Missouri Rifle Opener This Weekend!

Drive SE across the border. My daughter saw 10 different bucks this afternoon. 6 chasing one doe. Only one big enough to shoot and it never ran under 30mph she said to even try to shoot! hahahahaa, welcome to the rut!

Whats this rut thing u speak of? ;)

6 bucks chasing one doe. Holy shit.
Thats 3 times as many as i have seen this year total. Lollll

Drive SE across the border. My daughter saw 10 different bucks this afternoon. 6 chasing one doe. Only one big enough to shoot and it never ran under 30mph she said to even try to shoot! hahahahaa, welcome to the rut!
I saw 2 dogs chasing 1 doe....that's pretty close

Whats this rut thing u speak of? ;)

6 bucks chasing one doe. Holy shit.
Thats 3 times as many as i have seen this year total. Lollll

Come to Missouri my friend, most incredible run deer hunting state in the nation! Really Is! Tags over the counter and you can shoot 3 bucks a year if you want! And there are more than 3 bucks to shoot at!

Was at the Locker in Ridgeway MO this morning. Deer brought in is down 15% from this time last year. Very few bigger bucks so far as well! And man is it cold and blowing this morning. Not nice out!

Was at the Locker in Ridgeway MO this morning. Deer brought in is down 15% from this time last year. Very few bigger bucks so far as well! And man is it cold and blowing this morning. Not nice out!

Never thought I would say this but you sound like Lou and Leslie now! You are just lucky the corn is out-

I walked the long way out in this snow we got after this mornings hunt through a pretty big cedar thicket and I didn't see any but there was plenty of tracks

The cold weather is killing our season here this year. People arent accustomed to hunting in this type of weather here, generaly t-shirt weather in the afternoons during rifle season. As a taxidermist I have NEVER had to deal with completely frozen deer carcass' here during rifle season. Where is global warming when you need it!

Never thought I would say this but you sound like Lou and Leslie now! You are just lucky the corn is out-

Half the corn is still in down here old wise one!

From what I gather it is so cold guys don't bring there deer in as fast. They just leave them hang, then drop them off on the way out of dodge. I would say when all said and done, harvest will be ok from what I gather.

Here you go Brooks. Things are right on pace. Remember this is Missouri not MN!

Firearms opening-weekend deer harvest tops 91,000, up by 30,000 from 2013

Top harvest counties were Franklin, Howell, and Callaway.

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) reports that hunters checked 91,460 deer during the opening weekend of the 2014 November Portion of Firearms Deer Season this past weekend. Top harvest counties for the opening weekend were Franklin with 1,839 deer checked, Howell with 1,793, and Callaway with 1,791.

Last year's firearms opening weekend deer harvest was 61,446. Other recent prior-year harvest totals for firearms opening weekend were: 2012: 69,614; 2011: 89,728, 2010: 97,856, and 2009: 86,202.

For 2014 harvest totals by hunting portion and county, visit mdc.mo.gov/node/29442.

MDC also reports that there were three deer-hunting incidents over the weekend with two being fatal. One fatality was in Ste. Genevieve County where a heater in a hunting blind exploded, killing the hunter. The second involved a fall from a tree stand in Crawford County. A third non-fatal incident involved a hunter in Phelps County shooting himself in the leg while loading his rifle.

Rut is intense in states like Iowa and Missouri.

Last year I shot a buck on my Iowa farm. As I was gutting it, another buck the same size chased a doe right by me.

Oblivious to me.

I ended up seeing 12-13 bucks within a two hour stretch and at least half were 125-140 inch.

The chase can be insane on a cold day in November.

My buddy was in Iowa all last week.... his report..... First time down there, and said he had great antipication... it was 10 times better than he could have ever imagined..... and hunted public land the entire week! He didnt tag a buck, but 2 of the guys he was with did get to tag out.
Even though he didnt get a deer, he said it was incredible to watch deer live their lives in a "natural" setting...... bucks and does walking all times of the day and looking comfortable.... I cant recall what its like to watch deer in a "natural" setting.... sad shit.

Show me one guy in the entire state of MN that can give a glowing report on deer hunting on public land..... ugh.....

Touche'...........