All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving from RR to Liberty beans and corn

Yes, I switched last year. It worked well, but I didn't experience a cost savings, it was substantially more money.

Marestail laughs and 2,4-D here, as well.
Timing is very important when it comes to controlling marestail with 24D. You need Ester or Amine and the marestail must be small for good control. Having said that, you probably know what works best with your weeds. I've gotten pretty good control with Amine so far.

Yes, I switched last year. It worked well, but I didn't experience a cost savings, it was substantially more money.

Yep just planted my first Liberty beans today. It ain't going to be cheap....
But cheaper than RR back in the day.

I spent last summer spot spraying maretail with 2-4d and gly in different doses and frequencies. Killed a percentage of it but not a high percentage. Ended up pulling by hand before it set seed. A herbicide that works is worth the price...

I spent last summer spot spraying maretail with 2-4d and gly in different doses and frequencies. Killed a percentage of it but not a high percentage. Ended up pulling by hand before it set seed. A herbicide that works is worth the price...

Indeed the pigweed and marestail laughed in my face last year. Let's see em laugh now :)

Well I looked at the spray cost and reviews on spraying with Liberty to burn down as opposed to GLY and the cost per acre is less so I am going to give it a try. Anyone else with food plots switch over?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look into something to reduce the foaming. Sprayed ok but cleanup looked like I put dawn in the dish washer.

If you've never put dawn in your wife's dishwasher, "DON'T". :)

So I am VERY familiar with RR beans and the draw backs of gly and the herbicide resistance of some weeds to gly. What exactly is different about Liberty beans? I plant what my rental farmer plants, so I am not sure if they are RR or Liberty.....I spray them with gly. I will obviously ask him before I plant this year. I get my seed for free as I simply help clean out the planter/drill and he lets me keep/use what would otherwise be tossed out for the birds.

So I am VERY familiar with RR beans and the draw backs of gly and the herbicide resistance of some weeds to gly. What exactly is different about Liberty beans? I plant what my rental farmer plants, so I am not sure if they are RR or Liberty.....I spray them with gly. I will obviously ask him before I plant this year. I get my seed for free as I simply help clean out the planter/drill and he lets me keep/use what would otherwise be tossed out for the birds.

Liberty link crops are Bayer's answer to Monsanto's RR crops. Different animal all together.

Obviously RR crops are immune to the old non selective herbicide glyphosate. Liberty link crops are immune to a different non selective herbicide "glufosinate"

Until WTNUT posted the pic I never knew some beans have both traits.

Liberty link crops are Bayer's answer to Monsanto's RR crops. Different animal all together.

Obviously RR crops are immune to the old non selective herbicide glyphosate. Liberty link crops are immune to a different non selective herbicide "glufosinate"

Until WTNUT posted the pic I never knew some beans have both traits.
Well, sounds like I need to certainly ask...... I plant liberty and not know it and spray with gly like I do normal RR and kill my plot, I'm gonna be pissed! Even if the seed was free!

Holy crap.....I just did a quick search on this "glufosinate" product and it was $180/2.5g....gly in the same size was like $40!!!!!! Piss on it....I'll let the marestail grow!!!!!

Well, sounds like I need to certainly ask...... I plant liberty and not know it and spray with gly like I do normal RR and kill my plot, I'm gonna be pissed! Even if the seed was free!

Holy crap.....I just did a quick search on this "glufosinate" product and it was $180/2.5g....gly in the same size was like $40!!!!!! Piss on it....I'll let the marestail grow!!!!!

Well, you need to look at application rates as well. There is no doubt it will be more expensive on a per acre basis, but I'm wasting my money with RR with my marestail problem. Between the competition and my browse pressure beans don't get established and never canopy. Glyphosate makes the problem even worse because it eliminates much of the natural competition from the marestail.

I'm still unwilling to pony up the money for LL but I may need to in the future. For now, I've switched to using 24D Amine or Ester followed by planting buckwheat. I don't know yet how well this will work but my deer use buckwheat but don't really abuse it. With less browse pressure and the quick germination and smothering nature of buckwheat, I'm hoping to provides at least some summer food while dealing with the marestail. So far, I can say spraying 24D Amine at the right time when the marestail is small is pretty effective. I'll start planting the buckwheat in another 10 days or so.

If this doesn't work, I may be forced to go the LL route.

Thanks,

Jack

When the red root pigweed joins the marestail you'll pony up the $$$. I did pay $180 from keystone. Since I've found it local for $161 for 2.5 gallons. At 1 quart per acre that's only $16/acre. But it sure does make one get more precise about how much their putting down

Xtend beans are actually cheaper than rr beans and you will get a much better kill. Your marestail better be really small for liberty to kill it and you need warm sunny days while spraying. Also it takes alot more water with liberty.

Xtend beans are actually cheaper than rr beans and you will get a much better kill. Your marestail better be really small for liberty to kill it and you need warm sunny days while spraying. Also it takes alot more water with liberty.

It takes 20 gal per acre and the Marestail can be up to 12 inches if you go with 32oz per acre. How much water do you use for Gly.

It takes 20 gal per acre and the Marestail can be up to 12 inches if you go with 32oz per acre. How much water do you use for Gly.

8 to 10 is what I spray for gly. Also with LL soybeans make sure to add a generic select with the mix and AMS. Liberty is not a good grass killer like gly is. If Marestail is bad a fall burndown is needed for better control. And remember to only spray ignite when it is warm and sunny.

One might want to check out if gramoxone SL 2.0(paraquat) and metribuzin will work for one's situation with marestail, and waterhemp. This is my first year to use it but from what I was told by the farm chem experts at a local business similar to a coop but privately owned and from what I researched should help with my gly resistant weeds in the initial burndown. I use Medal 2 ec as preemergent for the above mentioned weeds.

I planted my soybeans May 1st and sprayed the above concoction (gramoxone, metribuzin, medal 2, and NIS) plus 32oz non ionic surfactant two days later. I checked on the plots today and the beans area coming up and everything else is dead including the nice stand of marestail I had growing.

Withing 4 weeks I will check on the plots again and see how it is looking and go from there.

One might want to check out if gramoxone SL 2.0(paraquat) and metribuzin will work for one's situation with marestail, and waterhemp. This is my first year to use it but from what I was told by the farm chem experts at a local business similar to a coop but privately owned and from what I researched should help with my gly resistant weeds in the initial burndown. I use Medal 2 ec as preemergent for the above mentioned weeds.

I planted my soybeans May 1st and sprayed the above concoction (gramoxone, metribuzin, medal 2, and NIS) plus 32oz non ionic surfactant two days later. I checked on the plots today and the beans area coming up and everything else is dead including the nice stand of marestail I had growing.

Withing 4 weeks I will check on the plots again and see how it is looking and go from there.

Willy,
Can you spray that cocktail again once the beans come up? If the weeds return.

I'd be very careful with paraquat. There are grazing restrictions for a month after applying it. I wonder what effect it might have on deer that we eat....

Thanks,

Jack

Paraquat is some bad stuff,don't get on your skin.I know some spray guys that won't use.Anything that takes a plant from living to crispy in 24-48 hours can't be healthy.I use interline or ignite on marestail and pigweed