All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help Identifying These Two Weeds

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
I live in Southeastern Connecticut and need help to confirm that these two types of weeds are what I think they are.

I believe the weed shown in Pictures 1, 2 and 3 below is "Common Purslane". Am I correct? If not, what is the weed contained in Pictures 1, 2 and 3 called?

I believe the weed shown in Pictures 4, 5 and 6 below is "Horseweed". Am I correct? If not, what is the weed contained in Pictures 4, 5 and 6 called?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Pic 1
Hags Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2
Hags Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3
Hags Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4
Hags Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5
Hags Pic 5.jpg

Pic 6
Hags Pic 6.jpg

That first weed is either bedstraw or carpetweed. If it's smooth to the touch it's carpetweed. Bedstraw has a rough, sticky feel.

That second weed isn't horseweed, but I can't tell what it is yet. If you look at the plant on the right side of picture 6 it's branching close to the ground and has a flower that is about it open. Show us a pic when that flower opens and we can probably make a good ID.

I believe the second weed is Bouncing Bet or Soapwort. It could also be White Campion, I get them easily confused

Last edited:
Thx guys

That first weed is either bedstraw or carpetweed. If it's smooth to the touch it's carpetweed. Bedstraw has a rough, sticky feel.

That second weed isn't horseweed, but I can't tell what it is yet. If you look at the plant on the right side of picture 6 it's branching close to the ground and has a flower that is about it open. Show us a pic when that flower opens and we can probably make a good ID.

I think you mean the weed in the 3rd pic being bedstraw or carpet weed, don't you?

Very young weed sprouts are not easy to identify, for me. When I see those 1st 2 pics, I think it's Pa Smartweed, but they're too young to tell from a pic.

Pics 4-6 reminds me of wing stem that re-grows after it's been mowed (I thought wing stem was Jerusalem artichoke until you guys straightened me out...thanks). I have wing stem and it looks a lot like that if the plant has been disturbed. An unmolested wing stem will grow straight up with a single stock, but it can be branched out when damaged.
But that weeds in #6 with the flower does remind me of white campion. The pic isn't clear...is it possible there are 2 different weed varieties in that Pic?
I've seen some literature that name white campaign as a troublesome weed. I have an odd WC plant occasionally and every one of them gets heavily browsed. My deer love it.

I think you mean the weed in the 3rd pic being bedstraw or carpet weed, don't you?

Very young weed sprouts are not easy to identify, for me. When I see those 1st 2 pics, I think it's Pa Smartweed, but they're too young to tell from a pic.

Pics 4-6 reminds me of wing stem that re-grows after it's been mowed (I thought wing stem was Jerusalem artichoke until you guys straightened me out...thanks). I have wing stem and it looks a lot like that if the plant has been disturbed. An unmolested wing stem will grow straight up with a single stock, but it can be branched out when damaged.
But that weeds in #6 with the flower does remind me of white campion. The pic isn't clear...is it possible there are 2 different weed varieties in that Pic?
I've seen some literature that name white campaign as a troublesome weed. I have an odd WC plant occasionally and every one of them gets heavily browsed. My deer love it.

Yes, that is correct. I really can't see the first two pics very well, but he indicated that 1,2, and 3 were the same, so I took his word for that. However, as you said, my call was based on the third picture. Actually, I think 1 and 2 are probably something else but too tiny to say what they are.

Pic #6 is definitely white campion, have lots of it here. I've never seen signs of deer browsing it but my jersey steer loved it! Kills easy with gly or 2-4d but I usually just ignore it.

Pic 6 does appear to be two different varieties and I was not aware of it until you mentioned it. The top left weed, I’m not concerned with. It’s the other one in that pic. Do you guys think pics 1 & 2 is carpetweed or smarteeed? Pic 1-2 can be a different plant than 3 but I assumed it was 3 as it matured but I’m prob wrong. So we can say pic 6 is white campion. Does anyone know of a herbicide that can kill these and give me a longer time period before they grow back so I can get my brassicas going and shade them out? I’m aware the herbicide could have a planting residual but I have about another 2-2.5 weeks before I can plant my brassicas. Gly did not work last year as that weed in pics 1-2 grew back so fast. Any suggestions? I just put in a 1/2 acre plot of brassicas yesterday and we got an inch of rain. I just have a feeling these weeds will beat me again that is why I only did 1/2. I still got 3 acres left in which I save about 1 acre for the LC Mix in Sept. That will leave me 2 more acre for brassicas but I’d like to hear of a herbicide to use in which I don’t need an applicators license. Thx for your help guys.

Pic 6 does appear to be two different varieties and I was not aware of it until you mentioned it. The top left weed, I’m not concerned with. It’s the other one in that pic. Do you guys think pics 1 & 2 is carpetweed or smarteeed? Pic 1-2 can be a different plant than 3 but I assumed it was 3 as it matured but I’m prob wrong. So we can say pic 6 is white campion. Does anyone know of a herbicide that can kill these and give me a longer time period before they grow back so I can get my brassicas going and shade them out? I’m aware the herbicide could have a planting residual but I have about another 2-2.5 weeks before I can plant my brassicas. Gly did not work last year as that weed in pics 1-2 grew back so fast. Any suggestions? I just put in a 1/2 acre plot of brassicas yesterday and we got an inch of rain. I just have a feeling these weeds will beat me again that is why I only did 1/2. I still got 3 acres left in which I save about 1 acre for the LC Mix in Sept. That will leave me 2 more acre for brassicas but I’d like to hear of a herbicide to use in which I don’t need an applicators license. Thx for your help guys.

Once brassicas germinate, they are hard to stop - especially if you have a good thick stand. If you have a few weeds in with them, the deer won't care.

A strong does of Gly will usually either kill or render insignificant most weeds like that, at least for a while. If you have already planted, I think not much to do now but wait.

I’ve always used Gly for years and never had a prob especially for brassicas up until last year on this farm. But last year, I planted say on a Monday, we were suppose to get an inch of rain on tues and never got close to that and there was a decent period before we ever got a good rain. In addition to that, I always tend to seed on the lighter side for brassicas. Those two combo’s could have been the problem. Thx for helping out guys.