MDC Nursery Now Taking Orders

Natty Bumppo

5 year old buck +
Just thought I'd let you know...not supposed to go live until 1 November. I just happened to check today and the on-line order forms is up and accepting orders. Placed my order for 200 trees.....mostly oaks.

If you've never bought trees through the MDC I can't recommend it enough. You got to know what you're ordering, as many of their trees aren't suitable for the North. But it's hard to go wrong for $0.40 a pop on a 2' red oak seedling.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd let you know...not supposed to go live until 1 November. I just happened to check today and the on-line order forms is up and accepting orders. Placed my order for 200 trees.....mostly oaks.

If you've never bought trees through the MDC I can't recommend it enough. You got to know what you're ordering, as many of their trees are suitable for the North. But it's hard to go wrong for $0.40 a pop on a 2' red oak seedling.
Never ordered from them but the price sounds right, thanks!

Never ordered from them but the price sounds right, thanks!

They usually ship good stuff. I've ordered from them in the past.

Thanks for posting, Natty. Never ordered from them B-4, but I'm checking them out.

Natty - How does one know how big the seedlings are ?? You said 0.40/ tree for a 2 footer. I didn't see any guidance for seedling sizes. Did I miss something ?? Thanks.

they are typically decent size. I've ordered a few things from them and all has been nice stock, typically in the 18-24" range.
with LARGE roots attached. when I order from them I expect to dig a hole for each item rather than using a planting bar or other tool.

Thanks for posting, Natty. Never ordered from them B-4, but I'm checking them out.

Natty - How does one know how big the seedlings are ?? You said 0.40/ tree for a 2 footer. I didn't see any guidance for seedling sizes. Did I miss something ?? Thanks.

I'll echo what bueller and badger fowl already said....the trees are surprisingly big with nice root masses, anywhere from 18 to 24." And yes, I do end up digging holes too instead of a planting bar.

I'll be putting in another order with them. I tried Loblolly X Pitch Pines from them. They grew but the bad winter we had a couple years ago did them in. It was a test anyway. It was pretty far north for that tree but I'll be getting some for where I live. Inexpensive too.

I'll be putting in another order with them. I tried Loblolly X Pitch Pines from them. They grew but the bad winter we had a couple years ago did them in. It was a test anyway. It was pretty far north for that tree but I'll be getting some for where I live. Inexpensive too.
I tried 25 of them a few years back, in Central WI. A handful made it a couple years but I believe they are all DOA now.

I tried 25 of them a few years back, in Central WI. A handful made it a couple years but I believe they are all DOA now.

I had a few make it through that winter, probably because they were under 4' of snow but I believe they're all dead now. I'll need to look for them next weekend and take some pictures.

I love there stuff. I have had elderberries, and silky dog wood do very well from there. They have survived the two worst winters in the last 100 years.

Just placed my order; Norway spruce, silky dogwood, ninebark, swamp oak. They have really increased the price for out of staters. $40 shipping, but still a good deal.

Just placed my order; Norway spruce, silky dogwood, ninebark, swamp oak. They have really increased the price for out of staters. $40 shipping, but still a good deal.

Awesome chummer! I went with lots red oak and swamp white oak, some sycamore, black cherry....tried some hazelnuts this year, though I'm not sure if they'll take. But at their prices it's cheap enough to try.

Awesome chummer! I went with lots red oak and swamp white oak, some sycamore, black cherry....tried some hazelnuts this year, though I'm not sure if they'll take. But at their prices it's cheap enough to try.
I would imagine you should have luck with hazelnuts. I've never tried planting them but it seems wherever a chipmunk, bear or deer takes a crap a hazelnut shrub pops up. Great shrub to have so I hope they take hold for you. They provide a lot of cover and food in our woods. Spread pretty quick. (at least in our area)
I might try some swamp white oak this year and I'll need a variety of evergreens also.

I planted a bunch of swamp oaks three years ago. Some are still alive but they have put on very little growth. I have a few caged in prime location doing a little better. I planted 20 hazelnuts from SLN this year. Zero browsing and many shooting up from the roots. They are loaded with calkin so I have high hopes for next year. I was scared to try MDC because of the temp difference. Hope they work out for you. I should have tried some. The SLN were pricey but are probably my best shot at growing some kind of nut. Why did you go with black cherry? They make up half my woods so it seems strange when someone else plants them. For their price you can't go wrong trying different things.

I would imagine you should have luck with hazelnuts. I've never tried planting them but it seems wherever a chipmunk, bear or deer takes a crap a hazelnut shrub pops up. Great shrub to have so I hope they take hold for you. They provide a lot of cover and food in our woods. Spread pretty quick. (at least in our area)

Good to know. Thanks.

Why did you go with black cherry? They make up half my woods so it seems strange when someone else plants them. For their price you can't go wrong trying different things.

Good to hear about your hazlenuts. Looking forward to seeing how they do. After I got my land from my MiL last year I did a bunch of TSI last winter. One of my projects was thinning a hardwood stand that was logged about 25 years ago of the young spruce that grew back in thick. I have a TON of spruce of all age classes, but I have almost no early successional stands. This hardwood stand now looks very "park like," a few mature standing trees that they didn't take and nothing on the floor coming up. I just wanted to jump start things a bit by getting in some young native trees...black cherry, poplar, sycamore (for the edge of the small stream that runs through).

Placed my order with them yesterday, thx for the heads up!