Mfl closed

I am completely willing to play by the rules of the contract. I guess it would just be nice if the rules were crystal clear so I didn't have to call a lawyer to see if I can cut a tree down or not :)
I wonder what a forester would say about the 50 or so ironwoods trees that we have on the west end of our hardwoods? I cant imagine as slow as they grow that they will ever be of any timber value. I know my saw hates them.
My forester put in my contract that the loggers were to remove every ironwood that they came across. This is a example of why a forester is so valuable. A lot of people that own woods don't even know what a ironwood looks like. A good mfl plan should address how to deal with ironwood,buckthorn,and invasives. They told me that the cutting of firewood was encouraged,but this was only dead trees or blowdowns. I think they have to draw a line in the sand just so people don't try to cheat.

$500 to $1000
My forester was $500 for the mfl plan. He gave me a discount because I had hired him a couple of years before to manage my 80 acres and set up a timber sale. He did a outstanding job,very happy with the way it turned out.

My forester was $500 for the mfl plan. He gave me a discount because I had hired him a couple of years before to manage my 80 acres and set up a timber sale. He did a outstanding job,very happy with the way it turned out.
Ruskbucks I assume your in Rusk county? That is where my property is.

My forester put in my contract that the loggers were to remove every ironwood that they came across. This is a example of why a forester is so valuable. A lot of people that own woods don't even know what a ironwood looks like. A good mfl plan should address how to deal with ironwood,buckthorn,and invasives. They told me that the cutting of firewood was encouraged,but this was only dead trees or blowdowns. I think they have to draw a line in the sand just so people don't try to cheat.

As with most things, value is based on ones objectives. As a timber tree, ironwood has no value, but in areas with little aspen, ironwood catkins are an important winter food for grouse. Turkeys love it when they have heavy seed crops and scratch up the ground big time.
Now I get it as I have an overabundance of ironwood from past poor management before acquiring my woods. So reducing the level of ironwood to promote other trees to grow makes sense. But for diversity I don't want them all gone. They are also a very disease resistant tree.
My butternut are all dead (butternut canker). My elms are about 90% gone (dutch elm disease). My hickory are now trying to be all dead (hickory decline). Up next to be laid waste are ash (emerald ash borer). EAB is not yet in my county but EVERY county to the south of me has detected populations. I also have been planting oaks since wiped out with previous high grading and cows later in the woods. However on some family land a couple counties south, big patches of oaks are dying from oak wilt. Did I mention that diversity is good? Ask a forester and every ironwood is junk. Ask a biologist and you might get a different answer.

As with most things, value is based on ones objectives. As a timber tree, ironwood has no value, but in areas with little aspen, ironwood catkins are an important winter food for grouse. Turkeys love it when they have heavy seed crops and scratch up the ground big time.
Now I get it as I have an overabundance of ironwood from past poor management before acquiring my woods. So reducing the level of ironwood to promote other trees to grow makes sense. But for diversity I don't want them all gone. They are also a very disease resistant tree.
My butternut are all dead (butternut canker). My elms are about 90% gone (dutch elm disease). My hickory are now trying to be all dead (hickory decline). Up next to be laid waste are ash (emerald ash borer). EAB is not yet in my county but EVERY county to the south of me has detected populations. I also have been planting oaks since wiped out with previous high grading and cows later in the woods. However on some family land a couple counties south, big patches of oaks are dying from oak wilt. Did I mention that diversity is good? Ask a forester and every ironwood is junk. Ask a biologist and you might get a different answer.
I totally agree on the diversity, that's how I try to manage my land. I like to have grass fields,ag land,swamps,pines, high land hard woods,tag alder, etc. The same with trees and plants. I like to have a little of everything. Diversity is the key. The forester put to take out all the ironwood because, otherwise the loggers would of just left them alone because they don't want them. The last thing you want after a cutting is to leave a bunch of non desirable trees there to thrive spreading there seed. Now they are the ones that are going to take over because they are left with no competition. I still have ironwood in my woods, because there was no way they could find everyone. A few of them here is fine,just as long as they start taking over areas.

Yes, I'm a few miles out of Bruce.

Funny, I just learned where Bruce was this weekend after I talked with my uncle about a late 60s PUG he wants to restore. One of the earlier ones without much for hydraulics

I am a forester and I have asked numerous biologists about ironwood. As a general rule ironwood is over-represented in most hardwood stands. Especially ones that gave been pastured or otherwise damaged in the past. One of my best friends is a biologist and always advocated for ironwood because he thought they were great for wildlife-especially birds. I asked several others about their opinions and most said they were valuable, but no more so than any other tree that generated seed and/or mast. Basswood, maple, cherry, etc all provide as much or more value.

As said above, diversity is always the key. In general because ironwood is over-represented I mark all larger ironwood for removal and my loggers will pull most smaller ones they come across. Ironwood are native, but they are pretty aggressive and there is little worry about them vanishing from the landscape.

For those that don't know, ironwood is great for fuel. It burns so hot you can ruin a stove if you burn too much at once.

Blue beech (muscle wood) is another species that I discriminate against hard. They can choke out other vegetation and have no commercial or utilitarian value.

JT I think we are on the same page but your list of basswood, maple, cherry, etc offer nothing for late fall or winter or about the half the year when things get tuff. Timing when available is important too. And yes I would trade lots of ironwood for one oak instead.

We're just a few miles N out of Bruce as well. In case anyone is wondering what a pug is here is a picture of one.

Attachments

• Big 8.jpg
    Big 8.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 20
We're just a few miles N out of Bruce as well. In case anyone is wondering what a pug is here is a picture of one.
I for one was wondering

I for one was wondering
They really are quite a machine. Articulated in the middle. Passengers over front tires and cart over back tires. The articulation allows 2 tires to always be on the ground. You can go up and over logs and much more. Not at a all fast but will go over and through most anything. They were built in Bruce WI. We always wanted to take a Toyota 4 Runner and articulate it in the middle like these and call it a Pugota. :-0