MN Deer poaching case, "Capt. Cory Palmer said he has never such an extreme case"

This guy needs to go to prison. Such an abuse is crimminal and letting guys walk so easily is wrong.

I think this goes on more than we would want to know. Did you ever wonder where all the bucks that you get to 3 1/2 years old that you know survived gun season but you never see again.

The same thing happened at ATK, but the poachers were not caught. The years prior to this, 6-8, 8 or better were see on trail cameras on our farm. DNR personel flew over ATK in 2012, commented on to many deer to accurately count. Last 2 years, trail cameras indicated 3 total 8 or better.

One hour south of my farm. I know some guys that hunt that area, bucks are down they say. I wonder why?

Wonder how many other ones they got away with??? I used to know one of the guys back in the day when I went to Ridgewater in Willmar. Throw the book at em!!

I like your sig Buck... :)

Where ya been man??

I hope they get the book thrown at them. I'd love to be the one to set the punishment.

First off these guys should have their bags cut!:mad: The restitution should be the average MN outfitters fee for a one week hunt for each buck killed and whatever initial fine is attached to that deer as well. Poaching on this scale needs to be made a felony offense with a firearm. Scumbags!

Kinda sounds blown up in a way. I in no way condone breaking laws but it sounds more like using other peoples tags kind of hunting and not reporting harvests. I mean he was not caught spotlighting or was not charged with a felony. Wrong is wrong but this write up sounds a little worse than the charges imply.

My bad..I see he was caught in the one case in another state. Just seems like alot of deer there with very little charges. What was up with the 8pt in the truck when pulled over? Untagged, Someone else's tags? The truck taken?

Last edited:
The article says the truck WAS taken and is gonna be auctioned w/ proceeds going to the Game fund or such.

People like that are the type to brag and show off their he-man-hunter " trophies " to others so others will think they're great hunters. If you have to poach to get deer, it only proves one thing - that you're a piss-poor excuse for a hunter and that's the only way you can kill deer / elk like that. I'd LOVE to be the judge !!

The article says the truck WAS taken and is gonna be auctioned w/ proceeds going to the Game fund or such.

People like that are the type to brag and show off their he-man-hunter " trophies " to others so others will think they're great hunters. If you have to poach to get deer, it only proves one thing - that you're a piss-poor excuse for a hunter and that's the only way you can kill deer / elk like that. I'd LOVE to be the judge !!
Thats my point. Was the buck in the back not tagged? Someone elses tag? Why is that truck being taken? Cant believe a truck can be taken unless that truck was involved and caught breaking the law. Just seems that this story is missing alot. No felony charges? Bringing deer out of CWD positive state? Seems fishy?

Scumbag power rankings
1. Spotlighters
2. Road hunters
3. The guy who has never heard of bag limits
4. Trespassers
5. Out of season poachers
6. Unlicensed "hunters"

Most POS have the honor of claiming a majority of these.

Thats my point. Was the buck in the back not tagged? Someone elses tag? Why is that truck being taken? Cant believe a truck can be taken unless that truck was involved and caught breaking the law. Just seems that this story is missing alot. No felony charges? Bringing deer out of CWD positive state? Seems fishy?
Unfortunately, none of those charges carry felony penalties. They also cannot be accumulated to reach felony status, each charge is it's own count. And yes they can take your truck if it is suspected you used it to transport any one of those illegal deer anywhere, even if it was to get them from the taxidermist shop to his home. He had to transport them somehow, he got them to and from the woods, and to and from the taxidermist, thus they have probable cause to confiscate his truck. Unless of course, he would like to tell the nice judge how/who transported those deer for/with him and what vehicle they used to do so, then they might not confiscate HIS truck? I'm betting he didn't use all 37 guns they took to kill those deer either, but that is the chance you take when you break game laws. Fully within the law to do everything those wardens did.

Line them up - have them dig a hole each - ask if they want to see it coming or not - and bang! The next one in line can cover up the previous one. Tax dollars only pay for 1 shovel, 4 pine boxes, 4 bullets and the labor to cover the last one. I'll donate all of the above it needed!

First thing that came to my mind is that poachers are probably not seeing any bucks to shoot at night either in MN. This guy probably had to work really hard to find a mature buck to poach. What a jack a**.... Ban the guy from ever hunting in any state.

I cant even wrap my mind around how someone can let things go so far without extreme fear of being caught.

Several years ago, I shot a spike buck thinking it was a doe..... I burned my only buck tag for the year on him and never thought twice about it.... I just cant fathom the thought process that takes place to go to the extent of what these guys did.

For your information, he was already banned from hunting because of a 2013 conviction. Just as people that bait and get caught again, punishment does not stop slobs. Maybe the law should read, x number taken showing disregard for accidents, time to put ankle bracelets on them, common criminals. You wonder why ASPCA has field days with what happened. I guess they think all hunters are slobs.

I turned myself in to the DNR over a mistake I made once waterfowl hunting because of the guilt. Most folks told me to toss it over the hill and forget it - sorry I couldn't do it. The officer was pretty cool and I got a written warning - I was willing to take whatever came of it. I screwed up and I was willing to face the music for it. I can't imagine having to keep all the lies straight and the like - I would be an absolute wreck.

What kills me is how these guys want to be seen as some sort of "deer hunting god" and they are the furthest you could get from that. I am not sure the punishment will matter - here is a fair chance they won;t pay the restitution and taking the hunting right away didn't stop them before. What ever happened to the punishment being something to be afraid of?

What ever happened to true capital punishment? Poaching is stealing - start cutting off fingers!

I googled Josh Liebl and found an article from 2005, unfortunately you have to have a subscription to see the full article. It would be interesting to see what is in the full article.
http://www.wctrib.com/users/newswctribcom?page=3196

Will patience be a virtue?
Sat, Dec 10, 2005 - 12:00am
MONTEVIDEO -- Deer hunting changed for the better for Josh Liebl about four years ago, when he and his hunting partners made a pact. They would take no buck unless its antlers were worthy of decorating a wall. Liebl, of Boyd, and his hunting partners have passed up lots of shots on small bucks ever since, but their hunting grounds in Lac qui Parle County are a lot more interesting these days. "We're seeing more big bucks, definitely.

I think in threads like this it is good to use the name of all persons involved to make sure that if anyone is ever looking them up related to a job or something like that it has a better chance of being found through google, bing or something like that. The individuals involved:
http://www.startribune.com/local/289202921.html
Joshua Liebl, 37, of Dawson, Minn. Under a multistate enforcement compact, Liebl lost his hunting privileges in Minnesota in 2013 because of a shining conviction in South Dakota. Liebl faces gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor charges that include transporting illegally taken big game, using artificial light while hunting, hunting at a prohibited time, trespassing and failure to register deer.

Kevin J. Martinson, 58, of Plymouth, accused of illegally lending or borrowing a deer license.

Nathan J. Viessman, 32, of Watson, Minn., accused of illegal party hunting, lending or borrowing a deer license, exceeding the limit of deer taken and failure to register deer.

Daniel J. Lien, 33, of Dawson, a passenger in Liebl’s truck when it was stopped, accused of aiding and abetting unlawful transportation of big game.