Need help on what type and brand of mower for my farm?

yukonhunter

A good 3 year old buck
I just put in a few 1000 Christmas trees, I also have a lawn to cut and have to cut around my crops and fruit trees...it's mainly flat with a few rut bumps here and there. I was thinking maybe a commercial zero turn mower but not sure on what brand. Any suggestions

Are you mowing grass or a fallow field or both?

-John

Zero turn would suit your needs. All commercial lines zero turns are so similar and use many of the same components (hydros, motors etc). I own a moderate scale landscaping biz and have run exmark, ferris, toro and deere zero turns and walk behinds. All are good. My only advise is stay away from kohler efi motors. I just had one replaced under warranty with 140 hrs on it. They have lifter issues that lead to other issues. Kawasaki FX motors are tried an true. Not sure on the vangaurd commercial. Have yet to try one. I would go with nothing smaller than 60". Also shop for a demo during winter months. My last purchase was a demo toro zmaster 3000 with 1.5hrs for $6400. Much cheaper than they typically sell for.
Hustler, spartan, bad boy an kabota are some other good ones to look at. I would stay away from scag. The blades are a bigger pain in the ass to take off an sharpen then most other brands.

Jordan knows what he's talking about. If you are buying used, the older Kohler Pro's were great motors, the new are junk. I just got a smoking deal on a used 62" Toro Zmaster yesterday with an older Kohler 27HP. It's going to the farm Friday.

Xmark and Toro are practically identical, Ferris and Simplicity now are, as well. Hustlers look nice, but I haven't run one. Not a fan of the Kubotas, they are a step lighter than the previously mentioned commercial mowers. Buddy bought one for non-comercial use and already had a major hydrostat issue, just mowing an acre a week.

Thanks guys

Just bought a Hustler X-one 60" with Kaw 27 hp for the duck club mainly because I got a 25% supplier discount. Seems like a nice mower. Was about to go with the Kohler EFI because of EFI, but caught wind of what Jordan was saying above.

Needed a new one as the old Grasshopper we had blew the engine.