Mature Rye Options

Milkweed

Yearling... With promise
I am looking into what options I have for dealing with mature rye and preparing areas that I planted LC mix in last fall. I let the rye stand this spring and allowed the white clover mixture to grow underneath the rye. In most areas, I now have mature (dead/brown) Rye 3-5' tall and a good stand of clover. Some areas also have a good amount of AWP climbing the dead rye stalks.

My plan for fall:
1. Convert a strip along the edge of White Clover for future years.
2. Replant something similar to LC fall mix.
3. Plant a strip of brassica mix

Below are the options/thoughts. I plan to do a combination of them to prepare for fall planting and see how they turn out.

I can Roll/Cultipack, but do not have a no till drill.
Currently I am only able to broadcast/cultipack.

I can leave the rye standing.
I can mow the standing rye closer to fall planting time, to "broadcast" the seed

I can mow now with brush hog to the level of the top of clover. This may release the clover to grow better this summer, but will potentially leave clover susceptible to summer drought conditions.

I also have the ability to spray Gly and possibly can spray some Cleth, (although I do not currently have Cleth)

I have a disc, but do not think it will do much to the thick rye. I have very rocky soil and have not had great luck getting disc to cut in and "disc" up ground. In fact, the best way for me to expose ground, has been to use teeth on boxblade. I am trying to get away from disturbing topsoil as much as possible, but without a drill, I am still looking for the right combination.

If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations as to which combination of options may work best for my fall plantings, I would greatly appreciate it. I will try to get some photos to add when I get a chance.

Thanks for the help.

Currently my favorite method is to just leave the standing rye until you are ready to plant something else. It protects the clover underneath, gives the deer desired cover, and ensures that you will have some free seed when you do replant.

Thanks Bueller. So what do you do when you are ready to plant?

If you going right back to rye I would roll the rye down around the time you would normally plant it. Remember you have lots of free seed so you won't have to broadcast a "normal" amount of rye, if any. Broadcast seed, LC mix is great, prior to rolling. The clover will survive so I wouldnt add much if any depending on how thick it is at that time.

If rotating the plot to something like brassicas you probably should spray gly. You may be able to spray before rolling or you can broadcast seed, roll, and then spray but you may not get 100% kill this way.

Bueller make sure you give us some pics. in the dipper rotation. If a guy from Chicago can do it anyone can. haha, just kidding
Hey those brewers haven't flopped yet. They are a pretty good team, don't think they have what it takes to win it all. Those Cards always seem to have their number.

Bueller make sure you give us some pics. in the dipper rotation. If a guy from Chicago can do it anyone can. haha, just kidding
Hey those brewers haven't flopped yet. They are a pretty good team, don't think they have what it takes to win it all. Those Cards always seem to have their number.

I hope to get back up in a week or two and will take some more photos.

Cardinals M.O.= stay in the hunt until August and September and then kick it into high gear. Hopefully this year is the same.