Mowing Chicory

roymunson

5 year old buck +
I have some really nice WINA Fusion coming up (chicory and clover) but have some weeks that are coming up that I'm afraid are actually getting tall enough that it might make a shot at a deer tough. 2 questions.

1. in the off season, do you mow chicory like you do clover?

2. I'm assuming I'd be alright to brushhog the weeds up high here before the season gets going, correct?

I manage my mix of clover and chicory just like any other perennial plot. I mow when the weeds say I need to and I try to only mow enough to knock the weeds back, mowing short only invites more weeds to the available sunlight. I also like to only mow 1/2 the plot at a time.....makes sure there is always food in the plot. Depending on the weeds and the like - I have even just walked the plot with a weed wacker or a spray bottle to address weeds before.

You will be fine mowing now, just mow only as short as you have to. The more you leave of the clover and chicory the better.

Agree with Jbird, I usually knock down the tallest weeds with a weedeater. I'm fairly tolerant of some weeds in clover, just dint want it taking over.

Same here - I won't mow chicory unless I have to for weeds.

I do not have experience with chicory but read your supposed to more to prevent " bolting" flower stalks and going to seed i presume??

I do not have experience with chicory but read your supposed to more to prevent " bolting" flower stalks and going to seed i presume??

The people who sell seed don't want you getting any free seed, so you can just disregard that fake news.

When you get a good variety of chicory, the deer will eat the stalks just as well as they will the leaves. I've seen them take the top 18 inches out a a 5 foot plant in one bite. Plus, if you mow it you can't post pictures of pretty blue flowers...........

DWSKyxT.jpg

The think about mowing before "bolting" refers to a monoculture of chicory. If it goes to seed you can get too much seed per square foot resulting in a cluster of stunting plants. I think it is much less of an issue in a mix with clover.

Thanks,

Jack

Mowing mine doesn't seem to hurt it, this alfalfa/clover/chicory plot was mowed twice this summer.

9MBFPXW.jpg

The people who sell seed don't want you getting any free seed, so you can just disregard that fake news.

When you get a good variety of chicory, the deer will eat the stalks just as well as they will the leaves. I've seen them take the top 18 inches out a a 5 foot plant in one bite. Plus, if you mow it you can't post pictures of pretty blue flowers...........

DWSKyxT.jpg
Agreed

In this particular spot, I don't have huge deer numbers to keep it mowed down. Having it bolt and seed out is a real possibility

The deer will eat it no mater where it is in it's growth stage. That goes for bolted and dormant in the middle of winter right next to other "winter" crops as well.

To answer your original question... Right or wrong I mow mine shortly after Memorial Day and again close to Labor Day. It's worked for me just fine. I dont spray or frost seed and by the third year it gets a little thin and weedy which is fine by me because I rotate my clover into Brassica every third year no mater what the clover looks like.

Last edited:
Can chicory be frost seeded?

Mowing mine doesn't seem to hurt it, this alfalfa/clover/chicory plot was mowed twice this summer.

9MBFPXW.jpg
That’s some deer candy there.