Need creative idea....found stone fence post

j-bird

I have a stone fence post (not sure of it's age) that I am looking for ideas on what to do with it.

Its about 7 feet long and about 6" square - and a HEAVY S.O.B! You can see the top is rounded and towards the top there is some sort of metal rod thru it. The bottom is wider than the type as expected for a fence post.
8161_bfe36a3c2aa32b22bfa8af9fde1c16fe.jpg

Just looking for something creative to do with it. Not really looking forward to digging the hole to set it, but it may come to that....I'll find a post hole digger for my tractor to borrow.

I don't know but think it is a great thing to do! Never heard of a stone fence post!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have landscaped area you could present it in at your place?

mount sundial to top, mount weathervane to top, remove center metal trod, run tubing through, make it the beer keg tap.
weld ring to top, mount about20 feet from sunny patio, centered... run ss wire to eave of house, train vines up to grow and make a living radial summer shade ( back to beer theme, grow hops vines
like wine better? grow grapes
wif like flowers? grow wisteria, trumpet creeper, honeysuckle.........
boring last idea, mount mailbox to top

If it was larger, you could make a vanity top like this one I made from a piece of sidewalk from the 1800s.
I had an extra piece so I made a shelf above the crapper. This stone didn't look like much until it had sealer on it.
Pour some water on your stone to see what it'll look like with sealer applied.
d0f417175239832dac3e97de2e050a06.jpg
96e26160906de724b3599b8ec8c5110a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Could that have been some sort of old time survey boundary marker? Just asking as I have never seen one like it before.

If it was larger, you could make a vanity top like this one I made from a piece of sidewalk from the 1800s.
I had an extra piece so I made a shelf above the crapper. This stone didn't look like much until it had sealer on it.
Pour some water on your stone to see what it'll look like with sealer applied.
d0f417175239832dac3e97de2e050a06.jpg
96e26160906de724b3599b8ec8c5110a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Awesome work!!!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tap
Miles of it in Kansas.
d4f571f0d86d965a849cea49b365e9b0.jpg

Well how about that!

Miles of it in Kansas.
d4f571f0d86d965a849cea49b365e9b0.jpg

We're wimps. They probably made those with hand tools.

We're wimps. They probably made those with hand tools.

They did make them with hand tools. I did some research on how they did it, pretty cool stuff. Stone was available, trees weren't. So everything was made from stone.
I have an old stone building on our land. Its made with huge stones and the workmanship is amazing. From what I've learned it was probably Russian and German artisans before the 1900's. People are soft now with short attention spans. Nothing that required that much work would get done today without machinery.

I think it's limestone. It's much smoother than those pictures in KS. I never thought about it being some sort of marker. There are no markings on it that I can tell. The top portion is pretty smooth so someone really top some time to finish the upper portion and add the rounded cap. I will contact my county just to make sure it isn't something important. I'm thinking of setting it in front of the house and putting a metal rod thru it and putting the family name vertically as well as the address or something like that in iron or the like. I don't want to compromise the stone itself - I think keeping it intact it important.

We have a bunch of old concrete fence posts on our property. Limestone is much nicer though.

We occasionally see them in SE MN and I've heard they are section corner markers, but I'm not sure if that is accurate or not. It seems like a permanent way to mark a location. There are lots of 200 year old oaks in this area, so I doubt they were used as standard fenceposts since wood has always been available. They're pretty cool regardless of what they were initially used for. Did you find it on your property?

We occasionally see them in SE MN and I've heard they are section corner markers, but I'm not sure if that is accurate or not. It seems like a permanent way to mark a location. There are lots of 200 year old oaks in this area, so I doubt they were used as standard fenceposts since wood has always been available. They're pretty cool regardless of what they were initially used for. Did you find it on your property?
Yes - the county did some work on a culvert and found/uncovered it. They didn't seem to worried about it and I thought it was pretty cool.

Sure its not concrete?

Sure its not concrete?
I'm pretty sure it's limestone.....it's not concrete. The "unfinished" surfaces show no sign of it being an aggregate type material.

It's limestone. the saw/tool marks are still visible is you know what to look for.