little woods I had a bunch of trucks parked all along the road on me, I pulled up and recognized a distant neighbor that had asked a few years ago about running coyotes on me and I told him no. He is a fifth generation mega farmer that pretty much does what he wants. That day I told him very politely that we were still deer hunting and I didn’t want anyone on our property, he told me their dogs don’t bother deer the deer just circle back. I said not on my small property they leave and are gone stay out of my woods and drove off.

There was plenty of snow on the ground, an hour later I came back by and could see where they pulled right in my drive to drop dogs and people tracks all over my place.

I called him up and he pretty much told me to pound sand and that I knew nothing about hunting…I couldn’t believe his arrogance. I video taped the area sent it to our warden then called the warden…it is being investigated right now.

Next time I will be the exact opposite of nice and go full on crazy landowner.

And there's the root of the issue. Ruffdude & 4 wandering eyes CARE about their animals. They are responsible pet owners. The people that allow their dogs to roam either don't really care or and / or they feel entitled. When I had dogs, I didn't want them to roam and did everything I could to control them. Once in a while they took off & I was embarrassed . Repeated problems should be dealt with.

I would actually look into learning how to set a foot hold trap for coyotes. Let the owner know that you have multiple traps and you'll probably end up catching coyotes and maybe eventually his dog. If you have the option to put a cell camera close to your trap you could get by with not driving out to check it everyday. If you catch his dog, throw a leash on him and take him to the nearest pound. Someone less trashy will adopt it and actually care what happens to him.

First dogs know nothing about property lines, it's not the dogs fault...it's a bad owner.

In Ohio shooting a dog is a felony with jail time.

I would bang on the neighbors door and not be nice about it, next I would call the dog warden, next I would call the sheriff.

Problem I have here is guys running coyotes or pretending to so they can run deer off others properties right before gun seasons start, or thinking it's coyotes who cares. My properties are heavily posted.
A month ago at my little woods I had a bunch of trucks parked all along the road on me, I pulled up and recognized a distant neighbor that had asked a few years ago about running coyotes on me and I told him no. He is a fifth generation mega farmer that pretty much does what he wants. That day I told him very politely that we were still deer hunting and I didn’t want anyone on our property, he told me their dogs don’t bother deer the deer just circle back. I said not on my small property they leave and are gone stay out of my woods and drove off.

There was plenty of snow on the ground, an hour later I came back by and could see where they pulled right in my drive to drop dogs and people tracks all over my place.

I called him up and he pretty much told me to pound sand and that I knew nothing about hunting…I couldn’t believe his arrogance. I video taped the area sent it to our warden then called the warden…it is being investigated right now.

Next time I will be the exact opposite of nice and go full on crazy landowner.
The sense of arrogance and entitlement is really frustrating.

I know it's not the dog's fault, but you're gonna get the needle for shooting owners. I'd exhaust every option I have. But if an owner is not taking care of his animals, he should be at fault when the dog pays the consequences.

have you talk to your states animal control dept.
as most states have laws on dogs being allowed to run wild, that would give you some legal options and having others involved in resolving your issue.

and as stated most states also have laws allowing one to shoot a dog chasing big game in big game hunting seasons, but that would be rather extreme, as stated,. its the owners fault NOT the dogs!

another option or thought here, might be, if the dog is friendly enough to come to you when ON your property
catch it, and take it to the local dog pound/shelter, and inform them of the issue, and repeat doing so as your there
both the pound/shelter and the owner will get tired of the dog being in and out of the shelter and they can some times force the issue more thru legal matters
you can even try talking to the local shelter about what you can maybe do too,a s I am sure most shelters have plenty experience dealing with things like this and don't really want more dogs to have to take care of!
this will also, maybe help with making the owner more responsible, most shelters will also, do all vaccines and booster shots when they get a dog if they don't have ID's on them showing they have all
and the costs will be put on the owner when he comes to get his dog(if he does)
and if there are laws about a dog must be on a leash or likes, or needs a LIC and or proof of shots, they can also help get him charged with violations on them things too

I would NOT offer to pay for e fencing
many dogs will run thru it and you could just be out money on top of it all

Lots of people looking for places to trap. You don't have to be there, just let someone else trap your place and they will check the line per regulations. You can talk with them on particular area's you want trapped. Instruct them to notify you if they catch a dog. Take it to the farthest dog pound you are willing to drive to. This is if you aren't wanting to SSS.