Need Help Identifying These Two Weeds

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
I live in Southeastern Connecticut and need help to confirm that these two types of weeds are what I think they are.

I believe the weed shown in Pictures 1, 2 and 3 below is "Common Purslane". Am I correct? If not, what is the weed contained in Pictures 1, 2 and 3 called?

I believe the weed shown in Pictures 4, 5 and 6 below is "Horseweed". Am I correct? If not, what is the weed contained in Pictures 4, 5 and 6 called?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Pic 1
Hags Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2
Hags Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3
Hags Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4
Hags Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5
Hags Pic 5.jpg

Pic 6
Hags Pic 6.jpg

That first weed is either bedstraw or carpetweed. If it's smooth to the touch it's carpetweed. Bedstraw has a rough, sticky feel.

That second weed isn't horseweed, but I can't tell what it is yet. If you look at the plant on the right side of picture 6 it's branching close to the ground and has a flower that is about it open. Show us a pic when that flower opens and we can probably make a good ID.

I believe the second weed is Bouncing Bet or Soapwort. It could also be White Campion, I get them easily confused

Last edited:
Thx guys

That first weed is either bedstraw or carpetweed. If it's smooth to the touch it's carpetweed. Bedstraw has a rough, sticky feel.

That second weed isn't horseweed, but I can't tell what it is yet. If you look at the plant on the right side of picture 6 it's branching close to the ground and has a flower that is about it open. Show us a pic when that flower opens and we can probably make a good ID.

I think you mean the weed in the 3rd pic being bedstraw or carpet weed, don't you?

Very young weed sprouts are not easy to identify, for me. When I see those 1st 2 pics, I think it's Pa Smartweed, but they're too young to tell from a pic.

Pics 4-6 reminds me of wing stem that re-grows after it's been mowed (I thought wing stem was Jerusalem artichoke until you guys straightened me out...thanks). I have wing stem and it looks a lot like that if the plant has been disturbed. An unmolested wing stem will grow straight up with a single stock, but it can be branched out when damaged.
But that weeds in #6 with the flower does remind me of white campion. The pic isn't clear...is it possible there are 2 different weed varieties in that Pic?
I've seen some literature that name white campaign as a troublesome weed. I have an odd WC plant occasionally and every one of them gets heavily browsed. My deer love it.

I think you mean the weed in the 3rd pic being bedstraw or carpet weed, don't you?

Very young weed sprouts are not easy to identify, for me. When I see those 1st 2 pics, I think it's Pa Smartweed, but they're too young to tell from a pic.

Pics 4-6 reminds me of wing stem that re-grows after it's been mowed (I thought wing stem was Jerusalem artichoke until you guys straightened me out...thanks). I have wing stem and it looks a lot like that if the plant has been disturbed. An unmolested wing stem will grow straight up with a single stock, but it can be branched out when damaged.
But that weeds in #6 with the flower does remind me of white campion. The pic isn't clear...is it possible there are 2 different weed varieties in that Pic?
I've seen some literature that name white campaign as a troublesome weed. I have an odd WC plant occasionally and every one of them gets heavily browsed. My deer love it.

Yes, that is correct. I really can't see the first two pics very well, but he indicated that 1,2, and 3 were the same, so I took his word for that. However, as you said, my call was based on the third picture. Actually, I think 1 and 2 are probably something else but too tiny to say what they are.

Pic #6 is definitely white campion, have lots of it here. I've never seen signs of deer browsing it but my jersey steer loved it! Kills easy with gly or 2-4d but I usually just ignore it.

Pic 6 does appear to be two different varieties and I was not aware of it until you mentioned it. The top left weed, I’m not concerned with. It’s the other one in that pic. Do you guys think pics 1 & 2 is carpetweed or smarteeed? Pic 1-2 can be a different plant than 3 but I assumed it was 3 as it matured but I’m prob wrong. So we can say pic 6 is white campion. Does anyone know of a herbicide that can kill these and give me a longer time period before they grow back so I can get my brassicas going and shade them out? I’m aware the herbicide could have a planting residual but I have about another 2-2.5 weeks before I can plant my brassicas. Gly did not work last year as that weed in pics 1-2 grew back so fast. Any suggestions? I just put in a 1/2 acre plot of brassicas yesterday and we got an inch of rain. I just have a feeling these weeds will beat me again that is why I only did 1/2. I still got 3 acres left in which I save about 1 acre for the LC Mix in Sept. That will leave me 2 more acre for brassicas but I’d like to hear of a herbicide to use in which I don’t need an applicators license. Thx for your help guys.

Pic 6 does appear to be two different varieties and I was not aware of it until you mentioned it. The top left weed, I’m not concerned with. It’s the other one in that pic. Do you guys think pics 1 & 2 is carpetweed or smarteeed? Pic 1-2 can be a different plant than 3 but I assumed it was 3 as it matured but I’m prob wrong. So we can say pic 6 is white campion. Does anyone know of a herbicide that can kill these and give me a longer time period before they grow back so I can get my brassicas going and shade them out? I’m aware the herbicide could have a planting residual but I have about another 2-2.5 weeks before I can plant my brassicas. Gly did not work last year as that weed in pics 1-2 grew back so fast. Any suggestions? I just put in a 1/2 acre plot of brassicas yesterday and we got an inch of rain. I just have a feeling these weeds will beat me again that is why I only did 1/2. I still got 3 acres left in which I save about 1 acre for the LC Mix in Sept. That will leave me 2 more acre for brassicas but I’d like to hear of a herbicide to use in which I don’t need an applicators license. Thx for your help guys.

Once brassicas germinate, they are hard to stop - especially if you have a good thick stand. If you have a few weeds in with them, the deer won't care.

A strong does of Gly will usually either kill or render insignificant most weeds like that, at least for a while. If you have already planted, I think not much to do now but wait.

I’ve always used Gly for years and never had a prob especially for brassicas up until last year on this farm. But last year, I planted say on a Monday, we were suppose to get an inch of rain on tues and never got close to that and there was a decent period before we ever got a good rain. In addition to that, I always tend to seed on the lighter side for brassicas. Those two combo’s could have been the problem. Thx for helping out guys.