More cage questions

I use the 5' concrete wire from menards and like the wide diameter(5') around trees to keep deer of of branches. Something I started doing a few years ago was narrow the cage and then using a bolt cutters, cut the wire at the top three or four horizontal pieces in same column and then pull those portion out. I'd cut the wire in the center so there'd be a sharp tag end sticking out to further dissuade the deer from trying to get closer to the tree. Basically the cage would be about two feet wide for 3.5' or so and then the portion above that would be pulled out to make it 2.5' from the tree at farthest point. The wire allows it to be shaped just how one wants it and the branches tell you where to cut it to make the cut that will be pulled out.

I put tree tubes cut vertically around the trunks as when they are cut vertically they allow me to roll them as tight as the trunk is and then I sink them into the ground around them and they hold the shape. I have yet to have any damage from the tube or varmits since doing this. I've had mouse nest in tubs that were left whole and around trunks. Thankfully they didn't girdle the trees. The window screen shown above looks good and I've use that but it was more cumbersome (for me) than the tube process I use. I have been using the same tubes for trees the past ten years. I just recycle them to the next batch of fruit trees I'm planting as well as the tree cages.

Chainsaw, In your situation where you need 6' and you could use two t-posts and put the wire off the ground a ft or so to give you the height you need. The rolls are 150' and would be a cheaper and in my opinion better option. When I first started making tree cages I used the welded wire you speak of and many time the welds break and then there is wire where I don't want wire dangling and such. There is also a lot more cuts one has to make when cutting it to size than the wider spaced concrete mesh wire.

Woodduck - Our concrete mesh cages won't keep a bear out if he wants in, but it seems to be enough of a deterrent that they've been leaving them alone ….... so far. As the trees begin to bear more fruit, I'll have to take other steps like adding more re-bar to the cages and a few other tricks I have planned.

Scott, do you put the pea gravel if that is what it is on the ground cover underneath the ground cover as well just on top of the ground cover? And about how deep do you put the pea gravel? Has your system worked to keep rodents from tunneling under the ground cover?

Further does anyone have an issue with rodents tunneling under the ground cover?

Good points Willie and especially on the less cuts to make. ThankS.

BowsnBucks it is sounding like the system of switching to a narrower fence once the tree gets larger and is fruiting well might be quite optimum. The few trees I have raised to maturity were done by enclosing an entire acre but once the trees started heavy fruiting the issue of how to give deer access eventually surfaced just as it evidently does with the cages.

Further does anyone have an issue with rodents tunneling under the ground cover?

Only with fruit trees. I put a 6"-8" diameter wire cloth mesh around the trunk. Cut 3" tabs at the bottom to fold outward. Then put gravel around on top of the mesh.

Scott, do you put the pea gravel if that is what it is on the ground cover underneath the ground cover as well just on top of the ground cover? And about how deep do you put the pea gravel? Has your system worked to keep rodents from tunneling under the ground cover?

BowsnBucks it is sounding like the system of switching to a narrower fence once the tree gets larger and is fruiting well might be quite optimum. The few trees I have raised to maturity were done by enclosing an entire acre but once the trees started heavy fruiting the issue of how to give deer access eventually surfaced just as it evidently does with the cages.

You probably don’t have pocket gophers. They tunnel in from 6-18 inches under the soil surface. PIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had trouble with rodents tunneling when I had weed barrier with mulch around my trees. I have since removed it and now just pull weeds and carefully spray around the bases. When I spray Gly I take a 3ft x 3ft piece of cardboard and fold it in half and place the ''V'' around the tree to protect from any overspray.... so far I haven't killed any trees.

I put the fabric down and slit it to one edge and I use 6 landscape staples to hold the fabric down, one each corner and 2 on the slit. No pea stone under the fabric just on top about an inch, I put window screen around the tree and flare the bottom out some and mound the pea stone on it to hold the screen down. I haven't had any bad luck with rodents burrowing under the fabric.

