Mostly successful direct seeded chestnuts

My dad told me some of these were looking bad. I got down to their place this weekend and found about 1/3 are dead or dying. Not positive if it was the late frost or borers. I suspect borers but I didn't have time to go through them closely. The few I did look at I thought I could see a hole but didn't have time to be sure.. The good news is they were sprouting suckers so some might survive. I'm sure some rain would help. I plan to thin these out in 5-10 years so this is just a head start on that and makes me glad I planted so many at this tight spacing.

My dad told me some of these were looking bad. I got down to their place this weekend and found about 1/3 are dead or dying. Not positive if it was the late frost or borers. I suspect borers but I didn't have time to go through them closely. The few I did look at I thought I could see a hole but didn't have time to be sure.. The good news is they were sprouting suckers so some might survive. I'm sure some rain would help. I plan to thin these out in 5-10 years so this is just a head start on that and makes me glad I planted so many at this tight spacing.

The leaves on my chestnuts that had formed prior to the late freeze all turned brown and shriveled up. Fortunately, it was a fairly small percentage that had formed then. My trees look fine in general but the crisp early leaves are still there. If I had not seen these leave turning brown before the new leave formed, I would suspect some disease or insect problem.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks for posting. I put out 20 seeds yesterday and have more to do today. I am cutting tree tubes in 3rds for protection. I hope it works because it is a lot cheaper and less work than buying seedlings!