Mesh fencing

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
Hey all,

I hope you're enjoying your Friday night!

Have any of you ever used a plastic mesh style fencing? It wouldn't be for fruit trees, but I figured the fruit tree section would know if it kept the critters out! I'd be using it for everything else that I'm planting. I've just been thinking that steel/aluminum would get to be a PITA when only making a one or two foot diameter. What I'm going for is kind of like a 2 foot diameter rigid mesh tube. I can only find the stuff in rolls of 500 feet from China. Lowes and the Depot sell deer mesh stuff, but I'm afraid that it would be too flimsy to have a larger diameter "tube"

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the self bump, but I'm still wondering about this. I'm thinking that maybe I might just get a 60 inch roll of chicken wire. I'm still wondering about the plastic stuff, as I think that would be even easier to work with.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Advice?

Do you mean that mesh netting to keep birds off berries? Two feet is to small for fruit trees.

No, it's sometihng like this http://www.agriculturesolutions.com...tenax-poly-pet-fence-pro-black-5-x-100-detail
which I think is heavier than bird netting. It won't be for my apple trees, but for my other plantings (ninebark, plum, elderberry etc..) I was just wondering if anyone had used something of the sort to know if it was similar to the Rigid mesh tubes. Basically, I want a similar material so that I can make tubes with a wider diameter.

It will work but I think you will need at least 3/4 stakes per tree. Wire (concrete or welded) holds up on it's own and you only need one stake. Wire is cheaper than the two links you showed too. I know what you mean about making smaller enclosures but I have used that mesh and its not to easy to work with, plus you will need added stakes.

Last edited:
It will work but I think you will need at least 3/4 stakes per tree. Wire (concrete or welded) holds up on it's own and you only need one stake. Wire is cheaper than the two links you showed too. I know what you mean about making smaller enclosures but I have used that mesh and its not to easy to work with, plus you will need added takes.

I'll keep that in mind! If it's not much easier to work with, then that defeats the purpose of using it!

I think your just a lot better of with wire fence.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I just didn't know if anyone had tried the other stuff.
To be honest, I think that 5 foot poultry wire would be the best. I might even spring for the PVC covered! Welded wire would also.