You probably don’t have pocket gophers. They tunnel in from 6-18 inches under the soil surface. PIA.

Correct Sandbur have never even heard of a pocket gopher. We do however have lots of voles *and field mice and I can see how they might be attracted to the area under a cloth especially with light (weight wise) mulch on top of it. Possibly the pea gravel being heavy compared to vegetative mulches may make crawling under it not so inviting. When I release the wild apple trees I always leave sentry trees around each wild apple tree grove on the property; The sentry tree users don't get all of the bad actors but I'm certain it helps.
*I have not seen the voles but am told there are a lot of them in this area so it is more assumed they are there than known from experience.

Thanks for the tip Treespud; it is not a big deal to cut the tabs but the payback could be. will do!

Woodduck, I also spray around my trees when they are young and also use cardboard as a precaution. In addition either a plastic container is duct taped to the end of the spray nozzle or the spray is shot thru a home depot bucket that the bottom has been cut out of. A rope is tied to the bucket of the handle to facilitate moving the bucket without bending down to catch the handle hundreds of times a day.

Scott44, glad to hear your anti-rodent system with the window screen and pea gravel is working as it is also for Treespud and it shall be used here this spring.

Thank you guys. just when it looks like we have covered this subject completely more significant details surface. All of you that have contributed to this thread have created a GREAT how to protect tree plantings thread. Saaaaaaaaalute!

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^

what he said

bill

We use fine crushed limestone chips to a depth of about 4" on top of our fabric. I learned it from a local orchard owner and someone on here about 2012 or so. I think the combined weight and the sharpness of the chips makes tunneling painful and miserable to rodents. No problems so far. We have local limestone quarries, so it's fairly inexpensive.

Yeah cutting those tabs to help hold the screen down is a great idea. I never thought of that. Good tip.

This thread is disappointing! I’ve planned on planting thousands of white pine and Fraser fir to add diversity on our place. Zero chance I could cage that many. I had no idea deer like to eat white pine that much.

^^^ It's easier if you do like I did. My buddy gave me 50 small white pine once and I waited a year before caging em. Much easier to do the only 3 survivors instead of 50....

Sounds like me. Pretty sure they ate 990/990 of my 4a Norway Spruce plugs. Deer can be real d*cks.

This thread is disappointing! I’ve planned on planting thousands of white pine and Fraser fir to add diversity on our place. Zero chance I could cage that many. I had no idea deer like to eat white pine that much.

I think it really depends on your area, deer density and how hungry the deer get in the middle of winter. I think white pines are a lower preference food for deer but if they don't have a lot of other higher preference food available they will eat them. I have literally thousands of naturally seeded white pine seedlings on my land and I don't notice any signs of browsing but the deer just decimated the 20 Fraser firs I planted. I know there are local Christmas tree farmers that successfully plant hundreds of acres with Fraser firs. So maybe its all about the numbers available to the deer in your area.

I think it really depends on your area, deer density and how hungry the deer get in the middle of winter. I think white pines are a lower preference food for deer but if they don't have a lot of other higher preference food available they will eat them. I have literally thousands of naturally seeded white pine seedlings on my land and I don't notice any signs of browsing but the deer just decimated the 20 Fraser firs I planted. I know there are local Christmas tree farmers that successfully plant hundreds of acres with Fraser firs. So maybe its all about the numbers available to the deer in your area.

I’m in Fraser country as well, Ashe County NC.

My deer treated my baby pines like dinner mints

bill
Mine also. They didn’t wait for winter though. They ate the whole 500 baby pines here within days after planting them. For desert they ate 100 oak tree seedlings and 100 maple tree seedlings. They mostly spared the spruce until winter; Capping the spruce as Bucksutherland does probably would have saved many of the spruce. Around twenty of the spruce planted along the road made it on their own and have grown into beautiful trees. We had no clue.

Welcome to the learning curve. Wait till you get antsy or are cheap and take a cage off when the pine tree is 5-6' high, only to see it rubbed & snapped to a 2' stump. :emoji_astonished: