Micanthus Giganteus

Scott,
Nice looking place.

Your update reminded me to go do something. The rain let up enough for me to get in the flower bed.

I bent and buried 2. This should be interesting.

Don't know if I should have but I cut the blades off the nodes going under ground.

D1E4A5AC-A4F6-43D7-ABBC-C9FA75372247-1135-0000024F4B8FFDE0_zpseb83d3fa.jpg

B2FB3942-61B9-490D-A859-F2A120B4545E-1135-0000024F32A118B8_zps8271ce07.jpg

Scott,
Nice looking place.

Your update reminded me to go do something. The rain let up enough for me to get in the flower bed.

I bent and buried 2. This should be interesting.

Don't know if I should have but I cut the blades off the nodes going under ground.

Thanks Bill, I planted 10 rhizomes in our yard this spring so I can try different things.

Here's what the micanthus looked like this A.M.

This plant is 1/3 again taller than the others, all planted the same day, same treatment everything. The plants on either side of the tall one are the norm on the rest of the screen.

Looking down the screen.

I have a trail cam set up looking towards the screen, the screen is in the background.

Last edited:
^ Great thread. Thanks guys!

Here's what my screen looks like as of this last weekend, most of it is 4' tall. E-wheat starting to grow on the right, e-wheat was planted on 6/8, going to top dress some urea next good rain on the e-wheat.

Bill, is there any updates on the buried stalks?

Bill, is there any updates on the buried stalks?

So far nothing. I haven't dug them up to see if anything is going on below the surface but nothing has broken through the top.

I think cuttings are the way to go. Though I may try a severed stalk just to see.

As quick growing as they seem to be I figured that you would have at least a couple sprouts.

With a little weed/grass control I think this screen would have done alot better this year, most of it is 6' tall. The micanthus started sprouting earlier than I thought it would so I didn't get it sprayed.

Looking down the screen, e-wheat on the left and michanthus on the right.

I didn't run the e-wheat all the way to the end so I have a gap, hoping this will fill in next year.

Last edited:
My biggest grower is over 4.5' as well, and put on 3 stalks. Most are about 40" and I'm thrilled because they're not getting much direct sun where I planted them.

Scott,
They look great!

For those who didn't catch it, the bent over stalks were a failure. They was no rot growth at all.