All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mowing my Beans and Brassicas

foggy

5 year old buck +
I had a nice stand of RR Soybeans. Then, I screwed up. Before seeding my brassica into the standing beans.....I should have sprayed with roundup. I didnt do that and while I got a good stand of brasica (turnips, rape, radish) I also got some awful weeds. Below.
Mow 1.JPG

Been watching these weeds outcompete my crops for a while now......and didnt know what to do. With some rain imminent tonight......I made an executive decision. i thought i would cut the tops off the weeds in hopes of killing them and saving my plot. I set my cutter up about 10-12" and mowed em off. I didn't have my weed guide.....so I don't know what these are. Any idea?

Heres the plot after I mowed the tops off. Not sure what the outcome will be......but it sure looks better now. The beans have set some pods.....and the brassica is looking good. I hope the mow job kills those weeds.
mow 2.JPG

Did I do the right thing?? Comments?

If that made you happy rather than look at the weed tops. Then it must have been the right move.

I would have left it if it was mine.

Any idea what those weeds are MO?

pigweed?

Without out a close up pic, they look like waterhemp.

You were not going to kill them with round up anyways.

.not sure if this pic will help. But I am curious to know what I am dealing with next year. :eek:
Big Pic.jpg

Looks like pigweed to me

I'll go with pigweed.

I am struggling with weeds the past few years.... Part of the reason I plan to talk to a neighbor farmer to see if he wants to farm my 3 main plots a couple years. I am tired of trying to play farmer and failing. Plenty of other work to do that keeps getting neglected.

I am driving down to talk to him tomorrow. This food plotting is really crampin' my style. ;)

Maybe in the future a weed wipe might work. A lot depends on your weeds too. I have used a weed wipe in the past with some success.

Maybe in the future a weed wipe might work. A lot depends on your weeds too. I have used a weed wipe in the past with some success.

Every year I swear I am going to build one or buy one. .....and then another year goes by. A weed bar would have been PERFECT for this situation.

Maybe next year I'll buy one. ;)