Native Hunter - Property #2 - The Creek Bluff

Nice place! How far is it from your other farm?

Only 4 miles in a straight line - probably a 5 minute drive. The other place was where my dad grew up and this new place is where my mom grew up. I feel blessed to have some land at both places. At this new place, my uncle and I are the only two landowners of the original farm. He doesn't hunt, and I can hunt his land as well.

That is awesome, some great history there as well.
My two places are five miles apart and very different also...it's interesting when you start running cameras and once in a blue moon get the same buck hitting both farms.

That is awesome, some great history there as well.
My two places are five miles apart and very different also...it's interesting when you start running cameras and once in a blue moon get the same buck hitting both farms.

LOL, I thought about that, but don't think it will happen. There is not enough big woods. A deer would have to cross a lot of open spaces to go between the two places.

Best wishes with you neighbor. I will be fine here in KY.

That's good. I didn't mean to be a downer. Your new place looks amazing. Should be an absolute joy to hunt. The only problem you might have then is being too excited to sleep!

That's good. I didn't mean to be a downer. Your new place looks amazing. Should be an absolute joy to hunt. The only problem you might have then is being too excited to sleep!

Thanks Telemark. It's been exciting so far. Yesterday when I drove out and saw about 10 big tom turkeys on the north end of my field, that did get me pumped up.

Looks like an ultimate stand in a great location. Bedding area is high, dry, and sunny. Lanes cover multiple directions. Out of the weather when needed …………… Now I want one !!
It's gonna host some good hunts & memories.

Looks like an ultimate stand in a great location. Bedding area is high, dry, and sunny. Lanes cover multiple directions. Out of the weather when needed …………… Now I want one !!
It's gonna host some good hunts & memories.

Thanks Bows. A few more pics from working yesterday:

Already started some hinge cutting:

V82gHTKh.jpg

This is the cedar thicket on another family member that borders my north soybean field. I'm standing in my field looking north. I can hunt this as well. The sign in that thicket is crazy, and they cross the field here headed for my blind on the south side.

NkirWUWh.jpg

This is another spot the deer come up the creek bank onto my ridge. This is the east end of the property.

LcjnMufh.jpg

Progress

fXjxEv7h.jpg

Keebler Elves used to live in this beech before one side fell off....

LektJU9h.jpg

Got other commitments for the next few days but hope to back on this soon.

The view from further back gives a better gauge of size. That's not a stand - that's a hotel !!! Really nice job Native. What a hideout !!

Signs & crossings look hot.

Below is a picture of the design I'm doing for this property. The yellow lines are shooting lanes from the tower blind. Use the numbers below to learn more about each feature.

#1 - This is the shooting lane that ends at the top of the bluff. A well established east / west trail crosses the lane here.

#2 - I have discovered a spring coming out of the hillside here. This shooting lane ends at that spring. I will develop this into a small pond. If it isn't too rocky, I will dig it by hand but will hire a backhoe if necessary.

#3 - The is a heavily used creek crossing on the west side. There is good bedding and cover up the hillside from here and the deer move from here up into the #8 shooting lane.

#4 - This is a shooting lane to a big gravel bar on the creek. I don't expect to shoot a deer here but might. This will be the water view for that peaceful easy feeling.

#5 - This is a well used entry point to the woods from deer coming across the middle of the field from the cedar thicket to the north. This is a long shooting lane and they will also use this lane for travel.

#6 - This is a random lane where I have already put a mineral lick.

#7 - This lane is on the ridgeline coming up from the creek at the crossing on the east end. The lane is looking down a well established trail.

#8 - This lane is on the ridgeline coming up from the creek at the crossing on the west end. This lane is also looking down a well established trail.

UM0e1gEh.jpg

Looks good!

But I was expecting to see the hardwood floors going in.

for those who have read "Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Brad Herndon, Steve's aerial photo demonstrates most of the desired terrain features for Mr Big!!

bill

I was back at it today and finally finished all of the shooting lanes. I had been putting off the tough one until last, but I finally jumped on it.

7i4thLdh.jpg

QlE2Uslh.jpg

Also did a little shovel work at the spring I found. There is a lot of water coming out of it high on the ridge.

m49wFeZh.jpg

When I was on the creek bank a few days ago, it was following the heavy rains and high waters. All the tracks along the banks had been washed out. In one week they have tracked it up again.

TyTAS64h.jpg

xJsJ8mTh.jpg

These Blue Bells are ready to pop soon. The creek banks are covered with wildflowers.

zW415KNh.jpg

24wsUxvh.jpg

Things are starting to take shape.

wy2Mma0h.jpg

In the last few days I have cut approximately 3,000 feet of shooting lanes at 15 feet wide. My old jeans fit me again. I'm back to my paying job tomorrow - which will be badly needed in order to pay for all this......:emoji_laughing:

Looks like a perfect pinch point off that knob!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I spent 10 hours today running a grinder and welder and scratching my head on my project. But still your still making me tired!