Need cider Press recommendations

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
By next year I would like to have a cider press. I know very little about the different options and would like to hear recommendations from those with experience. I'm willing to pay extra for features that add quality and ease of use. Let me know your thoughts on what you would recommend buying.

I know you said purchase. But why not make your own…example from a Harbor Freight shop press…google it. I am in the process of doing so.

Yep. Harbor Freight press works well.
The tough part is grinding the apples.
Here's mine.
2017 Version 1.0:
2018 Version 2.0:

Last year, I switched from a wooden press and grinder from Happy Valley to all stainless. It costs a few bucks, but was worth the move.

The stainless steel grinder handles crabs better than the wooden model. Apples come out in an apple sauce type of texture instead of some crabs coming out that are barely touched by the scratter.

A friend also switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year, I switched from a wooden press and grinder from Happy Valley to all stainless. It costs a few bucks, but was worth the move.

The stainless steel grinder handles crabs better than the wooden model. Apples come out in an apple sauce type of texture instead of some crabs coming out that are barely touched by the scratter.

A friend also switched.

The press is also stainless and is from a different supplier. No pictures right now.

Thanks everyone. If anyone else had more suggestions, please post.

Where did you get the stainless press and grinder?

Im going to use my shop press, Its a no brainer for me; dual use for other stuff. I have essentially a stainless steel tray with 4" sides to press on, Its something to the effect of 2'x 6' and a end pan drain. Its long enough that I will be able to press on, then slide out the stacks if I want on either side of the press so I can build the next mash stack as the other is under the press. I have a 50 ton shop press so I think I can smush apple mush with easy. I have oak blocking and should be good to go. I think as mentioned the grinding is the more important part. If I did not have the press I have I would look at a harbor freight or northern tool press. Hell you could build and arch and use a floor jack to to press up, anything will work.

I started with the plan to make a scatter and have some parts, but after seeing how much better the grinder or food processor like systems work and the ease to make one... Im going to make one of those. Scatters make chunks and a grinder makes a mash. Mine will be side fed to help prevent juice from running down on the motor but will be tube hopper fed the same essentially, Simple to make Direct drive off a motor.... scrap stainless steel parts for the rest.

something along the lines of below but gravity fed at an angle so the motor is not below but off to the side, fed off a sorting table, post tube wash.

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 20
  • xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 21
Im going to use my shop press, Its a no brainer for me; dual use for other stuff. I have essentially a stainless steel tray with 4" sides to press on, Its something to the effect of 2'x 6' and a end pan drain. Its long enough that I will be able to press on, then slide out the stacks if I want on either side of the press so I can build the next mash stack as the other is under the press. I have a 50 ton shop press so I think I can smush apple mush with easy. I have oak blocking and should be good to go. I think as mentioned the grinding is the more important part. If I did not have the press I have I would look at a harbor freight or northern tool press. Hell you could build and arch and use a floor jack to to press up, anything will work.

I started with the plan to make a scatter and have some parts, but after seeing how much better the grinder or food processor like systems work and the ease to make one... Im going to make one of those. Scatters make chunks and a grinder makes a mash. Mine will be side fed to help prevent juice from running down on the motor but will be tube hopper fed the same essentially, Simple to make Direct drive off a motor.... scrap stainless steel parts for the rest.

something along the lines of below but gravity fed at an angle so the motor is not below but off to the side, fed off a sorting table, post tube wash.

That is the one I have.

We have almost this exact model. Not sure it would be my first choice but for us the fun comes from making the cider . It was my great great grandads and has seen its fair share of apples.
f9c9ee5e9c9965ddb6bee89d1357fb61.jpg

If I had the funds and know how, pto driven scratter and hydraulic press. I wouldn't even know where to start on building one.IMG_8618.JPG

I am so looking forward to making cider and applejack once my trees really start putting it on. I'm even planting varieties now specifically for cider.
How cool will it be to be able to gift honey/cider/applejack to friends and family for the holidays!

I have always wondered why folks dont make presses out of their hydraulic wood splitters

By next year I would like to have a cider press. I know very little about the different options and would like to hear recommendations from those with experience. I'm willing to pay extra for features that add quality and ease of use. Let me know your thoughts on what you would recommend buying.
What did you end up with? Did you ever pull the trigger on a press?

What did you end up with? Did you ever pull the trigger on a press?
Not yet. But I have the whole neighborhood hooked on dried apple chips. Now that I’m retired I will get the press back on my mind again - after we get done with all the storm damage.

Last edited:
Not yet. But I have the whole neighborhood hooked on dried apple chips. Now that I’m retired I will get the press back on my mind again - after we get done with all the storm damage.
I went all in this morning with Pleasant Hill Grain. Ordered a 36L stainless maximizer press and the electric apple grinder hx864.

I went all in this morning with Pleasant Hill Grain. Ordered a 36L stainless maximizer press and the electric apple grinder hx864.

That's great news. If you have time, I hope you post some pictures and also some feedback after you try them out.

You will like them!