MN bills introduced to allow crossbows during archery season.

I would say, " In my area yes but..." If the DNR would quit conducting deer surveys during the winter when deer are coming from miles away to feed in farmers silage bags. The deer are only over populated in a couple of places in my area and that is largely due to my previous sentence and its only certain time of the year. Part of it has to do with the small family farmers retiring. There is state land around here that at one time was a winter deer mecca. 25% of the corn or beans that was planted on it had to be left standing for the wildlife. Those fields were run by smaller acreage farmers. Most of the farmers around now are bigger operations with big debt and they don't have the time or the smaller equipment to mess with smaller fields especially when they have to leave 25% in the field. People around here that hunt eat a lot of venison. Private and public hunters alike.
Interesting. So there is state land doesn't get planted because it's not financially beneficial to a farmer anymore?

Minnesota has gone downhill as a deer hunting state since the late 90s/early 2000. Too many seasons, too many weapons. Too many tags in some areas. Poor timing of the gun season, now crossbows! It never ends. The early June fawn season will be next !

I still get out and hunt in Minnesota , but have very low expectations. I’ve shot a a handful of nice bucks in 40 years of hunting, but when I add up the days I spend in the field and the nice properties I have. It’s average at best .

It’s too bad because we could be a top 3 state!…It’s like having a Patrick Mahomes on your team, but he’s sitting on the bench behind Josh Dobbs !

About the same as if there was sudden rise in landowners selling their mineral rights and one said the trend is "Eliminating private landowners rights to their property". They'd still own certain rights and it wouldn't be "volunteering their kids or grandkids to not being able to own land".
Not much different than giving away free hamburgers to people getting the jab. Selling mineral rights to a private corporation is entirely different that the government.

It’s too bad because we could be a top 3 state!…It’s like having a Patrick Mahomes on your team, but he’s sitting on the bench behind Josh Dobbs !
And playing Dobbs is because the teams Owner's interests are better fulfilled by playing Dobbs and the majority of fans were somehow hoodwinked into thinking they wanted Dobbs playing.

And playing Dobbs is because the teams Owner's interests are better fulfilled by playing Dobbs and the majority of fans were somehow hoodwinked into thinking they wanted Dobbs playing.
Hoodwinked? You mean like when some Billionaire asshole convinces the taxpayers to build them a stadium because it will bring in so much revenue to the community even though the team only rents the facility about 8 weeks out of the year even though the private events is where all of the money is at?

Minnesota is run by terrible people. Walz, Klobuchar,Smith, Omar, Ellison to name a few … It’s sad. Beautiful state, that needs to change politically!

The DNR might be good people ? But they don’t know how to manage wildlife or fish !

Minnesota is run by terrible people. Walz, Klobuchar,Smith, Omar, Ellison to name a few … It’s sad. Beautiful state, that needs to change politically!

The DNR might be good people ? But they don’t know how to manage wildlife or fish !

Whole lotta people in the DNR with diverse priorities, values, backgrounds to just say good or bad. Unfortunately leadership and direction is largely driven by the types mentioned in the first sentence. Doesn't mean we should dump on all the people doing their best with what they're given.

Yeah, I dont like the idea of x-bows in archery season for all because of potential to decrease quality of existing archery and firearm seasons. Don't much care about what fred bear would have thought or what is/isn't "archery" or any purist views on what bow hunting should or shouldn't be.
I find it awesome that we have such abundance of resources in general that we can be picky about how we gather individual resources based on anything other than efficiency. In my personal ranking, venison donation programs are a bigger threat than crossbows. I like the idea of earn-a-buck in areas that need numbers reduced but don't see that working without venison donation programs, so I'm conflicted.

How many more tags would you want and actually use? How many other hunters have access to these properties?
More than I can get now, and as many as I buy.

A few friend's kids and myself. Hard to get kids on board with doe harvest, most of them want to wait for the big rack to show up. Once my kids are of age, we will have enough tags to better keep things in check.

More than I can get now, and as many as I buy.

A few friend's kids and myself. Hard to get kids on board with doe harvest, most of them want to wait for the big rack to show up. Once my kids are of age, we will have enough tags to better keep things in check.
You must be in SE Minnesota? A large swath of Minnesota has low deer populations!

Don't mistake this as a wholesale endorsement of the entirety of the conservation easement program but to call it "eliminating private lands" is a misdirection on what the conservation easements actually are.
In my mind, private land that's had it's land use rights stripped away isn't really private land. Sure you get to keep trespassers off it, but beyond that, your options begin to dry up. I'm sure there are all sorts of easements, but I wouldn't want anyone telling me I can't dig, graze, log, clear, plant, plow, spray, build, divide, etc. To me, land is the absolute essence of being free.

It's about clean water, clean food, ability to escape the degeneration of big city life, and having a place to soak up something that is real. I'm afraid that door is closing quickly, if it ain't already closed.

I find it awesome that we have such abundance of resources in general that we can be picky about how we gather individual resources based on anything other than efficiency. In my personal ranking, venison donation programs are a bigger threat than crossbows. I like the idea of earn-a-buck in areas that need numbers reduced but don't see that working without venison donation programs, so I'm conflicted.

Venison donation programs are a bigger threat to the quality of hunting than crossbows?

You must be in SE Minnesota? A large swath of Minnesota has low deer populations!
I understand I'm in the minority with my position, and if my property was located another 1/2 mile in one direction, I'd be in a CWD zone and could get those tags.

In my mind, private land that's had it's land use rights stripped away isn't really private land. Sure you get to keep trespassers off it, but beyond that, your options begin to dry up. I'm sure there are all sorts of easements, but I wouldn't want anyone telling me I can't dig, graze, log, clear, plant, plow, spray, build, divide, etc. To me, land is the absolute essence of being free.

It's about clean water, clean food, ability to escape the degeneration of big city life, and having a place to soak up something that is real. I'm afraid that door is closing quickly, if it ain't already closed.
Is the idea that having fewer acres of developable land has/will increase the value of land that isn't under such easements to where it becomes out of reach?

I'd guess that Interest rate changes in 2022 impacted peoples ability to afford land magnitudes more than the loss conservation easement free land due to LSOHF.

Wonder what the conversations were like when they approved compound bows?

Is the idea that having fewer acres of developable land has/will increase the value of land that isn't under such easements to where it becomes out of reach?

I'd guess that Interest rate changes in 2022 impacted peoples ability to afford land magnitudes more than the loss conservation easement free land due to LSOHF.
Every square inch of land bought by the state drives up the price of private land. Every conservation easement sold reduces the value of said property but it increases the value of private land without any easements in place. Even if the economy would completely crash i don't see the land price changing all that much. There will always be people that have more money than what they can loose.

Wonder what the conversations were like when they approved compound bows?
To play devils advocate I don’t find the leap between longbow/recurve to compound to be as great as compound to crossbow. I could get a crossbow, have my wife shoot it a handful of times with zero physical effort to get the scope sighted in, set her in a blind and kill a deer in the same day. And she has zero business hunting, especially in archery season. You don’t have to draw, practice, worry as much about range, get standing, etc like you do with a bow. It’s not archery, it’s not a gun, it’s a hybrid between both. Should be used in gun season.