More comprehensive List for blueKYstream and others interested

There is one more thing to keep in mind about apples.... And, if anyone here wants to debate it, I can flood you with research that I've done to back up what I'm saying. The following is a FACT and not speculation:

When you grow apples on dwarfing and semi dwarfing rootstocks, you are almost always magnifying any disease issues that they had growing on their own roots. With good, highly DR cultivars (like Liberty) it isn't likely to matter. However, with cultivars that had marginal DR as a full sized tree on their own root, it can matter in a big way. There are multiple reasons for this, but the biggest reasons are the size reduction of the tree and that they start flowering at a younger age.

I had a very comprehensive thread regarding this on the old QDMA forum and I currently have one on the Deer Hunter Forum. I never posted it here, because I felt that most people here look over there from time to time anyway. However, if it would be helpful to anyone, I could do some cutting and pasting and place the thread over here on this forum as well. It's up to you - I don't care. I'm already updating threads at both places, so one more isn't going to matter. But, I must warn you - I don't hold back anything in this thread I'm talking about, because I am passionate about it. And if that means a bloody fight - then so be it.

Last edited:
Native - From all you've planted and observed, I believe if you say it won't work for you - it won't work for others in your region. And if it DOES grow well there, chances are good it will grow well for most other guys. If any apple or pear trees can survive the FB & CAR you have there, it must be a good variety.

My camp is about 1 hour from Aero and we have no issue with Goldrush either. I agree with Aero's assessment of "sweeter with cold weather." It's a shame that you guys in warmer regions can't make a go of Goldrush. I've eaten Goldrush from camp in northern Pa. and also from home area orchard in southern Pa. The ones from colder climate camp taste better.

We have 2 Kieffer pears and 1 Morse hybrid pear. If any of those show signs of FB, it's chainsaw & burn for them. Not gonna risk all the apple trees.

Iam In PA and Goldrush I have planted have not shown any disease problems with FB and others but I spray for the others. It is a late dropping Apple and gets sweeter with colder weather. I also get late drop and no disease issues with Granny Smith as well as Cripps Pink. I think orchard housekeeping and weather are even bigger reasons why many trees get or don’t get Fb and other diseases. Some just aren’t preventable. Good luck and keep trees healthy and they will fight disease better

With enough babying and spraying I suppose that any apple can be grown anywhere. My thread and list are about the EXACT OPPOSITE of that. I am not an orchardist and have absolutely NO DESIRE to be one. My trees are wildlife trees, and anything that can't make it without minimal (and reasonable) care can just DIE - and I will be happy to watch it die. Your statements about orchard housekeeping DO NOT apply to me, because I don't own an orchard. I own a woods!

This discussion started in another thread at the link below. Someone who was a novice from Kentucky asked advice about apples to grow. Someone else suggested Goldrush along with some other puny "life support" apples, and I showed them why that was a bad idea (for non sprayers from KY). I suggest you read the thread below and you will see how this got started.

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/which-apple-trees-to-plant.9931/#post-180253

So the moral of this story is really three things: (1) what works well at one place may not work well at another, (2) some people have absolutely no desire to be an orchardist and grow apples on life support, and (3) bad advice is free and abundant.

BTW - There was another recent thread where someone asked about replacing Goldrush. I advised them not to do it before they made sure it was actually going to be a problem for them. So, good advice is when we take all factors into consideration before speaking. That goes for most everything in life and not just for apples.

Last edited:
Native - From all you've planted and observed, I believe if you say it won't work for you - it won't work for others in your region. And if it DOES grow well there, chances are good it will grow well for most other guys. If any apple or pear trees can survive the FB & CAR you have there, it must be a good variety.

My camp is about 1 hour from Aero and we have no issue with Goldrush either. I agree with Aero's assessment of "sweeter with cold weather." It's a shame that you guys in warmer regions can't make a go of Goldrush. I've eaten Goldrush from camp in northern Pa. and also from home area orchard in southern Pa. The ones from colder climate camp taste better.

We have 2 Kieffer pears and 1 Morse hybrid pear. If any of those show signs of FB, it's chainsaw & burn for them. Not gonna risk all the apple trees.

Bows, I'm certain I could grow Goldrush with just some minor spraying, but I'm not willing to do it. There are too many other good choices.

I always admire your work and research that you have put into apples. If I am ever in PA, I sure would like to come and look at some of your trees.

