My buck story (Nov 3rd)

B

BJE80

If you are looking for a big buck story then click the back button.
tongue.png

I bought our hunting land late fall of 2011. This was the first bow buck taken off our land.

Needless to say it has been somewhat of a struggle. We rarely get pictures of bucks during the summer/early fall. But we have some does that are residents of our land and we pretty much know them by name. So, comes the rut and naturally our property changes.

Last year I missed a good 8 pointer and shot right over his back. I had a monster stand behind me at last shooting light. But the final result was I had to settle for a doe with the bow.

The year before I saw some good bucks but they were never in range.

I told myself in 2014 I want to take my first buck with the bow off our land and wasn’t going to be fussy.

Saturday and Sunday I saw a spike at 10 yards, and a 6 pointer and an unknown buck at last light. This were a little slow but at least I was seeing bucks during daylight.

Monday morning (Nov 3) was a really nice morning. I decided to set up downwind of our 1/3 acre brassica plot to try and catch a buck scent checking the plot.

Low and behold at 7:30am this buck walked out of this thick stuff on the right side in front of me and he walked towards the left. I did not hear or see him and by the time I slowly got my bow in hand he was out of range.
IMG_5535_zps77c3f5fa.jpg

He went and stood over near the plot. I gave him and grunt and he didn’t hear me. I grunted again and he just stared at me and didn’t move for like 5 min. You can see the plot in the distance.

IMG_5537_zpse09fd362.jpg

Finally the curiosity got the best of him and he walked right over to me. I drew right when he was behind a pine tree and he walked right into the shooting lane. I took the shot, he ran off and I could see blood running down his chest as he ran. This woods looks open in the pictures but there is quite a bit of smaller brush growing.
I saw him slow down and disappear into the thicker brush in the distance.

IMG_5538_zps675e1426.jpg

About 20 seconds later I heard a crash. I poured myself some apple cider and sat down to enjoy the moment.

About ½ hour later I got down to check my arrow. I was pleased with what I saw:

IMG_5539_zps43a60226.jpg

The blood trail wasn’t too bad either. :D

IMG_5540_zps29181ac5.jpg

IMG_5541_zps5b890d96.jpg

A short track of 60 yards and there he lay:

IMG_5543_zpsd32f75c5.jpg

I’m very happy to get over the hump and kill my first buck with the bow on our land. We have taken 5 deer in 3 seasons of hunting total (gun and bow) which I think is respectable. Things may be looking up as I believe we are starting to figure out the big woods hunting as it can be tough to hunt sometimes and the deer populations are not that great to start with. I'm probably never going to consistenly kill big bucks here. I may strike lighting once in awhile but I see a lot of either passing or shooting of 100-110" deer here with the occasional 120"+ with the ceiling being 150".
A couple more pictures. He had a dressed weight of 152 lbs.
IMG_5560_zps200aae22.jpg

IMG_5564_zps51067d5f.jpg

IMG_5583_zps26914857.jpg

Very nice! Congrats! He's a fine buck no matter how you slice it brother! Saturday the 8th was the first time i had any encounters with shooters on my property this year...things are definitely picking up! It took me 6 yrs of improving and hunting our land before i connected on a buck...i know the feeling...enjoy it!

Very nice! Congrats! He's a fine buck no matter how you slice it brother! Saturday the 8th was the first time i had any encounters with shooters on my property this year...things are definitely picking up! It took me 6 yrs of improving and hunting our land before i connected on a buck...i know the feeling...enjoy it!

Were you passing on a lot of bucks in that 6 years or did it actually take you that long to get on a buck?

Were you passing on a lot of bucks in that 6 years or did it actually take you that long to get on a buck?

We have APR's...3 points to a side in this part of the state...so many little guys would not even be legal...that said i wouldn't have shot them any way. Along the way i have passed lots of legal yearlings and several nice 2 yr olds...hoping for a 3 yr old or better. Had some close calls...but never was able to get shots, or they stayed just out of range. All this on only 10 acres of land.

Good story with a happy end. "Big Buck" is relative, you just have to determine what the area can grow and maybe 110" is it. Try and figure what top end is on your property and shoot for the top 10-20% in that range.

Congrats on your first bow-kill buck off your place, they are all special, but situations like this make them a little more so!

great write up and congrats on getting your first bow buck off the property!

Shawnv pretty much nailed it in my opinion and you seem to have a realistic handle on it as well. Every property and general area has its limitations minus the occasional "gift from above". Being realistic makes life much more enjoyable.

Great story and Congrats again on your 1st bowbuck on your land.

Nice buck and boy he's fat!!

Nice buck and a nice story well told! Thanks for sharing.

Good buck and story! Congrats. Keep your expectations real. :)

Great story & pics. Like a lot of other first's you'll remember this one.

Congrats on your first bow-kill buck off your place, they are all special, but situations like this make them a little more so!

Couldn't agree more! Big congrats to you BJE80.

Congrats. The first one is always special.