Mowing my Beans and Brassicas

foggy

5 year old buck +
I had a nice stand of RR Soybeans. Then, I screwed up. Before seeding my brassica into the standing beans.....I should have sprayed with roundup. I didnt do that and while I got a good stand of brasica (turnips, rape, radish) I also got some awful weeds. Below.
Mow 1.JPG

Been watching these weeds outcompete my crops for a while now......and didnt know what to do. With some rain imminent tonight......I made an executive decision. i thought i would cut the tops off the weeds in hopes of killing them and saving my plot. I set my cutter up about 10-12" and mowed em off. I didn't have my weed guide.....so I don't know what these are. Any idea?

Heres the plot after I mowed the tops off. Not sure what the outcome will be......but it sure looks better now. The beans have set some pods.....and the brassica is looking good. I hope the mow job kills those weeds.
mow 2.JPG

Did I do the right thing?? Comments?

If that made you happy rather than look at the weed tops. Then it must have been the right move.

I would have left it if it was mine.

Any idea what those weeds are MO?

pigweed?

Without out a close up pic, they look like waterhemp.

You were not going to kill them with round up anyways.

.not sure if this pic will help. But I am curious to know what I am dealing with next year. :eek:
Big Pic.jpg

Looks like pigweed to me

I'll go with pigweed.

I am struggling with weeds the past few years.... Part of the reason I plan to talk to a neighbor farmer to see if he wants to farm my 3 main plots a couple years. I am tired of trying to play farmer and failing. Plenty of other work to do that keeps getting neglected.

I am driving down to talk to him tomorrow. This food plotting is really crampin' my style. ;)

Maybe in the future a weed wipe might work. A lot depends on your weeds too. I have used a weed wipe in the past with some success.

Maybe in the future a weed wipe might work. A lot depends on your weeds too. I have used a weed wipe in the past with some success.

Every year I swear I am going to build one or buy one. .....and then another year goes by. A weed bar would have been PERFECT for this situation.

Maybe next year I'll buy one. ;)