direct seeding chestnuts

ethompson

5 year old buck +
Been a while since I've posted anything on this site. But something unexpected happened that I would like to share.
I ordered chinese chestnuts seeds from route 9 and received them in early November. I was able to plant them in groups of 3 on Nov 14. At the time I thought I had planted them in straight lines. 2 weeks ago I had chestnut and pear seedlings I wanted to plant in the same place and in the same lines. I noticed one the sites where I planted a set of chestnut seeds was out of line with the rest of the trees. I grabbed a shovel and not being to careful, dug up the 3 seeds. After a shovel full of dirt I started to move the dirt around with the shovel to locate the seeds. I started to notice some green in the dirt. At first I figured it was just some grass that was mixed up in the dirt. Then when I did locate the seeds 2 of them already had 1-2" taproots and 1 already started growing the upward growth. In the process I halfway dis-located one of the tap roots. I was really shocked that the seeds had already started growing the taproots and really surprised that 1 had already growing the trunk. I thought that the seeds needed months of cold stratification before anything happened. This was November and early December in east Texas. That time of year we get a range of temps between 30-85 F. Mostly its in the 60's and 70's. I was really starting to question the whole cold stratification process. Could somebody please explain to me why I had growing chestnut sees in such a short amount of time? I didn't think about taking pics until the end but I got a good pic of 1 seed with a taproot.

1671729823125.jpeg

I have no idea

I always bought into the 60-90 day cold stratification in fridge plan

perhaps a few other Castaneaphiles can offer some thoughts

bill

I'm not a bit surprised at that. I've had Castanea pumila to start making a radicle while still hanging in the bur on the tree. This has happened several times over the years. You will read a lot of stuff from experts that doesn't always hold true in the real world, and rules about cold stratification of Castanea nuts is one of them. Enjoy your chestnuts.

Last edited:
My wife put some hickory nuts on the table as decoration a couple of weeks ago. Just saw this this morning.

430346AA-AB1D-48E5-9993-6C61226A152F.jpeg