All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

moist soil

krup

Yearling... With promise
Is there any Crab or Pear that grows in moist soil? I have a muck field i'm converting to wildlife habitat.

Wildlife group sells a crabapple that is advertised as being able to do well in moist soil. Their web site says Zones 4-9, but I can't personally vouch for that. The following is from their web site:

SOUTHERN CRABAPPLE – Thicket-forming native crabapple tree with straight, often fluted trunk and rounded, dense crown of spreading branches. Beautiful showy flowers in the spring. This plant is highly susceptible to apple cedar rust. Plant in areas free of cedar trees. Unlike most crabapples it does well in wet or moist soils.

PS: I would recommend putting your Zone in your information so that it shows up. I looked at your previous post and saw it, but doing that will make it easier for folks to help you out.

I do have one of these from another source, and it is big enough to be fruiting but hasn't done so yet. It looks very healthy. Mine is not in wet soil.

Good luck and best wishes.

Malus Fusca, Pacific crab, is good for wetter areas. Raintree Nursery sells seedlings for rootstock. I have 2 planted along a spring in an old pasture but not right in the wet. Those are only a couple years old and not caged well.

If you could mound it up in spots, that would help other rootstocks.

Where are you located? I live in the piedmont of NC, and have a wildlife clearing in a creek bottom that floods in early spring. I have planted Mallus Fusca, southern crab, Dolgo and a few Antonokova rootstocks, all bare root. After about 4 years the pacific crabs are still alive, but have only grown about a foot and have problems with powdery mildew. The southern crab has done well on creekbanks, but is a CAR magnet. If you have cedars within half a mile you will have problems. The Dolgo is doing fine, but the best growth has been from the rootstock Antonokovas. They have survived one season of flooding, and in the first season the 18" whips grew to over 7' tall.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll make some small mounds and try a few Dolgo and southern crab.

I think GTO One brings up a good point about Malus Fusca. It is native to the coastal area from Northern California to Alaska. While it works in wet areas, it also likes cool areas. It probably won't work well in a lot of areas that have hot summers. It probably is not that cold hardy either so there may not be a lot of places to grow it successfully.