There is one more thing to keep in mind about apples.... And, if anyone here wants to debate it, I can flood you with research that I've done to back up what I'm saying. The following is a FACT and not speculation:

When you grow apples on dwarfing and semi dwarfing rootstocks, you are almost always magnifying any disease issues that they had growing on their own roots. With good, highly DR cultivars (like Liberty) it isn't likely to matter. However, with cultivars that had marginal DR as a full sized tree on their own root, it can matter in a big way. There are multiple reasons for this, but the biggest reasons are the size reduction of the tree and that they start flowering at a younger age.

I had a very comprehensive thread regarding this on the old QDMA forum and I currently have one on the Deer Hunter Forum. I never posted it here, because I felt that most people here look over there from time to time anyway. However, if it would be helpful to anyone, I could do some cutting and pasting and place the thread over here on this forum as well. It's up to you - I don't care. I'm already updating threads at both places, so one more isn't going to matter. But, I must warn you - I don't hold back anything in this thread I'm talking about, because I am passionate about it. And if that means a bloody fight - then so be it.

I'm interested.

It's a shame that you guys in warmer regions can't make a go of Goldrush.

Is Goldrush really picky about where it grows? I was reading that it isn't cold hardy, so i was ready to write it off.

I'm interested.

I'm iced in today with nothing to do, so I will do it.

Go buy yourself a months supply of popcorn, a first aid kit and an extra pair of reading glasses.....:emoji_head_bandage:

I've only begun to read your thread on DHF, but I intend to read through it fully. Since my trees are in a backyard orchard and incorporated into our family vegetable garden, I can keep a close eye on the trees and provide regular maintenance, but I prefer trees that require the least maintenance. I'm new to fruit tree care and only have the past 4 years experience when I purchased land and planted my own trees. My young trees and this forum have taught me a lot. Also, my property came with dozens of wild apple trees growing in an established forest. These have already provided me with a grafting playground and I look forward to learning a lot in the coming years.

Is Goldrush really picky about where it grows? I was reading that it isn't cold hardy, so i was ready to write it off.
Goldrush is very cold hardy at least the kind we have in PA lol

I've only begun to read your thread on DHF, but I intend to read through it fully. Since my trees are in a backyard orchard and incorporated into our family vegetable garden, I can keep a close eye on the trees and provide regular maintenance, but I prefer trees that require the least maintenance. I'm new to fruit tree care and only have the past 4 years experience when I purchased land and planted my own trees. My young trees and this forum have taught me a lot. Also, my property came with dozens of wild apple trees growing in an established forest. These have already provided me with a grafting playground and I look forward to learning a lot in the coming years.

I envy folks who have wild apple trees. A guy from New York who had some nice wild ones sent me some scion wood a couple of years ago. Those things have take off like rockets. Can't wait to get fruit off of them. Also, it is going to be interesting when he and I can compare drop times, etc...

Well there are other guys on this forum who do have orchards and not only grow apples for wildlife so I stand by my statement and I guess not all guys are in Kentucky so weather and environment including flora and fauna are not the same as Kentucky so I think what I posted may be helpful to some.

The moral of my comment is
1 no advice is bad or good advice but simply statements or comments by some who want to share experiences
2 there are really no rules or boundaries in the threads posted here
3 Iam not an orchardist but a guy who enjoys hunting, the outdoors and growing apples and other fruits for myself and wildlife

Please don’t consider my comments good or bad advice but merely a little info on my experiences of growing fruit trees over the past 10 years. I am not an exper for sure lol

You can stand by your statements until Hell freezes over as far as I'm concerned, but wrong is wrong. And you are wrong about your #1 comment above. Their is such a thing as bad advice when someone asks for advice and are led wrong. That's like saying there is no such thing as good and evil.

Advice can be good or it can be bad - to say differently should be obviously wrong to everyone. A dope addict could give someone advice to try drugs. Would that not be bad advice?

Best Wishes.

Last edited:
I really like this list of dos and don’ts for apple cultivars. The fact you have made it clear you don’t spray is even better. I’m sure there are people that cruise the forum that gather information but don’t post. This makes it clear which apples don’t require spray where some cultivars on here are mentioned and may or may not receive a spray program. I know when I first started looking for apples to plant I picked some bad varieties without knowing any better. I thought they were good since they had been mentioned on the qdma forum.

I really like this list of dos and don’ts for apple cultivars. The fact you have made it clear you don’t spray is even better. I’m sure there are people that cruise the forum that gather information but don’t post. This makes it clear which apples don’t require spray where some cultivars on here are mentioned and may or may not receive a spray program. I know when I first started looking for apples to plant I picked some bad varieties without knowing any better. I thought they were good since they had been mentioned on the qdma forum.

I'm glad you like the list DLH, and I intend for this list to be constantly evolving. In fact, I could almost go ahead and move Summer Champion out of the "still being evaluated" part into the acceptable list. It has shown no signs of disease and made a dandy crop in 2018 with smaller crops leading up to that. One more good year, and I will be ready to recommend it. There may be others in the "still being evaluated" that will end up in the rejected list.

Over time, I hope this helps a lot of people.

Dude I have some advice. Chill. You make it like you are an expert and god about wildlife apples but maybe just a wanna be know it all. It’s pretty cold here so maybe hell is starting to freeze over lol . I am done responding to you now. And per your example I think a drug addict might be the best person to give good advice based on experiences

Over and out. (Dropping mic )

Wrong again dude - I said if a drug addict gave advice to try drugs. Go back and read it for yourself.

You are the "wanna be know it all" instead of me. Just because your learning and reading comprehension is bad, don't blame me.

So, You "chill out," and I'm not going anywhere. I'm not "over and out" and not "dropping any mic"!!!! I'm right here for the long haul.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
That escalated quickly! Let’s get back to wildlife apple plantings, I love these threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That escalated quickly! Let’s get back to wildlife apple plantings, I love these threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love these threads too, but when someone says there is no such thing as bad advice and calls a member here a "wanna be know it all" I won't stand by and say nothing - especially when it comes from someone who has proven over and over to be snobbish.

He has now gone back and deleted all of those posts (out of embarrassment I would guess), but they still appear where I quoted them. I can't blame him for deleting them. I would be embarrassed as well to act like that.

I'm ready to talk fruit growing, so carry on!

I love these threads too, but when someone says there is no such thing as bad advice and calls a member here a "wanna be know it all" I won't stand by and say nothing - especially when it comes from someone who has proven over and over to be snobbish.

He has now gone back and deleted all of those posts (out of embarrassment I would guess), but they still appear where I quoted them. I can't blame him for deleting them. I would be embarrassed as well to act like that.

I'm ready to talk fruit growing, so carry on!
I was willing to let it go but I guess you are too much of an asshole to not let it go Mr Expert. I will ignore you as the ignorant low life you are

I was willing to let it go but I guess you are too much of an asshole to not let it go Mr Expert. I will ignore you as the ignorant low life you are

It's really a bad thing to be using such fowl language on this forum. It's especially bad because there may even be young people on here, and just think of the example it sets for them. I hope you are just mad and not really that bad of a person. If you are, I sincerely hope you can change.

I don't do fowl language and name calling, so I'm not calling you anything in response to the above. But I do point out when someone is wrong - and you are wrong, and everyone on the forum knows it. I would suggest that if you can't run with the big dogs - you should stay on the porch. And once again, I'm not going anywhere.

It's a funny thing to me how that everyone was getting along just fine - and suddenly someone who hasn't been around for months, pops in like a bat our of Hades and the fighting and cursing starts. Tells me a lot.....

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Steve
I remember you mentioning dwarfing or semi dwarfing rootstock amplifying issues in fruit trees. Specifically Wolf river. I planted a wolf river below the graft union to see if I cant get it to produce some monster apples some day. It was a $6 Lowes clearance apple so wont be out much if it fails. Kind of an interesting finding on this tree is the tag stated 20-30ft growth and all the other lowes apple trees said 12-14ft. What are the chances they grew the wolf rivers on a standard rootstock knowing they dont do well on dwarf roots?

Steve
I remember you mentioning dwarfing or semi dwarfing rootstock amplifying issues in fruit trees. Specifically Wolf river. I planted a wolf river below the graft union to see if I cant get it to produce some monster apples some day. It was a $6 Lowes clearance apple so wont be out much if it fails. Kind of an interesting finding on this tree is the tag stated 20-30ft growth and all the other lowes apple trees said 12-14ft. What are the chances they grew the wolf rivers on a standard rootstock knowing they dont do well on dwarf roots?

Jordan, that is a possibility but I doubt the people at the nursery would even know enough to do that - and I doubt they would care. I think you did the right thing by planting it so that it can possibly take root above the graft. That would be the best possibility of it doing well for you without spraying. The biggest issue you may have is that it won't even be a Wolf River. I can't prove it, but I suspect that a good number of the box store trees are labeled wrong. A source I won't reveal once told me that they would do anything to fill an order when K-Mart, Wally World or others wanted trees - even if it meant just slapping tags on whatever was there. Of course, not everyone would be that dishonest, but there are those out there that would.

PS: I just copied and pasted that thread about the disease issues with dwarfing in a new thread on this forum today. If you ever want to go back and refresh on that, it is here now.

Good luck with the Wolf River and let me know later how it does for you.

Last edited: