MN bears in the corn

B

bat man

My 1.5 acres MDHA corn dimpled weeks ago and is drying out nicely.

If I pull the efence now will the bears still wreck it? Guys are telling me when it goes past the milk stage the bear lay off the corn.

Pull it now or wait a few more weeks?

I don't know the answer, I have heard the same thing that the bears lay off it once it starts to dry. How effective has the E-fence been? What brand or system are you using? Do you have a problem with bears tearing down the fence? Our corn has been almost completely destroyed by bears.

95% of the bear damage on our property in WI is done before the corn dimples. I know they still eat dry corn because you can see it in their massive bear pies that they leave everywhere, but the big bear crop circles seem to be made when the corn is green. It's been a pretty good acorn and berry year in WI and MN this year, so I'm guessing the bears on your land will have lots of options. I would expect them to eat a little of the dry corn if you pull the fence, but there will be plenty left for the deer. I'd pull it.

I don't know the answer, I have heard the same thing that the bears lay off it once it starts to dry. How effective has the E-fence been? What brand or system are you using? Do you have a problem with bears tearing down the fence? Our corn has been almost completely destroyed by bears.
I used 5 strands of regular fence wire, 6 to 10 inch live DBH trees for corner posts and some t posts for the straight runs. Left some corn outside the fence to compare and the bear and coon got into that, but no damage inside fence.

About $300 to do the 1.5 acres, but I can use it for years to come.

Years past corn is a total fail because of bear issues.

Brooks-do you really need the feed for the deer now, or would it be better for the herd to wait a bit?

I say wait.

My MDHA corn is about at the same maturity as your corn, but much of it flooded out. So far the deer are not using it.

IMG_9027.JPG