Nasty…nasty…Autumn Olive

chaded

5 year old buck +
Autumn Olive and I have had a few minor battles but its mostly been a cold war between us. The other day though I launched a full out attack on it by my one food plot. A lot of the bigger stumps were grubbed out and everything else taken down to the dirt. When it rears its ugly head again, and it will, I will switch to chemical warfare. I have seen where people think this stuff is good and even wish they had some. Well come and get all you want! I rarely ever see browsing activity and it gets so dense that deer do not bed in it. I doubt a mouse can bed in some of it!

060C10DF-5072-4A12-B58C-7ED57CE1A3F2.jpeg

View attachment 362107B068CCC-5D14-4CC0-9592-82F4758AE953.jpeg

I was backing into, pushing that junk over with my disc this past weekend, hate that junk, it is browsed, it is cover, but I hate it.

I fall into the love it category and make no apologies. It's very present here but don't think it's as invasive as in other areas as we often experience winter die back. Never seen it get too thick for bedding. I very rarely see it browsed but it gets extensively used for bedding, scrapes and rubs. Every area/property has its own circumstances and see what some of you guys experience and understand why it isn't welcomed.

It is one of the many incarnations of the devil himself. Large patches of it can be good bedding cover on public land, but I kill it with extreme prejudice on my property. There are better things to have around; wild plum has a similar growth habit but produces a better fruit and it gets browsed, so when I cut out AO, I like to replace with WP or hazelnut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I murder every bit of it I see. Same goes for MFR and bush honeysuckle. I have no use for any of it. It is a never-ending battle. Good job and keep hammering away!

Add Japanese barberry to that hit list and I agree AO is at the top of the worst list.

Doesn't it produce berries?

Yeah it does.

Ad honey locust to the hate list....

Here, the autumn olive thrives in sun and bush honeysuckle thrives in shade. Where they joust, the honeysuckle wins. The deer do love to live in it. I've seen autumn olive thickets that got too dense for deer to trail thru. In the thickest of the honeysuckle, seems the deer can still find ways to get under it.

I've been working my way thru a mess of Autumn Olive. Not over yet, but definitely making progress.20190720_105139.jpg

So what is the herbicide of choice to kill AO? Garlon?

So what is the herbicide of choice to kill AO? Garlon?

I’ve tried a few different things. If Im doing cut stump treatment or basal bark application I will use a ix of triclopyr 4 and diesel fuel, 20% triclopyr to diesel mix. Pathfinder, garlon, etc. at prescribed rates will work too I just found it cheaper to mic my own. I just experimented recently with foliar spraying with crossbow and it has killed it but we will see if it remains that way.

Basal bark treatment and foliar spraying can be difficult or impossible on really big plants. But then usually if your plants are that big you probably have a lot of it and cutting down everyone can be some work to do stump cut treatment. I have found my favorite way to deal with it when it gets big is if i can get equipment to it and mow or mulch it down to the dirt and and let the sprouts get maybe 3 foot high and treat them. But do not let them go a long time.

D8C02D0F-2DBB-4641-B092-EB6499EBE703.jpeg
I found the devils lair. MFR, AO and kudzu. I will drive around at $50 a tank and just soak ao with gly and triclopyr.

Try Tordon 22K with a silicone based surfactant. Very easy on the grass. Sometimes releases warm season grass. Think no washouts. Doesn't work well on bush honeysuckle. We had to add Arsenal to wipe it out.

Add Japanese barberry to that hit list
Agreed. Barberry is HELL in the mountains of Pa. Birds and mice spread the seeds, and it spreads like wildfire.

Some of the plants lauded and pushed by "Game agencies" in various states have become invasive, and are noxious problems now. Multiflora rose, AO, lespedeza, sawtooth oak - have become big problems in some areas. Sawtooth oak is now frowned on in some states. Multiflora rose was pushed in Pa. years ago as great rabbit cover. I know of no one who likes Multiflora rose.